Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Hansen

Uninstalling Orbx FTX Global ........ how?

Crossing (FTX) Scotland, currently ...   B)

Still a fair ways from Atlantic Canada! :smile:

Hello Everyone,

Hello my old friend Alain. I admit to everyone that I am a wee bit compromised as Alain and I go back many a year and have shared a lot of humor and pain... a lot is a bit of an understatement. Sometimes friends must part, even if for a short time as disagreements will arise. I would prefer to keep a communication like this private but there can not be three set of rules, one for those who are friends, one for those I don't know, and another for enemies. Therefore I will address this as openly as practical

Alain,

Ever since ORBX began it's lead up to release of its new scenery replacement package you have been increasingly vocal and strident against it, and in my opinion, over abusive and far overstated in your criticism and angst. In fact, as pointed out, you have led the charge in such a way that have had some wondering if there is not a direct financial incentive for you to do so. I believe you when you say you have no link financial or otherwise that would profit you by ORBX's problems, real or imagined, but I must admit, your constant barrage of insult, innuendo and criticism seems far in excess of what would seem as "natural" and within the normal course of discussion.

What to do is the problem. I could delay action by consulting the other moderators in advance so we could possibly agree on some compromise that might rub off the rough corners, or make for bad leadership, but easier consensus all around. You do realize I am sure that you have been tempting fate and treating any ramifications like cool hand Luke, but the level of near slander and overstatement is getting a bit much for many. We need a consensus among AVSIM leadership that applies reason and a consistent logical approach no matter if it is you or someone else who was acting accordingly.

In the interests of good management principles I believe that there are a number of factors to consider, including the level of serious malicious intent your correspondence seems to carry. I am sure we will come up with the appropriate answers to the appropriate principles you have violated. In the meantime I am suspending you for a week from being able to participate in the AVSIM. Forums. What happens after that depends upon the wider shoulders of the AVSIM management team. We will try to be as fair and balanced as possible, but hope you realize that you far exceeded any leeway there is for honest level headed disagreement.

Kind regards,

• Upvote 1

my my alains history made for quite the read, loves orbx products a ton, doesn't use any of em, shows up every time orbx is mentioned!

As do the usual suspects anytime Captain Sim or Carenado is mentioned.

They just can't help themselves anytime they see an opening to get a cheap shot or slanderous comment in.

Hello Everyone,

Hello my old friend Alain. I admit to everyone that I am a wee bit compromised as Alain and I go back many a year and have shared a lot of humor and pain... a lot is a bit of an understatement. Sometimes friends must part, even if for a short time as disagreements will arise. I would prefer to keep a communication like this private but there can not be three set of rules, one for those who are friends, one for those I don't know, and another for enemies. Therefore I will address this as openly as practical

Alain,

Ever since ORBX began it's lead up to release of its new scenery replacement package you have been increasingly vocal and strident against it, and in my opinion, over abusive and far overstated in your criticism and angst. In fact, as pointed out, you have led the charge in such a way that have had some wondering if there is not a direct financial incentive for you to do so. I believe you when you say you have no link financial or otherwise that would profit you by ORBX's problems, real or imagined, but I must admit, your constant barrage of insult, innuendo and criticism seems far in excess of what would seem as "natural" and within the normal course of discussion.

What to do is the problem. I could delay action by consulting the other moderators in advance so we could possibly agree on some compromise that might rub off the rough corners, or make for bad leadership, but easier consensus all around. You do realize I am sure that you have been tempting fate and treating any ramifications like cool hand Luke, but the level of near slander and overstatement is getting a bit much for many. We need a consensus among AVSIM leadership that applies reason and a consistent logical approach no matter if it is you or someone else who was acting accordingly.

In the interests of good management principles I believe that there are a number of factors to consider, including the level of serious malicious intent your correspondence seems to carry. I am sure we will come up with the appropriate answers to the appropriate principles you have violated. In the meantime I am suspending you for a week from being able to participate in the AVSIM. Forums. What happens after that depends upon the wider shoulders of the AVSIM management team. We will try to be as fair and balanced as possible, but hope you realize that you far exceeded any leeway there is for honest level headed disagreement.

Kind regards,

Moving forward it is my sincere hope that these "new management principles" are applied in defense of all developers when warranted and not just Orbx.

No problem Stephen. :drinks: Avsim's forum Avsim's rules, if I broke any of them that I am not aware of or any that I have missed reading please do what's right, I should not receive any special privilege, I always knew you as a fair man...  :friends:

Edit: If I may, Nick as updated his post at SimForums "FTX Global and GEX - IMPORTANT UPDATE ON 8/2/2013"

http://www.simforums.com/forums/ftx-global-and-gex-important-update-on-8-2-2013_topic46632.html

No problem Stephen. :drinks: Avsim's forum Avsim's rules, if I broke any of them that I am not aware of or any that I have missed reading please do what's right, I should not receive any special privilege, I always knew you as a fair man...  :friends:

Edit: If I may, Nick as updated his post at SimForums "FTX Global and GEX - IMPORTANT UPDATE ON 8/2/2013"

http://www.simforums.com/forums/ftx-global-and-gex-important-update-on-8-2-2013_topic46632.html

Make sure you come back Alain, I enjoy your no nonesense banter and adversion to BS.

