Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

Keep getting told I'm off course, when I'm not

I've been trying to fly from KLGB to PANC, but each time I get told I'm off course and get told to turn back until I'm back to where I got off course. What would make RC4 think I'm off course? It's always at the same point in the flight. Should I rebuild my database, or something?

What is the active waypoint in the rc4 window? Is this the waypoint you are heading to?

If not just request direct to the waypoint your heading to.

Hope this helps.

Sean Green

Hi.

I haven't been flying much recently (on the verge of rebuilding my PC...) but I think RC responds to your plane's heading rather than the track. That means a very strong crosswind with a slow plane can cause the problem too if you are having to aim more than 15° (as default) off your desired track.

You can ask for a deviation for weather or, if you prefer something more drastic, you can alter the permitted deviation in one of the screens in Radar Contact's window.

If you are being sent back to your last waypoint then you didn't quite fly close enough to it for RC to have recognised your passing and the controller is still expecting you to overfly it. You should hear a 'ping' when you are close enough. Requesting direct to the next waypoint is an option in one of the menus in the FSUIPC/Radar Contact text box in your main FS view.

Cheers,

D

edit: Ian got there while I was typing

Just hit "next" (9) until DirChkPt comes up. That will give you a list of the next checkpoints, then press the appropriate key to select the one you want.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

is your first checkpoint inside 30 miles? if so, then you have a departure procedure in place, and the tolerance for missing/making a checkpoint is much thinner.

follow the headings the controllers tell you to fly, they are in control, not your fmc

if you are flying at 2x or 4x, stop. 1x only, especially around checkpoints.

if these tips don't help, make a log, instructions pinned to the top of the forum, be sure you click debug before loading the .pln.

then make the flight, duplicate the problem, and send me the log file, zipped up

I can tell you what happened and where you missed the checkpoint

jd

I have the same problem.  Flying from Kord to kdsm I was flying an intersecting course to the flight plan when I reached the flight plan line I switched to GPS and after switching controllers was told " sir you are off course" given a new course which was 180 degrees from my present course. I was told to fly this course until suitable for navigation.  I turned the plane over to the copilot and after a 20 or so miles it made a u turn and headed back the same direction I was going and everything was ok after that. I must be missing something.

It looks like you missed a checkpoint that RC wanted you to cross and it gave you a 180 to turn back and then navigate to cross the missed checkpoint. In the departure and approach phases you have only a radius window of two nm and enroute is 5 nm.

If you watch the RC window status area it will show you the bearing to and the name of the next checkpoint it expects you to cross.

To skip going back to cross a missed checkpoint get to the extended menu (9) by default, select direct checkpoint and then the next checkpoint you can cross, the proceed direct from your present position to it. Do not return to your original path if you do this. This also applies to a "resume own navigation" when instructed by RC.

To skip going back to cross a missed checkpoint get to the extended menu (9) by default, select direct checkpoint and then the next checkpoint you can cross, the proceed direct from your present position to it. Do not return to your original path if you do this. This also applies to a "resume own navigation" when instructed by RC.

YEP!!

Flight Planning Tips...

*  Can't be stressed enough to never plan your first way point any closer than about 15 miles (or at least so close you cannot turn to your first waypoint).

*  RENAME your flight plans to KXXX-KXXX.PLN format.  This way you will load the EXACT same flight plan into FSX as well as RCV4.   I know when I did this it made loading flight plans for Active Sky, FSX, and RCV4 a whole lot easier and less confusing.

*  Make sure you are loading your flight plan into RCV4, AND FS.  This way your FMC/AP if you are flying with one is flying the same route RCV4 is expecting you to fly.  You will find your stored flight plans at  C:\Users\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files (by the way).

When I started doing the above procedure,  I am rarely if ever are told I am off course anymore.

*  Finally, I find that select "Alt Restrictions" under the DP section (Controller Info Button on the UI), I ALWAYs get off to a better start.  ESPECIALLY if you like to use DPs or SIDs.  The reason is RCV4 does not bother you about being on course or not until you come to the first waypoint in your flight plan.  RCV4 considers that the Enroute Structure and watches your track from there on.

*  (SID HINT)  If I want to fly a SID, and have it be rather realistic here is what I do.  I will include the waypoints of the SID in my flight plan for both FSX and RCV4.  RCV4 will not bother me when I am flying the SID, Yet RCV4 will give realistic altitude restrictions while flying the SID per traffic in the area.  (Seems like it does anyhow).  RCV4 will not bother you about being off course provided you are flying the SID correctly as well.  Again make sure your waypoints make sense for the aircraft you are flying.

Hope that helps.

Have Fun!

Respectfully,

Jet