Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

DX10 Users Poll

DX10 User Poll  

860 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Use the DX10 Preview Mode in FSX?

• Yes, exclusively
    • No
    • I switch between DX10 and Standard Mode

So if I apply the payware fix, all my Fly Tampa airports will work, and all the aircraft lights will be OK?

I believe that is the plan.

I tried the DX10 Preview but it made all the grass at the airport shimmer like crazy, not the runways or taxiways, but the grass. Had to turn it back off.

Probably because they can get away with running FSX light bloom. You can do that with DX9 with an upgraded shader that Reality XP put out a long time ago. I sometimes use it for videos, have no idea where I got it, so long ago.

For the record in DX10 the notorious "bloom" effect was implemented by completely another method than in DX9, and it works!

Also, this pretty old (but still effective) article is worth reading, imo: FSX - SP2 and DX10 Performance.

Although the comparison shots posted look near identical, I recommend users try out DX10 for themselves. There's a marked difference on all my PC's running DX10 over DX9, with better shadows and reflections, as well as light bloom. If you get shimmering then you've not set up AA properly. And then the performance is always better in DX10. Taking readings of GPU/CPU usage and comparing between DX9/10 just won't work, DX10 does more on the GPU than DX9 whatever results are posted, there's a lot more to it than that. Fear Uncertainty and Doubt about DX10 is unfounded, 10 came after 9 for a reason, then came 11, and by all accounts DX12/13 will see in a new era of graphics.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

And then the performance is always better in DX10.

I disagree. DX is not just about performance but also about features. As I said before FSX DX10 certainly is NOT performing better than FSX DX9 in specific situations on my PC. You simply cannot say DX10 is always better. BTW The same goes for DX11. I have played quite a few racegames and some new games definitely and clearly run worse in DX11 mode on my GTX580 than in DX9 mode, simply because DX11 has new features that bring your GPU to its knees! All those new features come at a price. Now of course FSX doesn't use that many new features as the latest greatest games, but still... you can't state DX10 always performs better.

Upgrades to OS components like DirectX are sometimes just hype to sell new video cards more than anything else. If one used the same logic for MS OS products, you'd say that Windows Vista was better than Windows XP and Windows 8 is better than Windows 7. DirectX is what controls the joystick in Windows 8. Has that been an improvement?

Like you, I get poorer frame rates with DX10 than with DX9. The improvements in IQ are there, although they are outweighed by the drawbacks. To truly take advantage of all the bells and whistles built in to your new video card, either buy XP10 or just wait for P3D 2.0.

FSX is legacy software. It is held together with glue and duct tape by a loyal user base and a bunch of creative 3rd party developers. At some point, everyone who wants flight simming to advance, at least from a technological standpoint will have to move on.

...and that's why I said the users should try it for themselves! :)

I get poorer frame rates with DX10 than with DX9

You can't compare apples to pears. In this case the GPU produces more eye candy, CPU throughput and fps measurements are difficult to compare. What I compare is the additional eye candy for no loss in fps. In fact back when DX10 preview appeared on FSX, I could see the sim really did flow better than in DX9, the old kit was slower back then.

I believe that is the plan.

Correct. These airports should display right with the fixer from Steve. Again. I want to emphasize. CPU limited scenarios are still CPU limited. DX10 or not. It's not a miracle cure to flying NGX into largest pay airports with 100% AI cranked up with near maxed out AG and scenery sliders.

The core program will still have the usual limits. DX10 smoothens out the experience somewhat.

One of the sexiest things I get from DX10 is UTX night lighting with FTX Global in a large city with very dense settings at 30 fps at night. Surreal.

Charles.

And your performance will then be the same or worse then DX9, at least it was when I tried to do it.

That 4xSGSS is just a killer.

I get better overall performance with AA in DX10. The tolerance for more clouds and AG seems to go up for me in DX10. I can only comment on ATI at the moment as I only flew DX10 briefly on my 660ti. With my 7970 I also get better looking AA in DX10 when comparing 4xSSAA to 4xSSAA in both modes for some reason. At 8xSSAA both modes are insanely sharp. However, like 4xSGSS, heavy clouds will be a big drag on smoothness. I find in DX10, ATI 4xSSAA roughly equivalent to 8xS+2xSGSS in inspector with nvidia.

Charles.

There is an app that converts addons with only DX9 textures to DX10 but that's not the purpose of Steve's app.

Can you tell me the name of that app? Thanks

I'm just curious about one thing. It seems like more than a few of the people using DX10 are also using ATI cards. I wonder if there is a connection?

I'm just curious about one thing. It seems like more than a few of the people using DX10 are also using ATI cards. I wonder if there is a connection?

See my specs. I am using DX10.

Can you tell me the name of that app? Thanks

payware addon ('Addon converter', AFAICR)

using DX10 for flying some aircraft that support moving shadows inside VC.

I hope that Steve or any other brilliant mind for that matter will be able to crack all issues with it and commercial add-on producers start taking this very seriously from now on.

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable