Sign in to follow this  
klamal

Could be the answer to the photo real lacking autogen/3d problem

Hello. I just recently came across the mention of openVFR and their autogen products while reading through some of the comments about Orbx FTX Global. While that product appears to be great in its transformation of FSX, it's still for photo real guys like me, not "real". It looks really nice and pretty. But, you're still dependent on the landclass system which can only be so accurate as to what you'd really see on the ground.

Probably the single biggest reason to stay with this current landclass/autogen scenery setup is because of the 3d feel you get on the ground or close to it. That's the biggest complaint against photo real scenery I think. "It's too flat". Well, this could take care of that.

I have made my own photo real scenery of parts of Norway and just bought the openVFR autogen pack for Norway. I just departed on my first flight out of ENGM and it was pretty amazing! openVFR uses OSM data to create autogen objects in their real position as they exist in real life on the planet. So, now, I have the benefits of both worlds with proper* placement of 3d autogen too!

*Note - I did notice some lakes northwest and west of ENGM on departure that had trees placed in them. So, it's still not perfect. I believe the reason for this is that whoever defined the forest areas for this part of Norway just created one big polygon for the entire forest and did not "carve" out the lakes from that polygon. So, in the OSM data for this area, it just looks more or less like one big forest when in reality there are some lakes in there too.

Anyway, even with that, this is still a step in the right direction I think. It is the best of both worlds!! I still need to do some more flights yet but at first glance, it's great! Of course too, this wouldn't solve the changing seasons part of photo real - probably the second biggest problem with photo real. :)

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I bought their Pennsylvania, North America Object scenery items and could never see any items. The folder(Scenery/BGL-Texture)was at the top of the list (hi priority)

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

OP is correct, OSM based autogen is pretty much the only way to fit autogen annotations to photogen scenery so that autogen really looks good on them (besides hand placing, which is tremendous task for large photogens). This is actually the way that X-plane freeware scenery creation at SimHeaven is based on. They have these photogen packages which they supplement with OSM autogen. Results are at best really good.

Only problem is that OSM is pretty poor for most of US, Asia and Africa and it really works good for many european countries and also between them, there is quite a big difference of the quality depending on the area you visit.

Any pics of this you'd like to share??  Seems pretty cool. 

I agree 1000% percent...there is nothing better than photoreal with autogen or hand-placed objects.  Europe seems more likely to benefit from OSM based projects right now.  In the US, the data is still fairly rare but I'm hopeful. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Any pics of this you'd like to share??  Seems pretty cool.

Maybe. But first I have to learn how to take pics in FSX? Does it interrupt the flight to do that?

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

Tap the "V" key, no interrupt, find the pictures in My Pictures/Flight Simulator X :)

Ok, I'll try to take some on my next leg. Might not be for couple days though.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

I recently purchased OpenVFR Autogen (UK), with a view to adding Autogen to Horizons GenX photo scenery.I haven't tried it yet as I have been flying around Scotland using Orbx EU Scotland, but I was wondering whether anyone uses it with UK photo scenery and could share some pictures or video?

I have noticed from the various pictures on their website that many of the Autogen houses tend to have white walls which is not typical in the UK. Does OpenVFR use textures which can be modified if found to be unrealistic, or are there different building textures for different countries anyway?

Cheers,

Stuart Hyett

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "The Photoreal Scenery Support Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.