Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Bold Topics Stay as Bold Topics

Hi Tom/Chase,

I read a forum topic and when I finish, it still is in bold type as unread.  This has been going on for a little more than a week.  Cache flushed several times.

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hey Jim,

Can you share what browser and version you use, please?

Hey Jim,

Can you share what browser and version you use, please?

Hi Chase,

IE10, V10.0.9200,16635.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Chase,

Same thing here, same browser and version.

Best,

Gerald

EAA #: 1317747

i7 8700K 6-Core 3.7GHz (4.5GHz); ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I Gaming ; RTX 2070 Super Turbo 8GB; 32GB G.Skill TridentZ 3000MHz; 250GB Samsung 960 Evo PCIe NVMe M.2; 2x 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Series SSD; 1TB WD Black HDD; Win10 Pro 64; P3D 4.5

Yeah, this sounds like an IE10 issue with IPB.  There's a laundry list of bugs.  That's why I prefer Chrome or even Firefox in worst case scenario.  Sorry guys, but there's nothing we can fix on our end since that's in the deep coding of IPB itself.

Thanks Chase!  There's an IE10 upgrade that Microsoft installed automatically on my system without my permission.  My problem(s) started recently (in the past two weeks) so think it is an update they installed on 9 Jul (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2846071). I'm going to uninstall the update.  If that doesn't work I'll go back to IE9.  I'm reluctant to get Chrome as Google is already tracing everything I do and think Chrome might be even more invasive.  Don't know what else they can get from me though other than my golf scores and how fast I was driving to/from the courses.  :LMAO:

I'll report back the results.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

:Cry: Removing the last update did not fix the problem.  Going back to IE9 but, before I do, I think I'll uninstall the Google Toolbar as I just recently installed that too.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Google Chrome my friends works much quicker for me and I haven't had any issues with this website using Chrome.

It's no different on Firefox. Read stays as unread. At least the threads no longer disappear from the list of 'new posts' after reading them.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

A couple of things....

• Geez, you guys are a bunch of whinging malcontents. Just like you would find down at your local pub!!! :rolleyes:
  • Jim, if you are concerned about your loss of privacy with Google, hang on big fella! Read the news that broke overnight regarding the TSA and their data collection tools. Your used toilet paper isn't even safe!
  • Topics are in bold until you read them, then those topics revert to un-bolded. That is a function of a cookie that is placed by AVSIM on your computer. If you are suddenly seeing a change from proper operation to an un-bolded state, to that of the topic remaining bolded, you need to check to see what changes have been made to your browser's security settings (as MS constantly does with IE) and / or the trusted websites settings in the browser as well.
  • I will say it again; IE is a user UNFRIENDLY browser and MS is constantly changing things with their updates that cause havoc with website managers as a result. Everyone leaps to the conclusion that these errors are a result of something the web site has done. I can't count the hundreds of times we have been accused of these types of problems when the cause was the change in the browser (not just IE).

Thanks Tom.  I'm all cheered up....  :biggrin: .  I'm throwing the Chrome browser into the mix of "unfriendly browsers" as I just installed it and having the same problem as with the IE browser.  Since the IE and Chrome browsers are obviously working for many, there has to be a problem on my end.  I did wipe out my cookies yesterday thinking that was the problem but no joy.  I believe it must be a security setting in my Internet settings or, as you stated, the trusted websites settings.  In any case I will post my solution once found so that other "whining malcontents" can see how I solved my issue.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Found a fix - hit F5 (refresh) after reading a topic and the topic will no longer be bold.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Found a fix - hit F5 (refresh) after reading a topic and the topic will no longer be bold.

Best regards,

Jim

Okay, what that tells me is that your browser is not set to auto-refresh its cache. Hitting F5 refreshes the cache allowing the un-bolding to show through. There is a setting in browsers that have control of that caching, refreshing function.

Thanks Tom.  It definitely is not a problem on your end.  The same problem occurs on other flight sim forums I have visited recently.  I'm thinking now it's a Windows 7 update as I have done everything I know of to find the cause (the problem is well-known on Google too).

Thanks for your time.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

thinking now it's a Windows 7 update as I have done everything I know of to find the cause (the problem is well-known on Google too)

I'm tellin' ya'all; MS is not our friend! The frustration for me is that everyone seems to be quick to leap on the web site for "breaking something", without first giving the web site the benefit of the doubt, and in turn spending some time looking to see what changed on their own system that might have caused the problem to suddenly appear. It is extremely time consuming too to chase down rabbit holes trying to figure out if THERE IS something wrong on our end. I can't begin to tell you how many wasted hours I have spent doing exactly that. Anyway, am glad this one is put to bed. Thanks Jim for updating here.