Sign in to follow this  
fencer

EADS changes name to Airbus

According to news agencies, the change should take place in January next year.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/eads-changes-name-airbus-raises-052442464.html

EADS will become Airbus Group

Airbus will remain...Airbus

Eurocopter will become Airbus Helicopters

Cassidian, Astrium and Airbus Military will become Airbus Defense and Space

Rgds,

Bruno

I think Airbus is just part of EADS. EADS is the parent company of all of those above.

The name change makes sense, especially since it will make it more obvious all around who is who.

Wait, wasn't Airbus OWNED by EADS? How are they changing the name to be Airbus also? There's 2?

Besides beeing a brand name, Airbus was a company name. The mother company and holding was (and still is until early next year) EADS - which stands for European Aeronautic Defense and Space company but nobody really remembers this.

EADS was formed in 2000 following multiple mergers of litterally dozens of companies over the previous twenty years, the last ones beeing DASA (Daimler Chrysler Aerospace of Germany), Aerospatiale-Matra (France) and CASA (Spain). 

The Airbus company was just one EADS subsidiary among many others including Eurocopter (maker of helicopters), Astrium (maker of space equipment), Cassidian (maker of defense systems) etc. 

Now EADS will become the Airbus Group and all subsidiaries will have Airbus as part or their name (see my first post).

The move parallels what Boeing did when they acquired so many companies in the 1990s and later so that now you have Boeing Commercial Aircraft, Boeing Defense, Space and Security, Boeing Capital etc. etc.

But you are right, it can be a little confusing as, although EADS will be the Airbus GROUP, there may still be some confusion between the name of the holding (the Airbus Group) and the name of the subsidiary making Airbus aircraft.

The reason for this choice is the low public recognition of the EADS name vs that of the Airbus name. I suppose some will say this is marketing 101...

Rgds,

Bruno

PS : (edit) The latest news is that the name change will take place in July 2014.

I do know some folks which pronounced EADS as eeeds. I guess they are better off with 'Airbus' now. :Whew:

I do know some folks which pronounced EADS as eeeds. I guess they are better off with 'Airbus' now. :Whew:

I've been calling it "eh-ads" or "ee-ads". I think those are the right way, other than saying "E-A-D-S".

Does Dassault fall under EADS?  Would the Dassault Falcon series now become the Airbus Falcon?

Does Dassault fall under EADS?

No, the Dassault Group is a separate company. A very nice one though. I'd love to see a Falcon 7X in FSX by the way.

"Ah-ol", "a-o-l".

Nah, it's 'you've got mail'. ^_^

Does Dassault fall under EADS?  Would the Dassault Falcon series now become the Airbus Falcon?

In fact EADS presently owns 46% of Dassault. 

But since the majority shareholder (the Dassault family) owns almost 51% of the company, EADS influence is rather limited - in spite of their 46% share.

As a matter of fact, some EADS minority shareholders (a trust fund) have suggested recently that EADS should sell their Dassault shares and get out entirely.

Rgds,

Bruno

Good catch, Bruno.

Ok, now who wants the Falcon 7X in FSX? :biggrin: Besides, I always liked the name Eurocopter. Sad to see it's vanishing soon.

I would really love to see a Falcon 10/100.  What a beautiful little jet.  Any Falcon done for FSX would make me happy, as would any good biz jet, especially the older steam jets...Saberliners, Jetstreams, Lear 23/24, Hawker 125..etc.  You really had to know what you were doing to fly those early bizjets.

Exterior.jpg

Besides, I always liked the name Eurocopter. Sad to see it's vanishing soon.

Yes, Eurocopter is definitely a name with a good image attached to it.

On the other hand, some critics said that the European connotation could be a drawback when negociating with certain customers...

We'll see...

I would really love to see a Falcon 10/100.  What a beautiful little jet.  

Agreed. Too bad there are so few bizjet sims on the market.

Rgds,

Bruno