Sign in to follow this  
dave2013

FTX Global and UTX USA

This may have already been answered, but I couldn't find anything.

I know the FTX Global user guide says it is compatible with UTX, but I'm concerned about the terrain.cfg file.  UTX modifies this, but so does FTX Global.  I've installed FTX Global and they add some entries to the available landclass types list, plus they may have added some entries for the new roads and lights.

If I install UTX USA, will the terrain.cfg get replaced, or will UTX's entries just be added to it?

Does anyone know?

Thanks a lot.

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

If I install UTX USA, will the terrain.cfg get replaced, or will UTX's entries just be added to it?

UTX entries will just get added to it.

One thing to be aware of with FTXG and UTX, currently the lights will not work with UTX roads because they use different GUID's than default FSX roads, which ORBX didn't account for in the initial release. They say they should be fixed in a upcoming patch, but didn't say when. The other lights will still work, just not the ones that line the major roadways.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

One thing to be aware of with FTXG and UTX, currently the lights will not work with UTX roads because they use different GUID's than default FSX roads, which ORBX didn't account for in the initial release. They say they should be fixed in a upcoming patch, but didn't say when. The other lights will still work, just not the ones that line the major roadways.

I hope they get the patch out for this ASAP.  This is really annoying.  One can re-enable the UTX night lighting on roads, but it's such a framerate hog.

Thanks, everybody.

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

I hope they get the patch out for this ASAP. This is really annoying. One can re-enable the UTX night lighting on roads, but it's such a framerate hog.

What's so annoying? The fact that UTX night lighting is and always has been such a frame rate hog? Or FTX Global did not fix UTX's problems for you with their release? Not sure that a patch for this is their concern, but if they do ..... good for them.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I suppose suppressing UTX_Roads is not the answer?  They cant be that more of a hit with lights "on" within FTXG as when I've been using them up till now anyway?

Without UTX_Roads one would get FSX mix-mashy roads but with FTXG lighting?

What's so annoying? The fact that UTX night lighting is and always has been such a frame rate hog? Or FTX Global did not fix UTX's problems for you with their release? Not sure that a patch for this is their concern, but if they do ..... good for them.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Actually since they sold this product as being 100% compatible with UTX, it sort of is their concern.  John says the fix isn't to complicated, so I'm sure we'll get it!!

I suppose suppressing UTX_Roads is not the answer?  They cant be that more of a hit with lights "on" within FTXG as when I've been using them up till now anyway?

Without UTX_Roads one would get FSX mix-mashy roads but with FTXG lighting?

No turning off UTX roads, leaves you with no roads. To get FSX roads back you need to disable all of UTX - Not an option for me!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Getting back to UTX and terrain.cfg, I've played with different environments (not FTXG though) and from what I've seen, UTX US and Can at least, anytime you run the UTX setup tool it will look at your active terrain.cfg and if the entries for UTX are missing, it will put them back in and you get the "green checkmark".  Note though that UTX setup tool has has a "terrain" and "advanced" menu, and if you used these it is pretty powerful but I would expect you would need to relook at any of those options after installing FTXG just to make sure.  But if all you do is turn on / off UTX features shouldn't be a problem.  Anytime you add/remove a terrain addon I would always run the UTX setup tool, or if you see some sort of performance problem always the first step.

Note that at least GEX NA and UTX USA/Can, GEX will also replace certain UTX textures if you check it in the GEX utility.  I think these are mainly the "encasements" (right of ways) that UTX uses under roads and railroads, so that might be a consideration.  You might consider keeping the GEX mods of any UTX textures, or maybe trying both the GEX mods and the default UTX textures with FTXG to see what you prefer. 

As far as night road lighting, if FTXG is unable to place road lighting on UTX roads, that would seem to be a usability problem for the FTXG addon in the UTX environment.  And I have done my own addons calling the UTX road textures instead of the default ones (because they look and work better) so turning off UTX roads might have impacts elsewhere.

scott s.