Sign in to follow this  
Groovin_DC-10

The Importance of VSync

1/2 refresh rate is not the holy grail to smoothness. It will certainly help. That is no doubt. 

However, if there some files with missing MIPS and or the alpha channel, then it will stutter as well is my understanding. Im no expert in the least with nor do I understand it well, but weeding those out with the tools that are around also helps minimize stutters. That in combo with 1/2 refresh rate, goes a long way. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Until we have CPUs that can keep the fps always above 60 regardless of aircraft, weather and scenery, the 1/2 refresh rate tweak is the best way to go.

And locking the fps inside the simulator is a fundamental thing and no other way can produce better results. If you think otherwise you're doing something wrong.

Well, i am not expert in this, just tested and 1/2 refresh rate in nvidia inspector and internaly locked 30fps works best for me. 

More on this, i read somewhere that unlocked fps can help in urban areas(with big fps hit) and in other areas with less fps hit is better to have locked FPS becouse FSX will waste them on calculating operations per FPS instead of scenery loading. Not sure about this, just read somewhere and seems logical to me

EDIT: Sorry Howard, i realized now that you have allready explained this :)

Absolutely

Absolutely

There's nothing absolute in different FSX settings on different hardware.

Dirk.

More on this, i read somewhere that unlocked fps can help in urban areas(with big fps hit) and in other areas with less fps hit is better to have locked FPS becouse FSX will waste them on calculating operations per FPS instead of scenery loading. Not sure about this, just read somewhere and seems logical to me

Correct, this is exactly my experience. Actually I switch back and forth between 0 and 30 in FSX.cfg and Inspector accordingly. Sometimes it's just a too big fps hit for PMDG737 in a complex airport to contain 30 fps in fsx.cfg. That's when I switch to unlimited in fsx.cfg and limit 30 in Inspector. I get as much as extra 6 fps straight away, so it's a serios factor to consider.

Dirk. 

PS: I7 3370K @4.8GHz, 2x4GB RAM, GTX680

The 'absolutely' referred to my agreement to a previous post, not as an 'absolute' opinion. As you rightly pointed out, there is no 'absolute' in FSX. As I said previously,

as we all know, every sim is different and so, who knows

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Just pitching into the internal/external FPS limiter debate, having tried both extensively, Ive found the internal FSX limiter seems to produce better results. So, FSX limiter to 30, Nvidia Inspector limiter off.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

For those using Nvidia Inspector, did you not select the "MS Flight Simulator X" gaming profile when playing FSX?  The Profile and Word Not Allowed's Tweaks all have those settings by default.

I use 1/2 VSync and Inspector FPS Limiter.

There is no need to select anything in nvidia inspector when using FSX. Just set that values once and you are good to go

set in fsx 30frames, not in ni.  but also set in ni 1/2 refresh rate, and smoothnes might be better.  Personally I don't get all crazy about frame rates, but having a smooth ruuning sim is the key,   its a blalancing act.

There is no need to select anything in nvidia inspector when using FSX. Just set that values once and you are good to go

The point being that you can assign settings to the already existing profile for FSX, and it will then load all your settings anytime FSX.exe is launched.  The already existing FSX Profile has optimal settings for FSX already.

In my case the inspector setting works better. I had kostas tweaks applied and I was getting 20fps in a busy airport in a big city with the NGX. Then I set fsx to unlimted and the limiter in nvidia inspector to 30 and I get 30fps in the same scenario. Some spikes to 35-39 but thats ok. The nvidia setting is limiting it anyways. Just my 2c

I'm thinking about trying to set the nVidia vertical sync setting to "refresh rate" and locking 60 fps in FSX. 

Or when flying around big cities set the FSX fps to unlimited and keeping the "refresh rate" or "1/2 refresh rate" in nVidia.  Has anyone tried this?

For those who say I'm doing it wrong with regards to Vsync/fps limiter.  Please read my OP.  I already mentioned it there.  I've tried locking internally in FSX and setting 1/2 refresh rate in NI.  It was a stuttery mess even on low settings.  I tried all possible combination of Vsync/NI settings before finding my current settings.  Like I mentioned on the OP, I also tried Word Not Allowed's setting which didn't help.

My PC just doesn't like having FSX locked internally.  Some systems are like that.  NickN discussed this in a write up.  He noticed the same thing with some PC's.

When I press Shift+Z twice with my current settings, my fps fluctuates between 29-31.  Even though it's locked in NI, it's showing proper frames in FSX.

Like some have already mentioned.  Every system is different when running FSX. 

I did a test flight last night and couldn't believe the performance.  I installed 2048 REX clouds and used the HD Carenado T210.  Took off at dusk from KSFO with all sliders in the "scenery" tab maxed out except water at 2x low and UT night lighting enabled.

This gave me a little bit of stutters but still very playable.  Any other types of Vsync I used in the past and it would have been one hell of a slide show.  So if I disable UT night lighting, I get smooth performance with maxed out autogen and scenery complexity.

I doubt it will run very well around KJFK or KLAX however.  Haven't tried it yet but those two areas are fps hogs.

Maurice

Please post a screen shot of Inspector and that of fsx settings.  Maybe a copy of the fsx.cfg would also help.

Ted

Hi Ted,

I'm just about to head off to work.  I will post a screen shot when I get home later tonight.

In my case the inspector setting works better. I had kostas tweaks applied and I was getting 20fps in a busy airport in a big city with the NGX. Then I set fsx to unlimted and the limiter in nvidia inspector to 30 and I get 30fps in the same scenario. Some spikes to 35-39 but thats ok. The nvidia setting is limiting it anyways. Just my 2c

+1 

Weird, isn't it?

Dirk.

PS: not sure on the spikes in excess of 30 though, I think Inspector still caps fps.