Sign in to follow this  
MED1473

Cockpit Lighting

Hi all!

I was doing a few night flights and I'm embarrassed to say that I'm puzzled.

There an ambient light in my cockpit that keeps it far to bright for my comfort and I can't find how to switch it off. Anybody knows how to do that?

I thought I knew all the lighting controls but have obviously missed this one.

I found several images depicting the NGX's cockpit in a full dark lighting with just the instruments illuminated and I would like to achieve that.

Please have a look at my screenshot below,

Regards

Check in the middle of the aft overhead panel, you'll find a switch called DOME LIGHT, set it to off, in the middle position. It has two positions more; DIM and BRIGHT.

23.png

Yup, checked and is off. When I turn it on it gets brighter or more bright. Confused. Thought those were the only ambient lighting controls

How is your Emergency lights switch, armed / capped?

23.png

Yes, it's in the armed/capped position as per FCOM. Are you aware of any other ancient lighting controls apart from the dome lights and the panel lights?

Thanks for your interest

Strange, I am at my wits end here, if all your panel flood lights are off too, I don't know where the light should come from, sry mate ;)

23.png

The problem is FSX's night lighting. It's too bright to be realistic. Google :"nickn enb" and there should be a discussion from simouthouse. Download that enb series and install it. That should make it darker.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Yup double checked both captain and fo positions and they're off. Could it be anything to do with the livery? It's so puzzling. Thanks anyway!

The problem is FSX's night lighting. It's too bright to be realistic. Google :"nickn enb" and there should be a discussion from simouthouse. Download that enb series and install it. That should make it darker.

That is true, but my FSX has never seen a ENB mod in it's life and I can't see diddely before I get some lights on :) His picture is so much brighter than mine...

23.png

Have you tried the old SHIFT+L? See if it works. 

I would would have to disagree with Kenny's recommendation and not to download any ENB series as it is very unstable, and will cause FSX to crash.  

Mateo,

Seems everyone missed the boat. You probably have the "Smoke" activated. There is an entry in all of the aircraft.cfg files as follows...

[sMOKESYSTEM]
smoke.0 = 36.014, 00.000, 5.000, fx_PMDG_NGX_vclight
smoke.1 = 37.014, -1.000, 5.000, fx_PMDG_NGX_vclight
smoke.2 = 37.014,  1.000, 5.000, fx_PMDG_NGX_vclight

So try toggling the "I" key on your keyboard.

Stephen! Thank you so much! It was precisely that! I knew there shouldn't have been the need to have an external program and starting messing about with fsx's config!

Worked like a charm, "I" key.

what the hell is that light anyway?

Regards and many thanks again!

I use the Cockpit Dome Light on the Aft Panel when at the gate setting my aircraft up during night hours. it is linked to the Standby Battery Bus. I then extinguish this light after start-up and pushback from the gate. But if I need to flood the cockpit during night, I just hit the "I" key. It will only work with engines running.

Ahh this happened to me in my last flight - all lights were off and it was bright as hell. Nothing to do with ENB as mine is set to be dark for night anyway.

Next flight it was back to normal.

Will have to try the smoke suggestion if it happens again!