Sign in to follow this  
phmcr

Flight1 responding?

Hi,

Following the threads regarding the release of FTXG, I am actually hoping my GEX, and to a lesser extent UTX, will soon be updated to the FTXG level. Or at least see some improvement. I have already invested so prefer to stay loyal.

I am checking for updates but none so far. The GEX forum is not showing any activity either.

Can anybody shed some light on this? Should I wait for Flight1 (the Publisher) to come up with updates or shouldn't I even expect that and go for FTXG?

Menno

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5

Well, UTX won't change nor need updating. it has nothing to do with textures, except for those small car park and other city polygon oddballs that It places in certain spots. it would be upto FTX Global to come up with replacements for those like GEX did.

As for GEX, it's been out for a long while now and has had several free updates. I would not expect anything at this point, and certainly not for free.

I think they are still working on expanding the GEX coverage. http://gex.flight1.net/ If you click the regions, some show a 'coming soon' text. So perhaps this answers the question on how they respond to the Orbx Global release. They already did, in a way.

As for the differences, are we talking about artwork or extra features? I saw Orbx offering some night lights for example. That's something not being available with GEX only (UTX would add them though).

Hi,

Mostly I would be interested in the artwork. Just finished a flight into KHQM, a free scenery ORBX offers.

I know, this is more than only textures. But seeing the nice detail in forests, rocks and landscapes makes one wish GEX would try to reach that level too.

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5

No doubt, KHQM is great. But I think that comparing 'just' GEX with this detailed airport might be a bit misleading as the airport features a ton of features over GEX and, therefore, just affects a small area. Better to compare the Orbx Global textures with the ones from GEX. That's sort of on the same level with GEX being sold by region.

From the first look, the colours on the Orbx texture rendition come in very nice. I'm still on the fence, so I really should look closer of course. I guess I'm just waiting for the 20 or so threads to converge to some big consensus. ^_^

I wouldn't be counting on 'free' updates from GEX.  The only way to get the most recent (v1.099) for NA is to purchase one of three non-NA areas.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

I have all GEX areas.

As per a new thread, Flight1 (NickN) has given its view on development. For now, I stick with Flight1 and see what's coming.

Menno 

Hi,

Following the threads regarding the release of FTXG, I am actually hoping my GEX, and to a lesser extent UTX, will soon be updated to the FTXG level. Or at least see some improvement. I have already invested so prefer to stay loyal.

I am checking for updates but none so far. The GEX forum is not showing any activity either.

Can anybody shed some light on this? Should I wait for Flight1 (the Publisher) to come up with updates or shouldn't I even expect that and go for FTXG?

Menno

There has been a response from GEX within the last hour. Interested readers can check it out (in their forum) and make their own opinions.

I am simply a satisfied GEX/UTX customer. If I had a need to cover the earth with enhanced ground textures, I would definitely be considering the purchase of FTXG. As my needs for these improved textures have already been fulfilled by GEX, I will be staying with GEX in its current version and consider future upgrades as they may evolve.

Thanks to NickN , I have a system running FSX with optimal frame rates and satisfying smooth flights. I have compared my personal screen shots with those from the ORBX site and have decided to not switch camps at this time.

Regarding all the HOOPLA and misunderstandings about LANDCLASS (what it does and doesn't do), I strongly recommend checking out this clear explanation from over 5 years ago !

http://www.simforums.com/forums/landclass-and-how-it-effects-what-you-see_topic24965.html

WAT1460.png