Sign in to follow this  
Ultor

FSLabs Concorde X - still OOM plane?

Well, I am afraid I am at my wits end with the FSL Concorde-X for the moment. I have never had a OOM before but now it is all I have ;)

I wanted to find the culprit so I used SceneryConfig Editor and removed all but the default scenery.

I read the support thread over at FSL from the start and followed every advice, installed the newest C++ redist as per the support article regarding Acceleration.

I pulled down my details and autogen lower than I ever had them. AI / vehicles / boats are (always) at 0. LOD is at 4.5, textures at 2048. I have Ezdok and FSUIPC active on the main FSX PC.

I normally run WX, SB4, EFB and BAV's ACARS networked on a laptop but nothing was connected for this test today.

On the "Fly Now" page with the trike situation stable, memory for FSX is 650Mb, when I select the Concord it goes to 1215Mb, I load the situation file for the tutorial and let it stabilize, I end up at 2338Mb, I apply groundpower and load fuel and takeoff card, I am at 2762Mb, still following the tutorial, I am pushing back at 3028Mb and FSUIPC starts to chime. As I am taxiing to 27L some textures outside, and in the cockpit, goes black and I am at 3265Mb, and finally, on the takeoff roll I OOM'ed.

So, for now I am parked, I hope someone can point me to a place to start the troubleshooting:

Is my startup load abnormal? 650Mb when stable at Free flight page?

Are there typical fsx.cfg setting I could have acquired that would cause this with the Concorde, but not with NGX, MD-11, J41 or RealAir Duke (wich are the only addon aircraft I have ever installed).

Where can I find the non-default "dll"'s that are loaded with my FSX? I am thinking to backup my fsx.cfg and let it rebuild, applying the highmemfix and wideview only, and see what this does to my default startup VAS.

Interesting also to see if the inherent VAS accumulation with Concorde will decrease with a clean / different cfg.

Thanks guys,

23.png

mosteen, how do you check VAS usage?

I am now in the air in PMDG MD11. This is typical for my flights in task manager:

And this is FSX only in process explorer:

I'd go for the reduced textures when installing her. The installer asks for the type of textures and if you avoid the 2048 ones, you should already be able to reduce the impact. Sooner or later you may use the external view, so that's where the impact happens regarding those textures.

As for the dlls (namely the ones which may not be needed when running just Concorde), head to C:\Users\Morten\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX and backup your current dll.xml. After that, you can edit it with a text editor and get rid of (for example) PMDG dlls, the one from RXP, perhaps those from Orbx and so on. They don't cause harm by design, but if they don't get loaded, they can't cause harm.

You are starting at London, right? Do you have any extra scenery installed which makes use of the default scenery folders? I recall people running into trouble (regarding oom) with certain freeware for power lines and things.

Don't enable too much scenery. Only the parts you are flying to, perhaps some favourite alternates in between. FSX does seem to collect a lot of memory items enroute, so the dreaded oom scenario may then take place when you have the most fun, at the landing.

That is one aspect of FSX that totally baffles me. Why would you create a piece of software that loads stuff into memory that you may never actually see on your flight? I mean, I can understand loading stuff in advance within a certain range of the heading that you are flying, but FSX seems to load just about everything this side of the galactic centre! Surely that's crazy?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Then switch to the Concorde viewpoint immediately. :D Seriously, I can understand your concerns. I think Aerosoft sells a box version, maybe they offer refunds too.

Unfortunately Aerosoft can grant you money back but only if purchased DVD box in unsealed which is pointless in this situation.

I'd go for the reduced textures when installing her. The installer asks for the type of textures and if you avoid the 2048 ones, you should already be able to reduce the impact. Sooner or later you may use the external view, so that's where the impact happens regarding those textures.

Are "reduced textures" also VC cockpit and 2D panels textures?

Why would you create a piece of software that loads stuff into memory that you may never actually see on your flight?

