Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

By FAR the best solution...

Thx to MdMax I finally decided to get my hands in the facades :-) and reduce the LODs...

As per his suggestion, I turned all LOD values into

LOD 0.000000 15000.000000

in the .fac files that come with the OSM sceneries. They came with 25000 (25km), and as I posted at another thread, that made Paris too hot for my rig...

I am in Windows, and although I could port the file to a Linux / Unix system and operate my mods there, I decided to use a Windows tool. It is really easy to use!

Name: FAR - Find And Replace 1.7 (25-02-2013)

Get from: http://findandreplace.sourceforge.net

Unpacking the ZIP file will create a folder with the app. No install needed!

A very simple and intuitive GUI will then allow you to select the root directory for the files to search & replace strings from within. I chose to do it folder by folder to each of my OSM scenery areas

downloaded from SimHeaven.

In the following picture you can see how easy it is to change all of the facades so that instead of being visible from 25km apart, 15km is used...

1st step - position at the folder where the fac files are located and select all of them "*.fac"

2nd step - in the same screen hit Find so that these are selected and appear in the listing at the right

3rd step - choose the "Replace" tab and operate the replacement at your liking :-)

Note: the pictures bellow are an example of how to further reduce the LODs from 15km to only 5km,,,

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR ORIGINAL FILES!!!!!!!

although FAR includes a backup option:

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Haven't done any tweaking in XP yet. Is there no central .cfg like for FSX?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Haven't done any tweaking in XP yet. Is there no central .cfg like for FSX?

Nope. Everything is done through the sim interfaces (including plane-maker and airfoil-maker, and manual editing of scenery-packs.ini

The use of this toll to replace entries in scenery files ( facades ) was suggested by MdMax as a way to turn heavily crowded city zones less demanding in terms of CPU / GPU. 

Even reducing LOD distances to 10km, flying in Paris still lowers my FPS to the 5fps region and X-Plane 10 turns impossible to "fly"... this with the OSM scenery + autogen for Europe.

Main Simulation Rig: