Sign in to follow this  
FIVE-BY-FIVE

Xplane 10 is still my no.1 Sim

the past few days I bought a new payware for my other Sim that starts with a "P" :ph34r:  and had a great time looking at the textures BUT grew tired of the rest of the sim with it's performance compared to XP10.  I missed the smooth 64bit power, 3D Clouds, HDR Lighting, the real streets and car traffic, etc. etc.  I use AS2012 for the other sim but the 2D weird looking wall clouds really turned me off, clouds look better in full 3D 64bit Puffy Love :Love:   I know many people hate XP10 clouds but why?  They're 3D and the others are 2D Walls when you fly threw them :Thinking: 

Tonight I flew XP10 again and WOW did I have a great time.  I will still fly my other sims but XP10 feels so good even in BETA :good: 

OMG I feel like Jcomm and Mitch :lol:

At least you're one of those who will try different sim accessories, and write about it. And if XP is your favorite, than more power to you. Okay... I don't really like the XP clouds either. I do have some saved "other sim" flights with exceptional clouds, and 2D or not, they just look good, and a lot more variation. However, that first X-Plane/Cessna video sure looked good on the other thread a day or two ago. I can't deny that, and would advise everyone to try X-Plane just for that....

Will just have to wait for better XP clouds I guess. In the meantime, it does have some sensational graphics, along with a very fluid look!

Agreed the clouds still seem like a WIP, but if the rumours are to be believed, REX will be making it's way to XP at some point.

From a purely graphical point of view XP really shines in areas that are well catered for wih OSM data and HD meshes. The south of France and Swiss Alps areas are just amazing and are (with the possible exception of Hawaii in Flight) the most beautiful simming terrain I've ever experienced. There are still gaps, flying from and into empty airports being a big one, but when your gaze goes around your realistically lit and shadowed VC from 3D clouds swirling around the mountain tops to trains going into tunnels and cars going under bridges below, the 'being there' feeling is amazing.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

"No news, and no we haven't 'given up'."

"I will not delve into the details, just know that it's of great interest to us."

That was a Quote from the REX forum. So whatever that means. Personally I think they ran into a brick wall with the XPX clouds.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

I use AS2012 for the other sim but the 2D weird looking wall clouds really turned me off, clouds look better in full 3D 64bit Puffy

I have to admire your loyalty to the sim, but what makes you think FSX clouds are 2D? Take a look at this video from 19 minutes to about 22minutes, and tell me there 2D!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Just came from a P3D install to check FSGRW ( very nice program so far like it, btw... ) and indeed I can't say I don't like it's clouds. The variety and effects ( default ones in P3D ) look overall better to me than in X-Plane 10.  

When it comes to the physical/mechanical effects of flying through them, I prefer X-Plane10.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

what makes you think FSX clouds are 2D

This is called "prejudice", nothing more or less :rolleyes:

This is called "prejudice", nothing more or less :rolleyes:

I disagree .. it's called "opinion based on personal observation". Add jcomm's observation "When it comes to the physical/mechanical effects of flying through them, I prefer X-Plane10", then it's just possible that there's something other than "prejudice" behind the statements (my observation being that the word "prejudice" is imbued with a "negative" connotation :)).

Cloud cover in X-Plane 10 can go for hundreds of kilometers. I have yet to experience that in P3D with REX, even though they may "look" better with REX.

Must admit to having bought FTXG and doing flights in FSX/P3D.  :blush:  However I am loving those Orbx textures (along with the FTX regions), talking to ATC with VOXATC-X, and seeing decent AI traffic around me. I await now to see what Mr Meyer & Co will come up with in v10.30+ to lure me back to XP again, although I do dip in now and again to remind me what an excellent sim XP is.  ^_^

I have to admire your loyalty to the sim, but what makes you think FSX clouds are 2D? Take a look at this video from 19 minutes to about 22minutes, and tell me there 2D!

When I come close to the clouds it always looks like I'm entering a flat white wall.....will check my AS2012 settings later  :good:

When I come close to the clouds it always looks like I'm entering a flat white wall.....will check settings

Hmmm, you're right about when you look from the outside as you go past the clouds... They're flat textures, and that is visible from an outside perspective, while only visible from inside the cockpit when you start doing some aerobatics... 

In X-Plane 10 the clouds are volumetric, and so, no matter what perspective you take you will never be able to see them as cardboard clouds!

Now I think i understood what you meant by 2D, and you're right ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Hmmm, you're right about when you look from the outside as you go past the clouds... They're flat textures, and that is visible from an outside perspective, while only visible from inside the cockpit when you start doing some aerobatics... 

In X-Plane 10 the clouds are volumetric, and so, no matter what perspective you take you will never be able to see them as cardboard clouds!

Now I think i understood what you meant by 2D, and you're right ;-)

correct :good:  from outside view or cockpit windows. 

I know many people hate XP10 clouds but why? They're 3D and the others are 2D Walls when you fly threw them

My beef with the XP clouds is the behavior when you fly into them... the extreme, unwaivering whiteout which occurs when your airplane enters a cloud layer.  Although not intentional, the billboard style of MSFS clouds seems to grant them an ability to have more of a visual transition rather than the binary "in cloud/not in cloud" method used in XP today. I'm actually less concerned about the appearance of the clouds from a distance, and more aware of their behavior as you fly through them...

I've been trying to use XP a little more these days - while I'm no where near abandoning my primary platform, I'll get an occasional FSEconomy flight under my belt with X-Plane. There are still some limitations which XP presents to my full enjoyment, but it is a nice change of pace from the usual.

the extreme, unwaivering whiteout which occurs when your airplane enters a cloud layer.

I agree!

If LR gave the chance to vote on a bug that needed attention right a way, It would be this bug. Its totally an unrealistic transition. That being said, I'm sure they are aware of it and eventually it will get fixed, hopefully this year.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

I'm with you, 5 by 5. Since I discovered the X-World so many things have changed. I was one of those who demanded detailed airports, landmarks etc.

Once the X-virus has infected you, these things become less important. I have so much fun flying the payware heavy irons that I own, I don't watch out for airport buildings and landmarks anymore. Other things became more important. Following the procedures, talking to my virtual passengers (yes, I do that. "My name is Ralf, I'm an FS idiot, lol.)

I have even started to fly to airports without checking for add ons at the org.

One of those nights when I missed FSX somehow I added the PMDG as my last FSX payware add on. My very last 32bit add on, I swear... LOL.

I had to tune down graphics so much, that all advantages FSX might still have, were gone. Great bird, the PMDG 737 NGX btw.

Still want seasons... :P