Sign in to follow this  
rsperge

convince me whjy I should buy FTX Global/own UTX/GEX

The night lights. The night lights are not just in random spots like UTX, they are actually where the ground illuminates from the night textures, giving them the appearance that they are "lighting" up the ground. They are amazing.

The night lights. The night lights are not just in random spots like UTX, they are actually where the ground illuminates from the night textures, giving them the appearance that they are "lighting" up the ground. They are amazing.

Argh!  Stop it! :wink:  :Just Kidding: I have to wait almost a week before I can get my hands on this, and the night lighting is one of the things I'm really looking forward to.  After hearing that fps hit is minimal, I'm excited.

Are the number of lights controlled by the autogen or scenery complexity slider?

I just installed FTX Global over GEX and all is fine. Much better than GEX Eu in combination with UTX. Very happy.

You still need UTX of course. GEX and UTX are not an exclusive combination. In fact, FTX Global will be much better WITH UTX than without.

And one correction to a post above, GEX doesnt provide any 3D night lighting. That is only provided with UTX.

I have also been on the fence about purchasing FTXG…I currently have UTX / GEX for FSX. My original plan was to wait until P3D 2.0 and then get FTXG for that sim.

However, screens and vids of FTXG look pretty good…some close to GEX and some better than GEX. I am just trying to hold off spending any more $$$ on FSX, and wait to see what P3D 2.0 brings into the mix and how FTXG will enhance that experience.

AUD 100?  =£60? =US $90? =€70?  When you already have UTX/GEX?

The PMDG 737NGX is $70 and it's reasonable to assume the B777 will be in the same ballpark.  The Majestic Q400 is £40.

If you didn't have GEX I'd understand it but as you do, at this price I remain to be convinced.

ngxu_banner.png

If you already own GEX its maybe not worth the upgrade too FTXG. Depends if you like the screenshots or not.

Kimo

$100 though...a little pricey...?

I don't think so. You get new textures all over the globe. If you want to cover the globe with GEX textures (which is impossible because it doesn't cover the entire globe yet) it will cost you a LOT more. You get absolutely great night lighting that hardly costs fps. Something similar (which doesn't exist, at least NOT without a loss performance) would cost something like 20 bucks on its own. And if you happen to own Orbx regions, you can now use those all together at once (although that's of course something Orbx should have taken care off long ago already). I do agree though that it's a tough call when you already own a lot of GEX regions... If you don't, then it's almost a no brainer imho. But well, I have always liked the FTX look a lot...

Depends if you like the screenshots or not.

Well, that's the problem with an addon like this. Or with any scenery addon. You have to see it in motion. And don't forget that a lot of user screenshots look rather crappy (due to low settings, bad setup PC, not too good camera action, odd ENB settings, etc.). I often take screenshots because I am often amazed at what I see during a flight. But when I shut down FSX and have a look at all the screenshots I made, most of them disappoint me: you REALLY have to see it in action!

To the OP, go look at some comparison screen shots. I personally haven't seen any screen shots showing enough difference to deem the purchase price worthy.

Not trying to sway anyone either way, I found this video that shows the two side by side.  Judge for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBjNszLfO3M

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I have UTX and HAD GEX textures.  I still have FS Genesis Landclass (you need a landclass with FX Global).  I deleted GEX and bought FX Global.  I have never been happier with my sim experience.  Global really puts some "meat" into the scenery, and the night lighting in Global does NOTHING to the frame rates, unlike GEX. 

One of the best moves I've made this year.

Stan

Stan,

I was told that FTXG does come with some open source LC. Is this not true? Also if you are using UTX, what options in as far as LC are you using within UTX? They have 4 or 5 I believe that you can check. I was just curious how the UTX part was setup. Did you use the default that you used when you had GEX installed?

I am trying to get a feel for what one may be seeing that is part of UTX and what are they seeing which is FTXG. UTX does have a few textures it can swap.

Bob

If you want to cover the globe with GEX textures (which is impossible because it doesn't cover the entire globe yet)

But the OP already has GEX and probably like the majority of us flies within those areas.

Personally, although I have GEX North America and Africa & the Middle East, I never have the time to get outside Europe, especially given the overhead of getting charts, AFCADS or add-on airports etc.  Even if I did I wouldn't go outside the areas covered by UTX, which I also own, as the effect on appearance without UTX is devastating.

So if:

i) you don't already have GEX for the area(s) you want to fly in and/or

ii) you genuinely want to and have the time to gadabout to most remote areas not covered by GEX and are happy to also be without all the bits OTHER than textures that make for a good flight or

iii) have more money than you know what to do with

go for FTXG.

Otherwise, consider what else you could do with €70. 

ngxu_banner.png