Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

DX10 Users Poll

DX10 User Poll  

860 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Use the DX10 Preview Mode in FSX?

• Yes, exclusively
    • No
    • I switch between DX10 and Standard Mode

It seems like more than a few of the people using DX10 are also using ATI cards. I wonder if there is a connection?

No, I'm currently using NVidia.

I'm just curious about one thing. It seems like more than a few of the people using DX10 are also using ATI cards. I wonder if there is a connection?

no, nvidea

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

After a few simple tests DX9 is a BIG performance hit especially with lots of autogen or rain snow and clouds, whereas DX10 still has problems with some flashing surfaces after Steve's 3.2.2 DX10 shader modifications are applied. e.g. a scene over Mahlon Sweet, Eugene with steady fixed 19 fps becomes 10-16fps in DX9.

• Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Hi

I'm steel DX10 SJ Parson release from the first and i fly ever with DX10 last version on and i enjoy it  .

Now i wait for  : DX10 Scenery Fixer  by SJParson

Patrick

Happened to stumble across Steve's DX10 fixes and SweetFX (+ configurator; absolute must) and gave it a try...I am now running FSX exclusively in DX10 :wub:

so why use it?

DX10 is more efficient and will use up less VAS along with overall performance improvements.  It also looks better, especially in setting sun situations, cockpit shadows, and more.

DX10 is being finished, Steve P's work should be released sometime soon ... ish.  I'm sorta disappointed with PMDG's statement in their manual (pg. 0.00.16) that suggest to turn off DX10 "does not significantly enhance the visual quality of the simulator" ... I can understand them not wanting to support DX10, but there statement is not true, even in a subjective context DX10 brings better visuals.

As you know, I rarely use DX10, but that's mostly because I use P3D for routine flying and I only use FSX now for add-ons that aren't designed for P3D. FSX is well behind even XP10 in my simming use, so take this for what it's worth.

IMO, there is no question that the DX10 mode enhances the look of the sim. How anyone could say that, from a users point of view is beyond me. On the other hand, the difference between DX9 and DX10 isn't like night and day. It is discernable for certain effects and in other situations, the visual quality is equal. So PMDG has a different idea of what the word "significant" means than I do. That's their prerogative. You get the same disclaimer with another great add-on for FSX, VRS TacPack. The common thread between the two is that both companies probably don't want to officially support any platform but FSX with DX9 (No P3D, no XP10 and no FSX  with DX10). That makes support issues a lot less cumbersome. I can see their point.

DX10 is more efficient and will use up less VAS along with overall performance improvements.  It also looks better, especially in setting sun situations, cockpit shadows, and more.

I have to wonder how true that really is.

NV inspector cant override like it does for DX9.

comparing VAS in both versions with identical filter settings rarely happens, (unless you have added new lines to the cfg) and even then you wont get 8xsAA 16xAniso and alpha AA.

Since I upgraded to Windows 8.1 I seem to have no choice but to use DX10 exclusively, otherwise FSX does not work at all for me.

Can I change my vote to 'Yes, Exclusively'? :smile:

Me too!  I voted that I switch between them.  But I would stick with DX10 exclusively, when the bugs are all worked out.  It is much better than DX9. (even with the bugs, IMO)

It would be nice to see how many have now switched from DX9 to DX10 ... or maybe start a new poll since no one can change their initial vote pre-DX10 Controller release.

With DX10 Controller build 1.1.26, I'm unable to find any issues so far - I test with day, dawn, dusk, night.

• FlyTampa all good (don't have their FS9 Legacy products)
  • MSE All good
  • Horizon VFR all good
  • FSDT all good (and I do mean all)
  • Aerosoft Brussels, Innsbruck, Lisbon 
  • FlightBeam all good
  • LatinVFR KSAN
  • Sim720 OBAN and Catalina (Catalina has a lights issue but developer is aware and the airport is listed as DX10)
  • UK2000 VFR Airfields Vol 1 to Vol 3 all good
  • UK2000 Extreme Airports (Belfast, Birmingham 2, Bristol 3, Cardiff, Cumbernauld, Doncaster, East Midlands, Edinburgh 3, Gatwick 3, Glasgow 3, Heathrow 2, Leeds, Liverpool, LondonCity, Luton, Manchester, Newcastle, Stansted) all good
  • FTX Global all good including lights
  • FSGRW all good
  • REX all good
  • RealAir Piston/Turbine Duke and Legacy all good
  • A2A C-172 all good
  • PMDG 777 all good
  • PMDG NGX all good
  • TriStar L1011 all good
  • JustFlight BAE 146 all good
  • Majestic Q-400 all good
  • Traffic 360 Aircraft all good
  • Alabeo PA38 and R66 all good
  • All FSX Aircraft with Acceleration are good

Of course there might be things I missed, but I'd be happy to check anything specific (from above) for anyone interested.

Rob.

I am a DX10 exlusively user - voted just recently as i did not see this poll earlier.

DX10 - especially since Steve's super, super DX10 fix is available - ... well, i am just loving it!

And as FSX will most likely stay around for quite some more time, DX10 is the only way for me to go nowadays!

Cheers, Christoph

It would be nice to see how many have now switched from DX9 to DX10 ... or maybe start a new poll since no one can change their initial vote pre-DX10 Controller release.

With DX10 Controller build 1.1.26, I'm unable to find any issues so far - I test with day, dawn, dusk, night.

• FlyTampa all good (don't have their FS9 Legacy products)

[...]

Of course there might be things I missed, but I'd be happy to check anything specific (from above) for anyone interested.

Rob.

WOW!

Now that is an impressive list!

I have not updated to 1.1.26 yet, but if all of what You have listed here turns out to work on my PC as well, then consider me to be one of the most happy simmers around!

Cheers, Christoph