Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

DX10 Users Poll

DX10 User Poll  

860 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Use the DX10 Preview Mode in FSX?

• Yes, exclusively
    • No
    • I switch between DX10 and Standard Mode

I use it exclusively as everything I own or have installed now was made for FSX.  I remember when DX10 Preview first arrived in SP2/Acceleration and many individuals started to use it and found it provided greater immersion in FSX with the shadows in the cockpit and the enhanced water that changed with the weather.  The fps went up higher too but then the excitement was short-lived as everyone started seeing some anomalies, like no taxi arrows or flickering runways and taxiways at many airports.  Some on the Microsoft Aces Team blamed Nvidia for the anomalies and were hoping Nvidia would come up with a fix.  They didn't and now we know, through Steve's DX10 Fix, that the fix was pretty simple with some modification with the DX10 shader files (the fix does not touch DX9 files).  So, most of the anomalies have been fixed, it's better technology than DX9 (duh!), and it provides better fps.  Developers are also coming around and making their products compatible with DX10 as it makes their product(s) work much better in FSX (the FSDT products comes to mind).  Steve is working on more enhancements and fixes for night lighting and some airport fixes and we are all anticipating the release of this product.  One important element of DX10 is the fact that you can go back to DX9 whenever you want without worrying about your DX9 products no longer working or having to change your fsx.cfg and display driver settings.  The same settings work for both DX9 and DX10!  Of course you can make some minor changes if you like if you think it will make things better but you really do not have to modify anything.  Just install the fix, enable DX10 Preview, and GoFly.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Have been using DX10 for more than a year as I find my fps are higher and with less stutters. I also find the overall look to be much nicer than FS9.

I put up with or avoid the sceneries with problems. Didn't know about the likely release of a tool to fix the scenery problems. if it is successful I shall be near the front of the que to try it.

Baz

Barry Wells

not having to see big black squares appearing for a fraction of a second instead of VASI's is alone a good enough reason for me to avoid DX9 like the plague.

Won't even mention better frame rates with higher levels of autogen and a superior depth in colors, absolutely outstanding when coupled with a good SweetFX preset.

Addon Converter X does the rest, and once Steve will have (hopefully) sorted out aircraft lights (my only real issue at the moment), DX10 FSX will be a no-brainer.

dig it, folks :wink:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u198/Lurk1968/fsxexe_2013-05-28-23-43-08-175_zpsc8c11c8b.jpg~original

I use it exclusively as everything I own or have installed now was made for FSX.  I remember when DX10 Preview first arrived in SP2/Acceleration and many individuals started to use it and found it provided greater immersion in FSX with the shadows in the cockpit and the enhanced water that changed with the weather.  The fps went up higher too but then the excitement was short-lived as everyone started seeing some anomalies, like no taxi arrows or flickering runways and taxiways at many airports.  Some on the Microsoft Aces Team blamed Nvidia for the anomalies and were hoping Nvidia would come up with a fix.  They didn't and now we know, through Steve's DX10 Fix, that the fix was pretty simple with some modification with the DX10 shader files (the fix does not touch DX9 files).  So, most of the anomalies have been fixed, it's better technology than DX9 (duh!), and it provides better fps.  Developers are also coming around and making their products compatible with DX10 as it makes their product(s) work much better in FSX (the FSDT products comes to mind).  Steve is working on more enhancements and fixes for night lighting and some airport fixes and we are all anticipating the release of this product.  One important element of DX10 is the fact that you can go back to DX9 whenever you want without worrying about your DX9 products no longer working or having to change your fsx.cfg and display driver settings.  The same settings work for both DX9 and DX10!  Of course you can make some minor changes if you like if you think it will make things better but you really do not have to modify anything.  Just install the fix, enable DX10 Preview, and GoFly.

Best regards,

Jim

I was just about to say the EXACT same thing Jim, but you beat me to it.  :)  Great post.

a total of 96 users is pretty miniscule - especially as self-selecting polls like these have little real value.