Because FSX is an old game with 20 years old heritage code. When this code was written nobody imagined UHDT textures, 8 cores CPUs, 6 GB VRAM graphic cards etc. Simply FSX code struck its end and maybe that is why Microsoft fired ACES studio because new FS would have to be coded from scratch making it very costly to develop.  

supporter.jpgpilot.gif

Thanks guys,

@B247NG: I have just looked at the working memory for FSX.exe in Task Manager processes. I did not even check my MD-11X or NGX, never had a OOM with all scenery enabled, flying for hours, but I'll sure do that as soon as I find the golden spot for Concorde :)

@CoolP: Very good idea, didn't think about that, I'll uninstall and reinstall with the lower settings set after I have tried the Ezdok and DLL stuff. Thanks for the DLL insight, very good info, I'll look into this. I have to do all this tinkering carefully, I would hate to do something I can't reverse, my rig is so rock solid in every other scenario :ph34r:

I'll keep posting my findings here.

Onwards and Upwards :)

23.png

.. but FSX seems to load just about everything this side of the galactic centre! Surely that's crazy?

I can understand that it is trying to cache certain items. Where I get stuck is the fact that it doesn't really drop unused bits and, later, stumbles over the own rough housekeeping routines. The FSDeveloper article also mentions a kind of fragmentation. http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=OOM_Error

Adding to it and stressing your point, it really accesses scenery parts from light years away if you keep them enabled. One can track it with the performance monitor and I couldn't see the pattern, like e.g. generic parts, which would make sense. Indeed, that method does look crazy for a program only having access to limited 32bit resources.

Besides, good points from you folks on the boxed product. I somehow thought it was returnable. Guess we should praise the F1 policy more often. B)

Are "reduced textures" also VC cockpit and 2D panels textures?

No, the internals should stay nice and sharp. The default texture size only affects the external appearance to my knowledge. So the impact on any kind of camera view for things like the pushback or cruise will be smaller. Must admit I never saw the downside of the 'normal res' textures in regard to the 2048 variant. :unsure:

I'll keep posting my findings here.

Lets hope it works out. If not, I feel your pain. :(

Seriously, I can understand your concerns.

That's why I finally chose A2A B377 "Stratocruiser" as my next airliner. At least this one is very light on FPS. Besides I figured out that Concorde-X installation may corrupt PMDG planes' failure generation systems.

supporter.jpgpilot.gif

Besides I figured out than Concorde-X installation may corrupt PMDG planes' failure generation systems.

How is that?

. Besides I figured out than Concorde-X installation may corrupt PMDG planes' failure generation systems.

This needs an explanation. I wouldn't advise running the older PMDG planes (the ones using the 3 dlls via the dll.xml) like MD-11 and 747 simultaneously as the dll set from the Concorde may interfere in some way. Now this goes both ways, so only keep one 'triple set' of dlls active. Either the PMDG or the FSL ones.

I didn't see any problems that way and, of course, we are just talking about enabling or disabling those dlls. No uninstall or something. I can only confirm that e.g. both sound dlls didn't like each other when accidentally left enabled. On later PMDG planes, the problem doesn't exist so J41 and NGX work out of the box.

But the A2A plane also is a decent choice and you are very right, it's a treat on the resources when compared. Just a tad bit slow. ^_^

/ sent from a mobile thingy /

But the crew is talking a lot more, so there is more voice action. They always tell me that some more landings might help my flying. :ph34r:

/ sent from a mobile thingy /

Just remember as TABS pointed out in another post that the Texture_Max_Load=1024 is only for scenery, clouds etc.  When you install ConcordeX at 2048 it will still load at 2048.  This is the setup I have and I don't have too many OOM's.

If you want to avoid OOM's and still fly Concorde, may I suggest flying one of the Round the World routes.  Mostly lighter scenery and I have never had an OOM outside of KJFK and EGLL.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Too slow :P

Just wait till A2A releases F-104, 'slow' won't be a problem then LOL