Sign in to follow this  
Civvy

27" i7 IMac for FSX only?

Hi guys, I'm getting tired of my custom build PC.

It's switching itself off after just a few mins of running. I only just fitted a new mobo two months ago.

I feel the best way forward is to buy something new with a warranty.

My question is will the latest IMac i7 27" with windows 7 64 bit replacing apple OS run FSX with all my payware/ add ons?

To include:

PMDG aircraft + other 3 rd parties ie wilco

photographic scenery for the whole of the UK

UK2000 extreme airports.

I have found other people have had success but never mention they have extreme pay ware like me and have heard frame rates being an issue (but not sure if that was the early ones).

This computer is used for only FSX.

I run windows 7 via boot camp on my iMac and its very stable with average performance, even with multiple add ons. 

I'll be upgrading to a 27 inch i7 iMac within the next few months. I'm just waiting to see if the new Mac Pro's are worth the money first. 

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hi guys, I'm getting tired of my custom build PC.

It's switching itself off after just a few mins of running. I only just fitted a new mobo two months ago.

I feel the best way forward is to buy something new with a warranty.

My question is will the latest IMac i7 27" with windows 7 64 bit replacing apple OS run FSX with all my payware/ add ons?

To include:

PMDG aircraft + other 3 rd parties ie wilco

photographic scenery for the whole of the UK

UK2000 extreme airports.

I have found other people have had success but never mention they have extreme pay ware like me and have heard frame rates being an issue (but not sure if that was the early ones).

This computer is used for only FSX.

The lack of flexibility when it comes to changing hardware components, like a new gfx card in the near future, can become an issue in the long run.

If you want to go for apple, a MacPro will be a safer option. with an Apple 27 inch screen as monitor if you prefer that.

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

hi, thanks for your replies. I've managed to talk the missus into installing win 7 64 bit onto her MacBook pro with retina. I will give that a go.

Re upgrades in the future, I thought the GPU's are not as important as the CPU specs for FSX. The CPU specs are what's concerning me with macs. am I wrong in thinking that?

meanwhile I have got my rig going again. turned out I had air bubbles around the water pump, I had to remove it shake the whole system, then replace the radiator the correct way up!!

My rig is running a 39.30k@4.3GHZ and a GTX260. how will an i7 imac compare do you all think?

Retina macbook can go up to 3.3 ghz without overclocking and gtx260 is a old gpu compared to gt650m. Also you can overclock gpu as what I am doing, just let me know when you buy it.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "Flight Simulator Tips and Tricks" to "MOBO, RAM, CPU's & Other Hardware". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

My rig is running a 39.30k@4.3GHZ and a GTX260. how will an i7 imac compare do you all think?

The Imac will be worse than what you have at the moment. It will only give you around 90% of the FPS you get at the moment. You also already have the best CPU for displaying crisp photoscenery. The imac will be a lot worse there. Your current setup will load ground textures at least 50% faster. Your current GPU is getting a bit old thou. Even the mobile GPU in the iMac is actually quite a bit faster than what you have at the moment.

Good to hear that you got the problem sorted, just keep your current setup and just replace that GPU of yours.

No problems here running on a 2010 iMac 21". Although I am only using GA aircraft.

Apple for me is the best choice if you know how to buy them, normally the "cheaper ones" (not cheap at all) are crap, you are paying thousand of euros for a computer that does the same than a 300 euros. computer. ######, But if you go for an imac, for example, 27" i7 3,5 quadcore 4 gb vram gdr4 GTx780M NVIDIA, and 16 gb ram with and 1tb flashpcie hard drive, you got super computer with a super monitor for 3000 euros. you have got a computer for 6-10 years, and he possibility of running 2 different OS that one is apple. I have a macbook pro 13" and i run fsx with i5 dual core 2,4 and intel hd3000 fsx with maximum settings and majestic dash for 14-18 frames. I have one friend, that has over the same hardware and have less frames than me (don't know why really, thats apples magic). Imagine on a good computer with good ram, huge processor and strong vcard, with the best hard drive of the market. YOU WILL BE FLIPPING TRIPPING as we say in spain.