Sign in to follow this  
Maribell

Looking good websites to download Hangar objects

I've been through most of the free sites and ive download many objects what id like to know is there a website that deals with Objects and just objects alone, Not sure if you seen the Hanger below of the Poconos Airport but im trying to find something close to this and none out of the many objects i have seems to match up well. So if i can find a website that has Objects available for download along with images that would be marvelous.

Any ideas? Or if you can simply find a hangar to somewhat match the one below that will also be great Many thanks

There are not many places that have just objects for d/l for 2 reasons, one, many developers don't design objects for the sake of just having objects for other users to use, they make them for their sceneries and two, with the large about of default objects there isn't as much of a need. If you really have specific needs, it might be time to start looking at making your own objects. There are several modeling options for your use. Gmax, FSDS, Sketchup, and Instant Object Studio from Flight1.

With the right textures, the above hanger would be easy to make.

Best, Michael

KDFW

There are not many places that have just objects for d/l for 2 reasons, one, many developers don't design objects for the sake of just having objects for other users to use, they make them for their sceneries and two, with the large about of default objects there isn't as much of a need. If you really have specific needs, it might be time to start looking at making your own objects. There are several modeling options for your use. Gmax, FSDS, Sketchup, and Instant Object Studio from Flight1.

With the right textures, the above hanger would be easy to make.

Thanks yes i have Flight 1 instant Object studio but its very difficult to get a good set of textures for this hanger ;-) Guess ill give it a try and see

making good textures when you don't have photos to use it probably harder than the modeling part. Open up some of the default building textures and see how they are done.

Best, Michael

KDFW

If you are an adventurous type (having IOS helps!), over at the FS Developer site within the Sketchup sub-forum is a little tool called One-Click Hangar. Someone has built an add on to Sketchup that allows you to set the parameters, assign a texture and BINGO, you got a hangar for conversion into a FS MDL file with Model Converter X.

making good textures when you don't have photos to use it probably harder than the modeling part.

Very true. I consider myself lucky when I can find pics of an airport that can be used as is for textures. This doesn't happen very frequently. Instant Object Studio is a very capable tool. All you need to do now is learn how and where to look for textures. Fortunately there are gobs of free photo textures on the internet that you can use to create suitable substitutes. I've amassed a collection of textures in various categories -- doors & windows, roofing, concrete & asphalt, wood, etc., that I use constantly. The best site I've found specifically for textures is cgtextures.com...it's a gold mine. I often also just do a Google search for something I need. Speaking of Google, you should always do search for the airport you're working on. I almost always find something useful. Needless to say, you should have a decent graphics editing program and know how to use it. 

What airport exactly is this one in the Poconos you're working on?

Very true. I consider myself lucky when I can find pics of an airport that can be used as is for textures. This doesn't happen very frequently. Instant Object Studio is a very capable tool. All you need to do now is learn how and where to look for textures. Fortunately there are gobs of free photo textures on the internet that you can use to create suitable substitutes. I've amassed a collection of textures in various categories -- doors & windows, roofing, concrete & asphalt, wood, etc., that I use constantly. The best site I've found specifically for textures is cgtextures.com...it's a gold mine. I often also just do a Google search for something I need. Speaking of Google, you should always do search for the airport you're working on. I almost always find something useful. Needless to say, you should have a decent graphics editing program and know how to use it. 

What airport exactly is this one in the Poconos you're working on?

This is KMPO Pocono Mountain Munc Airport

Unless I am mistaking there is a free KMPO already to install and you can find on Avsim too.

Unless I am mistaking there is a free KMPO already to install and you can find on Avsim too.

Yes ive seen it but i wanted to make one of my own B)

Okee Dokie mate. The one I am using does not have a hanger like the one you want but there is a photograph you can look at on the net just do a search for KMPO I've seen it..John

Bing Maps is a great resource. It has angled, rotatable views of most locations. I believe thats your hanger in the pic. Not good enough to use directly as textures (except maybe for the roof), but certainly good enough to serve as a model for making your own textures. 99% of the hangers you'll find are either wood or corrugated metal siding, and those are easy to find on the web.

Thanks Sydney, I was using google Earth wich also has the 3d Angle view but not for this airport i will search it up in Bing maps  B)

Hey guys i will post pictures as to how the hangar is coming along using Instan object studio Im not a pro but am still learning and trying to get it just right.

Todays question i have for you guys is how can i get the same roof effect in instant object studio to match the hangar below. I have the main roof id just like to had the additional roof that hangs out to the right of the hangar the effect im trying to accomplish is in the picture below.

I was thinking of just adding another shape beside it and overlapping it with the same roof but hoe can i get it to match the picture 

I happen to know IOS pretty well, so I'll answer your question. In the future though, I recommend you post questions about using IOS on the Flight1 support forums. Nothing against the nice folks here. It's like John Dillinger said when he was asked why he robbed banks. "Because that's where the money is."  :smile:

1. First pic shows the three basic shapes I'd start with. Building base is green, main roof is orange, extension to building is aqua.

2. In the next pic I've 1) clicked the move part tool, 2) clicked on a vertical line to constrain movement in that direction, and 3) dragged the top outside edge of the extension downward until the slope of the top of part of the extension matches the slope of the roof.

In the third pic you can see how it all blends together when all 3 parts are the same color. Total time about two minutes.

Hope this helps.