Sign in to follow this  
JoTayhen

Aerosoft's Twin Otter X vs Extended

How's the engine-out performance in terms of FD? The original, which I own but do not have installed since a long time ago, had mild, almost unperceptible when an engine stopped  in flight.

Also, how is the turboprop modeled. Being free-running, just out of curiosity, does the FF vary when you vary RPM for a fixed throttle setting?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

It doesnt vary as far as i can tell. If it does it isnt noticable.

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

Well then, Wayne - that's new info! I suspect your comments added to those above and coupled with the news that the tundra-tired Twin Otter is now available has pushed me over the top! Thanks!

Lets put it this way: the upgrade price (or even the normal price) makes this a steal if you're into light regional flying or bush/float operations. The thing does about 160 KIAS.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thanks for the heads-up, guys!    Going now to download!

And by the way, since acquiring the Twin Otter Extended, I haven't really touched another airplane in my hangar.

Alexander Alonso

Thanks for asking the question and everyone's answers. I was wondering the same thing and am now going to put it on my short list!!

And by the way, since acquiring the Twin Otter Extended, I haven't really touched another airplane in my hangar.

True here as well - and BTW, the icing effects are really sweet, had to turn on the windshield heat to keep it from freezing up - just awesome :P

2013728_153250725-vi.jpg

Ya I picked a random airport..... landing at ENBL (yikes your wx is bad!)...  never been there before... for my maiden tundra flight hehe

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/enbl.jpg~original

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Has anyone found a better soundset for the twotter? I really don't find the Extended soundset to be all that immersive honestly, especially in beta and reverse. I have flown in quite a few Twin Otters in my day and there is very distinctive sound to those blades when reversed.

Other than than that, Aerosoft did good here.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

For instance, the older version is a rather docile aircraft under most conditions and loads which, I suspect the actual aircraft also is. I can easily trim it out on my system. Rates of climb and descent are very manageable, on my system at least. I wonder a bit about the response/torque/temperature model present in the older version, especially the pressure variance due to changing prop RPM. Have you noticed in the new modal if the powerplants react appropriately as you vary the Prop RPM? Does the new version reflect the different performance parameters brought about by varying payloads? Are the stall speeds, flap settings, etc. pretty much static regardless of the a/c's weight?

Thanks very much for taking the time to join in here! I really appreciate it.

I'm not very knowledgeable about turbo-prop operations and so can't really tell you whether this one is modeled better than the older version.  I can tell you that the FDE models changes in aircraft weight and the effect on stall speeds and the rest of the performance envelope very well.  I took off from an airport empty on a MP flight Monday night and remembered along the way that I wanted to try it with weight.  Opened the payload window in flight and put a passenger in most of the seats.  I'd already landed at two airports and had a good sense of the approach speeds I needed for the altitude and weather.  But the added weight really made a difference.  I stalled turning from base to final at the same speeds that were safely above stall on the past two landings.  Luckily, I noticed the stall developing (because it's modeled well) and gave it power and flattened my turn with rudder input and had enough height to recover.  I was impressed.  

As for the sounds, they are working on a complete sound overhaul themselves, so it should pop up in an update soon.  Might want to wait for it before investing in a third party sound set.  

Thanks, Griphos.  That's the kind of information I am most interested in.  Your experience is very valuable to me and tells me the new FDE appears to be pretty comprehensive indeed. I am wondering now whether or not the new FDE is sensitive enough to reflect flight characteristic changes brought about by fuel consumption?  I suspect, if it monitors overall weight during the flight I might very well.  

If you have the time and are inclined, how about monitoring your turbine temp and pressure gauges during the cruise portion of a flight and let us know the changes that take place when you vary the prop RPM?

Great information, Griphos!  Thanks!

I hope so, because I am falling in love with this bird. The sound of those reversed blades chopping through air, is like music to my ears in real life. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

What exactly you all mean when you say that the systems are more realistic? In which way?

Wish I could comment, but I never owned the first one.

Jo I have both as I got the old version with Antartica x,  never fly that now just the extended.  I really enjoy it as I love the clickable checklist.  I am a bit of a novice on how everything works but I found the checklist very educational and makes it fun starting the engine rather than a chore.  I am pleased I spent the money on it even though I had the old version.   Use it in Air Hauler and great for that

Regards

Steve

3080rtx  on a i7 12700k with 32 Gig ddr5. 2gig Ssd

Quest 2

Windows 11