Andrew

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

Guest ecg

If you look through this forum you will see that I have confronted Alain on some of his posts. Even though I personally don't agree with his viewpoints presented in this forum, it is obvious Alain is passionate about the flight simulation field. He has also been a strong contributor to other forums on AVSIM. I admit, I was hoping the moderator would take some action, but was surprised at the severity outlined by Stephen. I hope in the end Alain will still be a member of AVSIM.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Alainneedlesworth1 and all AVSIM Members,

After a number of exchange of views between senior AVSIM management, we have reached a consensus of opinion on the case involving Alainneedle1 and his official reprimand and suspension for his conduct concerning ORBX initiated by AVSIM on August 1, 2013.

Alain has received an official reprimand of 1 week's suspension, already underway which will be deemed completed August 7, 2013. at 12:00 noon local time. He is to moderate and modify his approach to criticism of ORBX, neither commenting directly or indirectly on any subject related for an additional further period of one week, which will expire on August 14th at 12:00 noon local.

Beyond that Alain is cautioned to be much more restrained on his approach and severity of descriptions used in his "opinions,"  and to be more inline with the better part of AVSIM traditions of staying within the existing rules in his choice of words and descriptions. Any severe repeat of these acts will result in a much stiffer penalty that this first offence.

Stephen Wilcox,

Manager, Avsim Forums

on behalf of the AVSIM Team

Whilst I respect the AVSIM staff and their decisions, I am somewhat puzzled by this course of action. I don't recall seeing anything from him that could be considered as "abusive"  :huh:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Whilst I respect the AVSIM staff and their decisions, I am somewhat puzzled by this course of action. I don't recall seeing anything from him that could be considered as "abusive"  :huh:

I don't know Christopher, Alain certainly has a problem with orbx. He's currently on the aerosoft forum making the same argument with regard to NickN's statement. It's basically copied from his points made here, including the 'Experience X' add on email he quoted.

Anyway, I have a question regarding the lclookup.bgl and such.

Now I get that the file contains a listing of texture types that developers use to set out where they want a texture to sit. It's defined in the SDK and iirc contains 255 entry spaces, although not all of them are used.

Now I get that orbx have changed the order of some textures meaning that its possible that a 3pd can specify say texture 121 at point a, only for a different texture to be used due to the swapping/changing of the lclookup.bgl.

So with that said, is there anyway to read the lclookup.bgl when creating scenery? If there is, surely this would mean that 3pd could just produce a land class scenery that's compatible with FTX-G or the standard lclookup.bgl.

We see it to a much smaller extent with some aerosoft scenery. For example, Vienna X asks when you install it whether you have UTX Europe or Austria ProX installed so it can match the roads.

I'm just wondering if the new edited files are readable, then this whole hullabaloo could be over nothing.

Best wishes,

Jess B

I really don't get any of you hating FTX Global. P3D for me now looks PERFECT, autogen and trees are plentiful and in the correct places.. I will NEVER go back to vanilla scenery or GEX.

Good for you! Developing textures myself I know how the end result depends on the user'S very own set up. This is because global textures come from quite a small number, resulting in lots of areas which are quite different using the exact same textures ( i imagine this is why ORBX is developing their own land class, so they get some control over this process).

So if I optimize an area for UT, this might look not so good with your fav freeware landclass.

Unfortunately this can't be put right, so developers should be aware of this and put out products with this caution. Otherwise some people might get burned.

Sascha

So with that said, is there anyway to read the lclookup.bgl when creating scenery? If there is, surely this would mean that 3pd could just produce a land class scenery that's compatible with FTX-G or the standard lclookup.bgl.

The problem will be the Orbx EULA, which is very restrictive. For instance I have fixed a location on Vancouver Island where FTX PNW missed putting in a lagoon. In order to place the lagoon I had to exclude a fair deal of the coastline and then place my own. The problems come when I define the coastline type; if I define it with the standard FSX textures it doesn't fit in with the Orbx ones and the area looks bad. If I define the coastline with the Orbx textures it fits in perfect but I can't distribute the scenery because I reference custom Orbx textures which they don't allow!

Mike,

I'm not saying you can't voice your concerns here but Orbx happens to have a "community addon" forum just for those kind of questions. You could get the answer straight from the horse's mouth.  Did you ask them ?

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Jean-Paul,

The Orbx position on this is well known. A few years ago when Orbx FTX NA PNW was first released; there was quite a discussion about developing for Orbx scenery. The thread (Sim-Outhouse FSX Forum) was started by Jim Dhaenens and Anthony Lynch joined in and discussed the difficulties he encountered when developing for Orbx FTX Australia. Eventually Orbx developer Holger Sandmann joined in the discussion and the Orbx position explained. All this is old news; but I guess some people might not be aware of this.

• Upvote 1