Sign in to follow this  
FIVE-BY-FIVE

Xplane 10 is still my no.1 Sim

My beef with the XP clouds is the behavior when you fly into them... the extreme, unwaivering whiteout which occurs when your airplane enters a cloud layer.

I completely agree!

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I completely agree!

This has always irked me too, is there some way to set that in-cloud visibility?  Is there an external X-plane weather engine?

the past few days I bought a new payware for my other Sim that starts with a "P" :ph34r:  and had a great time looking at the textures BUT grew tired of the rest of the sim with it's performance compared to XP10.  I missed the smooth 64bit power, 3D Clouds, HDR Lighting, the real streets and car traffic, etc. etc.  I use AS2012 for the other sim but the 2D weird looking wall clouds really turned me off, clouds look better in full 3D 64bit Puffy Love :Love:   I know many people hate XP10 clouds but why?  They're 3D and the others are 2D Walls when you fly threw them :Thinking: 

Tonight I flew XP10 again and WOW did I have a great time.  I will still fly my other sims but XP10 feels so good even in BETA :good: 

OMG I feel like Jcomm and Mitch :lol:

You go, madam!  I like personal and first person posts such as this.  But I am missing something, or don't understand, '5'...in the 'other, lol' sim, you mention that they are 2D clouds, but when I fly through XPX's cloud base, I see the same thing that I do when flying through REX Extreme, or for that matter in FS9. You enter them, they opaque your view, until you exit the cloud form. In what way is XPX different from my understanding and/or description of cause/effect?  They all look good to me. Am I missing something '5'?

P.S.  For myself right now in situ,

1. FSX (with newly added FSXG) for world landclass and over-view realism.

2. XPX for ULTIMATE and uber-real night time operations (can not be matched with any other current platform!)

3. FS9 for all commercial and custom/active add-on cockpits and long-haul real-time sessions.

This is my usage M.O. at the moment.

Mitch

You go, madam!  I like personal and first person posts such as this.  But I am missing something, or don't understand, '5'...in the 'other, lol' sim, you mention that they are 2D clouds, but when I fly through XPX's cloud base, I see the same thing that I do when flying through REX Extreme, or for that matter in FS9. You enter them, they opaque your view, until you exit the cloud form. In what way is XPX different from my understanding and/or description of cause/effect?  They all look good to me. Am I missing something '5'?

P.S.  For myself right now in situ,

1. FSX (with newly added FSXG) for world landclass and over-view realism.

2. XPX for ULTIMATE and uber-real night time operations (can not be matched with any other current platform!)

3. FS9 for all commercial and custom/active add-on cockpits and long-haul real-time sessions.

This is my usage M.O. at the moment.

Mitch

my xp10 cloud setting is at 100% and for the other sim I use Active Sky 2012 sp2.  The clouds look 3D from a distance but when you fly threw them up close...they look like a white fluffy 2D Wall.  See Jcomms reply a few posts up, he noticed it also.

my xp10 cloud setting is at 100% and for the other sim I use Active Sky 2012 sp2.  The clouds look 3D from a distance but when you fly threw them up close...they look like a white fluffy 2D Wall.  See Jcomms reply a few posts up, he noticed it also.

Oh, I see.  Ok :)  To get the other goodies 'up there'  I have settled for about a setting of 50 percent for clouds in XPX. Having them generally around the aircraft, (although not out to the horizon) is the price for other settings at the needle bending location.  BTW, that video above, was something else to view!  Whew......  

I'm with you, 5 by 5. Since I discovered the X-World so many things have changed. I was one of those who demanded detailed airports, landmarks etc.

Once the X-virus has infected you, these things become less important. I have so much fun flying the payware heavy irons that I own, I don't watch out for airport buildings and landmarks anymore. Other things became more important.

+1

That's the reason why I preferred several years ago (ATTENTION !!! :O) XP8 over FSX. Not spending even more hundreds or thousands of Euros by hunting for and collecting even more addons to get the "kick", searching for even nicer looking clouds, baggage carts, catering trucks, "flowing" people, .... (you name it), but ... FLYING ... in the air, not on .... I don't use that word starting with "r" (consisting of 5 characters :lol:), to avoid this neverending discussion ...

THAT's the X-Plane factor :wub:.

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

I'm with you, 5 by 5. Since I discovered the X-World so many things have changed. I was one of those who demanded detailed airports, landmarks etc.

Once the X-virus has infected you, these things become less important. I have so much fun flying the payware heavy irons that I own, I don't watch out for airport buildings and landmarks anymore. Other things became more important. Following the procedures, talking to my virtual passengers (yes, I do that. "My name is Ralf, I'm an FS idiot, lol.)

I have even started to fly to airports without checking for add ons at the org.

One of those nights when I missed FSX somehow I added the PMDG as my last FSX payware add on. My very last 32bit add on, I swear... LOL.

I had to tune down graphics so much, that all advantages FSX might still have, were gone. Great bird, the PMDG 737 NGX btw.

Still want seasons... :P

soon we will have whatever the other sim has, i'm in no rush.  I just love using software that takes full advantage of my computer.  I'm tired of old 32bit software, it's 2013 "THE YEAR OF THE RAM" :lol:   We have Snow but it only stays on runways, LR will give us the Winter Textures after 10.30 beta.

it's 2013 "THE YEAR OF THE RAM" :lol:

I thought it was the year of the snake?

2D like this ??

2011-12-6_17-16-17-541.jpg

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

And... if you make a loop over one of those clouds and make the "scenery generator" confuse :-) you'll be able to see the cardboard clouds trying to cope with your fast change of paralax...

This does not happen in X-Plane 10, but honestly, it's one of the features that I could easily give away for better performance, provided the weather effects of flying through various types of cloud formations were maintained...

Another thing I would gladly give away in turn for performance would be the AI aircraft sharing the same FDM our aircraft uses. Yes it's nice to know, but the effects aren't that great, and the burden is certainly huge in terms of allocated resources :-/   That's why I have mine set to none....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Oh, I see.  Ok :)  To get the other goodies 'up there'  I have settled for about a setting of 50 percent for clouds in XPX. Having them generally around the aircraft, (although not out to the horizon) is the price for other settings at the needle bending location.  BTW, that video above, was something else to view!  Whew......  

Hi Mitch are you saying that increasing your cloud setting -> 100% will make the clouds go out to the horizon?

I thought they just made them more dense but no closer to the horizon.

:good: yes

I see that effect but very very rarely, have you tried a different weather engine such as Opus or FSGRW?

Hi Mitch are you saying that increasing your cloud setting -> 100% will make the clouds go out to the horizon?

I see that effect but very very rarely, have you tried a different weather engine such as Opus or FSGRW?

isn't OPUS just a weather injector no textures.  I have AS2012

isn't OPUS just a weather injector no textures.  I have AS2012

Yes but you're free to use any textures.

In P3D I'm still using the default clouds but sometimes I install REX Essential and use theirs.

Deetee, I have had them out to the horizon, but to play....you pay.... :(   I have found for myself, near about to default for clouds can do the trick for my flights. At 45-50, they are around you, but it's clear out to the horizon. On different weather engines, no afraid not. I just use the program generated, or the Net-grab.