Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

DX10 Users Poll

DX10 User Poll  

860 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Use the DX10 Preview Mode in FSX?

• Yes, exclusively
    • No
    • I switch between DX10 and Standard Mode

I never do anything to increase traffic. Really. Really...
  LOL ... well you should be, it's your job! ;)

will lead me to take another look at dx10 especially if i can find an 'all the fixes you need' guide somewhere

That guide exists, but it sounds like folks need a packaged solution and perhaps improved DX10 fixes visibility.

I am surprised by the amount of DX10 users! It's almost 50/50 (if you include the switchers to the DX10 group)! I have tried DX10 various times but it could never convince me. I didn't seem to gain anything from it. The last time I tried it I got huge pauses every minute or so and that made me go back to DX9 again. I also had the idea textures were loading a bit later than with DX9... DX10 performed better than DX9 in the past when I didn't yet know about bufferpools but since I do use bufferpools @ 0 DX10 seems to perform about the same as DX9. And even with DX10 I need bufferpools.

I read about better colors but they aren't obviously better, I think, because I never noticed that. The only thing I noticed was the different looking water but to me it didn't look exactly better (ver light, although I understand there is a fix for that too).

I will keep an eye on that upcoming DX10 fixer tool but I don't expect to much from it. After all none of the fixes have to do with improving performance itself: it's only about fixings things that go wrong with DX10. And yes, VC shadows are nice but I haven't seen any in my default plane, the RealAir Legacy, so that also doesn't help to make me switch to DX10. It that would have worked, I might reconsider it once more.

Using DX9 right now.   I've tried switching to DX10 twice following the DX10 guide and all the patches/tools but I always ended up with horrible performance.  My frame rate would be in the single digits where as DX9 I'm locked in at 30 pretty much.

I always wonder if it's my nvidia surround setup or something, but so far I haven't had much luck with it.

Now that I'm flying the 737NGX in 2D cockpit and not in VC I may give it another shot to see if that will help the frame rate. 

A better poll title would have been "Passionate FSX flyer: DX10 poll"....

Of the 4 people, including myself, that I am familiar with that play FSX.  2 have no desire to use anything but freeware and no inclination to dig into the subtleties of FSX configuration and tuning and the other two of us who are all about payware and optimization are split on DX9 and DX10.

if truly meaningful data is wanted, is there any way to have an opening page to Avsim that you have to answer the question prior to proceeding with results tracked by IP so that duplicate voting is minimized.  Something that says, "Before proceeding, please take a moment to answer this one simple question."

A better poll title would have been "Passionate FSX flyer: DX10 poll"....

Of the 4 people, including myself, that I am familiar with that play FSX.  2 have no desire to use anything but freeware and no inclination to dig into the subtleties of FSX configuration and tuning and the other two of us who are all about payware and optimization are split on DX9 and DX10.

if truly meaningful data is wanted, is there any way to have an opening page to Avsim that you have to answer the question prior to proceeding with results tracked by IP so that duplicate voting is minimized.  Something that says, "Before proceeding, please take a moment to answer this one simple question."

Why would that be anymore meaningful than the poll that exists now?

I believe that the data set is skewed by "passion" on the subject and of FSX in general.  My sense of the community is that there is a silent majority who quietly come and go.  They grab a few new items from the library, maybe read a article of interest but are otherwise not engaged in discussion. Then there is the vocal minority who take the time to participate in discussions and polls such as this.

If the goal is to survey those who really care about the subject, then this is a valid poll.  As far as the entire community (population) goes, I think a lot of data is lost due to indifference.

Then again, indifference has never driven progress in anything.

That's the trouble with trying to create a poll on such a topic. This poll is equivalent to asking, "Do you tweak your cfg file?" or "Do you overclock your CPU?" The people that do so will rush to answer yes. The rest will ignore the poll, because they have no idea what the topic means or they are not interested in the topic at all.

I don't want to start another argument or anything.

But for me,  I can do without Orbx Global..but I cannot do without DX10. (cause FS9 OOming every 10 min).

:P

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

one just needs to make sure the poll sources are valid and don't introduce a skew (either on purpose or accidentally)

On that note - I suggest the title of this poll skews the data. Shouldn't this be the "DX9 or DX10 Users Poll"?

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

the DX9 party will be over.

Yep, just like FS9 is over..

Ernest Pergrem

Hey man, I just bought FS9 to see what all the excitement was about.  Your post reminds me ... I need to go do some tweaking.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

24 hours ago I had not ever touched DX10.

Late last night, I switched over to it, downloaded Steve's tweaks and fixes, downloaded Radeon Pro (required to use DX10 for vsync, if you're a ATI user), and a few other tweaks.

An hour later, I loaded a flight in Aerosoft US Cities LA, with settings maxed, where DX9 had been giving me 14-16 FPS, and with DX10 I had better visuals and a rock solid, stutter free 30 FPS !! .......... Seriously DX10 ROCKS !!!!!

The sim is smoother and looks better.  I know not everything will work perfectly in DX10, but with this stellar performance, I will be sticking with it.  :cool:

I gave it another try today... and I am back to DX9 once more. Wish I had the huge improvement you had, Dave! ^_^

I gave it another try today... and I am back to DX9 once more. Wish I had the huge improvement you had, Dave! ^_^

It is very early days for me, so perhaps the bubble will burst when I come across an incompatibility! ... but so far I've flown LA and also Orbx FTX and CRM, and no exageration; I am blown away.

With DX9, even with 30 FPS (locked) I had this nasty very slight jerkiness with TrackIR panning;  like Vsync wasn't quite working (it was).   With DX10 every visual aspect is just fantastic on my system.

Butter smooth - love it!

I use DX10 exclusively. I switched because of constant OOM's in DX9. I know this was because I increased my scenery and sliders crept ever to the right and cloud texture quality increased blah blah blah... The cup just ran out of room. The trouble is that once you have a, b and c it's hard to say ok something has to go! Before I made the switch to DX10 though I DID remove things and tweak other addons graphically to reduce my overload. Although this helped it left FSX feeling like a damp squib. What was the point of having and spending all this money on extras when you couldn't run em? Exactly, so I took the plunge and have never looked back. I still had to be sensible though FSX is an old bird :) and you can't push too hard or the wings stop flapping, but for me, with what i own and how I fly, DX10 is now the only option. It's so smooth an stable. Unlike me!

As has been stated its not for everyone and that's because we all have different priorities and needs. We fly in different ways and that too is a great thing, because their is just so much diversity.

To any dev's who might be listening, please make your stuff compatible with DX10 - deep down, you know it makes sense!