Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

DX10 Users Poll

DX10 User Poll  

860 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Use the DX10 Preview Mode in FSX?

• Yes, exclusively
    • No
    • I switch between DX10 and Standard Mode

DX10 only, but unfortunately there are way too many models and scenery parts with textures which look wrong in DX10 (gray or black). Many of them due to they are just lame-ported from respective FS9 versions, and the rest is simply lame.

All that needs to be done to fix it is just converting textures into the correct for FSX format. But alas, in many, if not most, cases it can be done by developers only (.MDL, for instance, can't be easily disassembled and compiled back safely).

DX10 only, but unfortunately there are way too many models and scenery parts with textures which look wrong in DX10 (gray or black). Many of them due to they are just lame-ported from respective FS9 versions, and the rest is simply lame.

All that needs to be done to fix it is just converting textures into the correct for FSX format. But alas, in many, if not most, cases it can be done by developers only (.MDL, for instance, can't be easily disassembled and compiled back safely).

Steve, the guy who created the DX10 fixes, will soon release a payware addon soon that's supposed to fix those grey things!

Steve, the guy who created the DX10 fixes, will soon release a payware addon soon that's supposed to fix those grey things!

Hello, thanks for the good news! Somehow I missed that, would you please quote namely what and where exactly did he say that?

Well, actually, there's already a special payware addon ('Addon converter', AFAICR) on the market for quite some time, which converts those aforementioned textures on the fly. That is, it does the work which is supposed to be done by the developers of those models themselves before they release their products to the consumers.

With DX10 every visual aspect is just fantastic on my system.

Butter smooth - love it!

Same experience. For me DX10 is similar to MS Flight: "Butter smooth". 
No more (even the smallest, tiniest) micro-stutter.   :smile:

For those with white ivao mtl and airports, etc., if you use the version 3.2.1, I believe, instead of the latest 3.2.2, these problems will go away. I don't have many payware airports, but FSDreamteam KFLL was all white at night and when using version 3.2.2. The IVAO MTL models were the same-all white. However, I switched to version 3.2.1, and have not found a single issue yet regarding the white textures.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

"...but i can't see any difference so I switched back" 

Of course you can't you don't have process explorer running to see the memory footprint...

If you have barely any addons and fly stock planes then DX9 is fine for you , please move along.

If you add up (1) and (3) you get about equal to (2) which is about what I thought.

The performace and visual improvements in DX10 preview made me stay with it.

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Anyone who scoffs at DX10 at this point, is sadly uneducated. Granted there are some add-on scenery problems, which I think reflects poorly on those developers and not DX10. Why they wont take the time to DX10 their products is beyond me. Looks better, works better, less FPS.

no brainer.

For those with white ivao mtl and airports, etc., if you use the version 3.2.1, I believe, instead of the latest 3.2.2, these problems will go away. I don't have many payware airports, but FSDreamteam KFLL was all white at night and when using version 3.2.2. The IVAO MTL models were the same-all white. However, I switched to version 3.2.1, and have not found a single issue yet regarding the white textures.

This is very interesting info, thanks for sharing!

Will definitely give DX10 another go since these issues with white IVAO traffic and pink airport buildings were the issues that made me go back to DX9 for now.

Richard Åsberg

Just tried the 3.2.1 shader fix but in my case the problem with pink airport buildings (at Scansim EKCH) and white AES ground crew remains so again I'm back using DX9.

Too bad but hopefully a more permanent and robust fix will be available in a not too distant future.

Richard Åsberg

I can tell you right now.... Steve's DX10 Fixer app in development is going to make a lot of people very very happy and it's coming! Oh yes it is. Its coming.

http://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/2013/06/21/dx10-scenery-fixer/

No doubt there will be a small group of users with issues but really i suspect a very small number. Most will see an improvement in lighting ambiance and smoothness. Not necessarily increased fps per se. Just smoothness. Its wierd that way. CPU limited situations will still be that. Limited. NGX into an FSDT airport in overcast weather with AI traffic and autogen all cranked up to high levels will still equal crappy fps. No shader in the world can change that. Lol. If the CPU can't feed that shiny new video card? It sits there waiting for work.

Personally what I like best with DX10 is how few tweaks you even need with it. All I run with DX10 is highmemfix and wide view aspect true. As for AA, I can run with 8xSSAA in all but the thickest clouds with smoothness.

C.

I`ve tried to make the switch a couple of times but didn`t really see a huge advantage that was worth putting up with the texture issues at certain airports or with certain aircraft.

IMHO a properly setup DX9 system like I`m running for Low and Slow and for High Flying shouldn`t cause any OOM`s. I have not seen an OOM in a very long time and I keep my settings fairly high. I do get rid of the memory hogs like cars and other resource sucking stuff. I run My Traffic 5.4 at 50% for airliners and 35% for GA which is plenty unless you want to be stuck in a que of traffic before entering the runway.

I will try DX10 again when Steve`s tool comes out for sure but until then I`m happy with DX9 for now.

Yes I remember the days of looking for those illusive fixes for OMM`s in DX9 but really that's just down to wrong tweaks, to high a LOD radius etc. Just about at the end of an 8hr flight in DX9 smooth as butter ;)

Doogie

The performace and visual improvements in DX10 preview made me stay with it.

Did you actually test the visual improvements (by making screenshots) or did you fire up the sim in DX10 and thought 'I think it looks better?'. I (genuinly and seriously) wonder about this because I've tested DX10 quite a few times but (apart from DX9 performing better on average on my PC) I couldn't see any difference between DX9 and DX10 visually, apart from the water. I've read more posts stating DX10 has more vibrant colors or whatever but on my PC the colors are EXACTLY the same... So I really wonder if anyone can tell me how and where DX10 delivers a visual improvement...?

Sometimes people expect to see improvements based on others saying so while there actually aren't any improvements at all... ^_^ So if someone can show me screenshots where I can clearly see a visual improvement, I'd be very happy.

Did you actually test the visual improvements (by making screenshots) or did you fire up the sim in DX10 and thought 'I think it looks better?'. I (genuinly and seriously) wonder about this because I've tested DX10 quite a few times but (apart from DX9 performing better on average on my PC) I couldn't see any difference between DX9 and DX10 visually, apart from the water. I've read more posts stating DX10 has more vibrant colors or whatever but on my PC the colors are EXACTLY the same... So I really wonder if anyone can tell me how and where DX10 delivers a visual improvement...?

Sometimes people expect to see improvements based on others saying so while there actually aren't any improvements at all... ^_^ So if someone can show me screenshots where I can clearly see a visual improvement, I'd be very happy.

Probably because they can get away with running FSX light bloom. You can do that with DX9 with an upgraded shader that Reality XP put out a long time ago. I sometimes use it for videos, have no idea where I got it, so long ago.