Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

DX10 Users Poll

DX10 User Poll  

860 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Use the DX10 Preview Mode in FSX?

• Yes, exclusively
    • No
    • I switch between DX10 and Standard Mode

Hi all.

So can AA and anisotropic filtering be used with DX10 in fsx? After reading this poll, i thought id give it a go, and cant seem to enable either. I usually use x16 for both.

Im using Nvidia gtx580 with nvidia inspector.

The small sample size would probably be fairly representative if the respondents were randomly selected from the community, but as has been pointed out, we are not random respondents - we are active forumites interested and likely polarized on the issue. But as Tom has stated, what choice do we have? Better to get polarized data than no data.

One the other hand, us respondents are probably representative of simmers who spend heavily on the hobby and probably typical of the active simmers who hang out at other forums (I first found out about Steve's DX10 fixes elsewhere, so AVSIM does not have the 'exclusive' om DX10 interest). So to ignore the DX10 community may not be the most sagacious business decision, particularly if the cost of supporting it is small.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Hi all.

So can AA and anisotropic filtering be used with DX10 in fsx? After reading this poll, i thought id give it a go, and cant seem to enable either. I usually use x16 for both.

Im using Nvidia gtx580 with nvidia inspector.

Yes, but remember: The spinning plane on the opening screen of FSX where you choose your plane, airport etc. is without proper antialiasing, but in-game is fine. I read somewhere you can fix this within Inspector, but that didn't work for me. So don't let that scare you off and try it in-game. Works great.

So to ignore the DX10 community may not be the most sagacious business decision, particularly if the cost of supporting it is small.

Dammit odourboy, every time you post I have to break out my dictionary.  You're like Bill O'Reilly and his word of the day.  Keep up the thesaurian (yeah, I made it up) efforts.

• Upvote 1

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

Dammit odourboy, every time you post I have to break out my dictionary.  You're like Bill O'Reilly and his word of the day.  Keep up the thesaurian (yeah, I made it up) efforts.

LOL! :lol:

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Dammit

Another word to add to the "banned word filter". :yahoo:

Been trying/wanting to use DirectX for years!  However, some add-ons support it, and others do not.  It's been much easier for me to just not use Direct-X at all.  I will say that using P3D seems to alleviate many of my direct-x irregularities; however, I do prefer FSX for many other reasons, and tend to fly FSX much more frequently.  I've seen that there is a person attempting to develop a payware solution to these problems, but have not seen the solution expose itself, as if today.  I too will patiently await a viable and worthwhile solution. 

Sorry, boss.  I thought it was benign enough.

I should have used another emoticon. I was joking. :lol:

(referring to previous posts requiring dictionaries and thesaurusisisi) - this is not the place to bloviate or pontificate; however, aviating is often praised.

I use only DX10, with the steve's tool http://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/category/dx10/ who solve the problems, and it's the best way to fly.

No problems with AA and anisotropic, like in dx9. I use track ir and i move my head all the time, DX10 give me the smooth motion where DX9 give headache. The sun reflection on the sea is perfect, and landing lights are better.

There is with old sceneries (by crappy editors) some missing textures during night. I think these editors must be put in jail.

Wow, even with all the DX10 fixes available for free, I can't understand why 51% are still holding onto DX9??  Given that anyone can get a DX10 video card for $33 or less, even those "on a budget" have no excuse.  I wonder if it's a DX10 fixes packaging problem?

What I've discovered over the years of polling is that in most cases polls represent the non-vocal, non-present split also ... there is no evidence to suggest vocal presence indicates a skew in one direction or the other (Tom didn't target a group -- now he may have done this to increase traffic but that doesn't skew voting). 

It's very similar to voting for government officials ... in recent years we've had higher than normal voter participation and the increased quantity of voters hasn't really varied much from the "informal" sampled poll numbers -- one just needs to make sure the poll sources are valid and don't introduce a skew (either on purpose or accidentally) -- mainstream media almost always introduces a skew to sensationalize or even meet corporate/political agenda's, just have to know how the poll was instigated, sources, etc. - normal background validation that I hope everyone does on any poll data that is presented to them.

I would be interested in why the DX9 folks are still holding onto DX9 given the current mostly fixed state of DX10 in FSX?

(Tom didn't target a group -- now he may have done this to increase traffic but that doesn't skew voting).

I never do anything to increase traffic. Really. Really...

I just call a guy, who knows a guy, who has a lot of friends... :Big Grin:

I would be interested in why the DX9 folks are still holding onto DX9 given the current mostly fixed state of DX10 in FSX?

i can only speak for myself, but it's just something i never really investigated. i tried it a few times last summer(or fall? dont remember exactly) and had a positive impression... but i didn't have the time or interest to hunt around the forums and net for all the various tweaks and fixes to reduce anomalies and other irritating problems i had with it. it's an interesting poll, this discussion certainly will lead me to take another look at dx10 especially if i can find an 'all the fixes you need' guide somewhere

cheers

-andy crosby

Wow, even with all the DX10 fixes available for free, I can't understand why 51% are still holding onto DX9?

Because after much testing I found no advantage and most the time worst performance , AA and FPS with DX10. The DX10 engine is still incomplete.