Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

New Computer System Guide

For those considering buying a new computer system or having difficulties on deciding what components to get if they plan to build their own system, I like the TechSpot Computer Buying Guide the most as it has a guide for the budget minded to those who want a luxury system - http://www.techspot.com/guides/buying/.  I currently have the "luxury" system (well, not completely) and, for FSX, I think the Enthusiast or the Luxury System would work the best.  When I first started building computer systems, I looked at this guide for the components I needed.  They periodically update the guide when new technology, like the Haswell CPU, arrives so it stays pretty current.  This guide was just released.  Hope this helps some here seeking advice on building or purchasing a new system.   

If there are others who know of sites like this that provide excellent system guidance, please let us know and post your recommendations here.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Its pretty good criteria setup for it the 6800k amd is pretty good apu for the money limited person to run fsx without the hard eye candy, the I5-4670k is enthusiast cpu more than luxury one, and the gtx 760 is similar definition of enthusiast hardware.  The i7-4770 and 780gtx is luxury computer combo to start with in my opinion. The hardcore the majority will have luxury systems, but the reality is can run fsx sufficiently without eye candy with 500 computer now may not be able to use rex clouds, or have autogen at max, but it still outperform visually fs2004 at max settings.  With fsx there are trade offs unlike any program dealt with. Its linear relationship with fsx and the pendulum is shifting of what is mid settings each year 2006 duo core cpu were the top of the food chain, and now its I7-4770k in 2013.  Be nice to see historical data of how fsx ran in 2006 compared to 2013 with different settings each year.  The high end in 2006 is the lower end in 2013 as incremental improvements push the limits of what fsx does, and never had OOM till 2011 and later as computer cpu and gpu now could handle the more aggressive settings people use. FSX is legacy code and engineering the last of the CPU dependant applications.