Sign in to follow this  

Speculation about new Orbx product (based on remark from JV)

Today JV posted this on Avsim:

FTXG is just the beginning; we have a whole series of products planned that will completely reinvigorate FSX/P3D and embrace the new tech in P3D 2.x - we plan years ahead, not a month ahead.

This afternoon I asked something on the Orbx forum, totally unrelated to the above (or at least not with that in mind). I own UTX Europe and I noticed how much UTX adds to the experience (mainly roads and waters for me btw but I think it's quite important!). Unfortunately UTX doesn't cover the entire globe (and it's rather expensive to buy all versions) so I asked this:

I own UTX Europe. I know there are also versions of UTX for other parts of the world but UTX does not cover the entire world. I use FTXG for textures now and I am looking forward to OpenLC. I do notice however how important vector data is for the overall experience and so I am very happy with UTX Europe. I only use that one for roads and waters btw: the rest it offers doesn't interest me.

Afaik there aren't any other addons that would give me real roads and waters for the entire world, are there...? I've heard about openVFR but it seems to be about landclass and autogen etc. and not the vector data I am talking about (roads and waters). And besides, apart from not covering the entire world, openVFR is also way too expensive.

I never heard of an addon that provides this data for the entire world but I just wanted to make sure it really isn't there... or am I missing something?

I expected someone to tell me UTX is all there is. But to my surprise JV answered the following:

Watch this space .... smile.png

Sooooooooooo... what do YOU think that means? This HAS to mean (PURE SPECULATION THOUGH) that Orbx is thinking about what I would call a vector data addon...! Or maybe vector data will be added to OpenLC? (AGAIN PURE SPECULATION!)

Anyway, this might be very interesting! But this might also have an effect on upcoming purchases... I for one will not buy another UTX region before I know what Orbx is up to!

Man, I have the idea it hasn't been so much fun being a FSX simmer as it is right now...!!! ^_^

I hope so. And if they do, I hope that we can do away with UTX as well. I love accurate roads and shorelines in UTX, but far too generic and unrealistic.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

The roads really need to be redone, whoever will be doing them, ORBX or UTX. They look absolutely disgusting.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

I own UTX stuff and it is absolutely essential to my flying experience.

But, can't the gaps be filled by buying, very inexpensively openVFR packs of those missing areas or the areas you like to fly in.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I'm pretty sure he(J.V.) mentioned, or at least hinted, a while back that ORBX would eventually produce specialized scenery packs that provide vector data, POIs, etc. 

I assume the packs will be designed to compliment the 7 openLC areas.

Things are lookin' good for FSX!

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

But, can't the gaps be filled by buying, very inexpensively openVFR packs of those missing areas or the areas you like to fly in.

I did think about it but 1. the openVFR site isn't very clear about what their products actually offer: I couldn't figure out if it contained vector data at all and 2. they are inexpensive but when you want to cover for instance Africa or all of Europe, you are talking about a lot of money... Before you know it you've spend aprox. 45 euro's on Africa alone and still don't have it all! It LOOKS cheap but it really isn't. Well, unless you indeed only buy stuff for one country: then it IS cheap. But does it contain vector data for roads and waters...?

I am pretty much a regional flyer, not the whole world.  Have ORBX FTX England, Scotland, Wales, and PNW and intend to purchase Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway (for my European flying) and Northern California and others for my NA flying.  For my needs, these  regions augmented by FTX Glogal for the gaps between the regions satisfy my needs.  I am also trying to augment FTX Global/regions with other manufacturers regional products (France VFR, e.g.) and find this works pretty well, although the colours are somewhat different.

So to sum up I intend to build my future sceneries around FTX Global and FTX regions, and a few other compatible products.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

I did think about it but 1. the openVFR site isn't very clear about what their products actually offer: I couldn't figure out if it contained vector data at all and 2. they are inexpensive but when you want to cover for instance Africa or all of Europe, you are talking about a lot of money... Before you know it you've spend aprox. 45 euro's on Africa alone and still don't have it all! It LOOKS cheap but it really isn't. Well, unless you indeed only buy stuff for one country: then it IS cheap. But does it contain vector data for roads and waters...?

Yes now I look closely to buy you need to keep buying lots of packs.  but it does appear to include, roads, coastlines all the vector stuff.

Near CAM3

I've bought a few of the openVFR packs in the last couple of years, one for Arizona, one for Kenya, the other one I can't recall.

I ended up uninstalling them because I didn't much like how things looked.  It looks like they add lots of areas as scenery polygons on top of the textures, which in some cases just didn't look good. I didn't see a true landclass improvement, just the added polygons.  They also add a lot of roads, too many in my opinion, and don't give you any way to control which roads to include. 

All the scenery data was put into 1 or 2 large BGLs, so you can't just rename or remove BGLs to customize what scenery features you want to include or exclude.

All in all, I just didn't like the results.

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

Ok. One more reason to wait for Orbx upcoming new product... if my guess is right, that is. ^_^

At the pace they are doing Full FTX Region, we could have the whole world with Full Regions within 2 years.... me thinks.

What about Open VFR Terrain, doesn't that provide vector data?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

What about Open VFR Terrain, doesn't that provide vector data?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

That's the product I was referring to.

It's also supposed to provide landclass.

The roads really need to be redone, whoever will be doing them, ORBX or UTX. They look absolutely disgusting.

+1  Problem is that you can disable UTX roads but you will be missing alot of roads then.   I redid the UTX road textures to remedy the weird night textures which were very distracting. 

Regards

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

I've bought a few of the openVFR packs in the last couple of years, one for Arizona, one for Kenya, the other one I can't recall.

I ended up uninstalling them because I didn't much like how things looked.  It looks like they add lots of areas as scenery polygons on top of the textures, which in some cases just didn't look good. I didn't see a true landclass improvement, just the added polygons.  They also add a lot of roads, too many in my opinion, and don't give you any way to control which roads to include. 

All the scenery data was put into 1 or 2 large BGLs, so you can't just rename or remove BGLs to customize what scenery features you want to include or exclude.

OK that's helpful, thanks.

Near CAM3