This is similar to exit polling, just taking a snapshot of a semi-random sampling.  I agree there are mitigating factors that could skew the results off perfection, but that is true of all polls.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

Not for me, like others don't want to play with the 'possible' features, and I need a stable platform.

When someone releases a 100% fixed and stable 'platform' i will naturally migrate to DX10 

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

For my flying style (GA) and add-ons, DX10 preview suits me perfectly with its enhance water with wind aware whitecaps, cockpit shadows and bloom.  Yet when it comes to night flying (which I do very rarely) I switch back to DX9, which takes 3 minutes to do; BTW I voted yes.

If you consider those who voted "switch" as DX10 users, so far this poll is rather evenly split.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

I use DX9 exclusively.  The AA isn't as good in DX10 (even though some people have published ideas that have made it much better).  And there is a lot of excellent payware scenery that is not DX10 compatible (Flytampa etc..).

Mitchell Haughee

a total of 96 users is pretty miniscule - especially as self-selecting polls like these have little real value.

Gerry, how else are we going to figure out who uses DX10 or not? Send 'em an app and have it call home when the sim is started? How else are you to make that determination? Please tell us how you would do it? As for "value", it's in the eyes of the beholder, I suspect.

• Upvote 2

Tom, to be honest I don't think you can do any better, but that doesn't mean the results are significant.

A problem with self-selecting polls like this is that it's well known that they tend to polarise (no pun intended).. In this case, enthusiasts both for and against DX10 are far more likely to respond than typical users who aren't too fussed either way. 

The consequence is that the for and against votes could come from a fairly small,  groups that are not representative of the majority..

• Upvote 1

The consequence is that the for and against votes could come from a fairly small,  groups that are not representative of the majority..

That is a possibility but IMO, that's a low probability.

There are two groups of FSX Simmers. 1) Who actively participate in AVSIM and then those twho don't. 

There is no information as to whether the non AVSIM participats are heavily skewed to DX9 or to DX10. We could make a judgment call here and say that the non AVSIM particpats are not heavy simmers and may not be aware of DX10. and may indeed be DX9 users and that AVSIM participats may be skewed towards DX10.

However from a weighted average perspective in terms of simming hrs are concered, the above discrepancy becomes moot. For Simmers who are not aware of AVSIM do not sim extensively ...so their numbers may not be much or we just don't care for them.. Ha Ha!

So this Poll IMO, is a pretty significant IMO.

:P

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I limited my remarks to AVSIM members.

Don't you think on the one hand there could be a relatively small number of members with many complex add-ons who find DX10 works better than DX9. They would be more likely to post thus over estimating their influence.

On the other hand could there not be members who've never bothered with DX10 because DX9 works fine for them They could be unlikely to bother voting thus underestimating their influence.

The sample size (some 300 out of 100000)  is just too small to give really meaningful results.

So far I haven't, when I tried it didn't seem to give me too much advantage. 

However when the DX10 fix program comes out I will probably try again... In any case I will definitely make sure my future sceneries are fully DX10 compatible. 

Your AA will never look right in FSX I don't think. Supersample AA forcing only possible on ATI 7870, 7950 and 7970 I think. I could be wrong. I had a 6950 and I could not enable SSAA in DX10. I think the same is true for pre GTX580 but I cannot verify.

If you can get SSAA to work on the 6900 series (AA enabled in FSX menu while in DX10 preview mode and Supersample enabled in driver), I would like to know. I sold my 6950 before I tried SSAA in DX10 mode.

Charles.

The sample size (0 out of 100000)  gives really meaningful results.

How's that work for you? As they eye doctor might ask "better or worse?"

I use DX9 exclusively.  The AA isn't as good in DX10 (even though some people have published ideas that have made it much better).  And there is a lot of excellent payware scenery that is not DX10 compatible (Flytampa etc..).

You have to put a line into FSX.CFG to get 8xAA in DX10 mode. So doing that and enabling 2 or 4xSGSS Transparancy in nvidia inspector will be just as sharp as DX9.

C.

@meshman

IF you quote it's honest to quote the actual words - not replace them with meaningless nonsense of your own.