Sign in to follow this  
Ultor

FSLabs Concorde X - still OOM plane?

This needs an explanation. I wouldn't advise running the older PMDG planes (the ones using the 3 dlls via the dll.xml) like MD-11 and 747 simultaneously as the dll set from the Concorde may interfere in some way. Now this goes both ways, so only keep one 'triple set' of dlls active. Either the PMDG or the FSL ones.

Unfortunately I have also PMDG 744X and MD-11X installed.

But the A2A plane also is a decent choice and you are very right, it's a treat on the resources when compared. Just a tad bit slow. ^_^

It can reach 0.6 Ma so not as slow as Cessna or Cube. :P

supporter.jpgpilot.gif

I think I might have found the solution to my problems.

Before this morning I never thought of the resolution used... My bad... I am running 2560x1600x32, ten times more allocated memory (I would think) in comparison to the legacy resolution.

This evening I will try changing to 16 first, then move down and see how the reduction in resolution affects the VAS, my gut feeling is that it will solve my issues.

23.png

Yes, that should be the problem. Last year i tuned FSX for someone who has 3 monitors and 2560x1600x32 resolution on one of them. He had OOM errors and fps was lower then i expected with that system. Reducing screen resolution fixed the problem. I can't remember what resolution we decided to use in the end, but i can check

Thanks Zeljko, I'll get on this later this evening and post my findings here.

23.png

[sOLVED]

I changed from 2560x1600x32 to 1920x1200x16 resolution in FSX, my VAS stabilized at 2,3 Gb with FSX default scenery.

And, importantly, the "memory leaking" stopped for the most part. I.e. I can open and close the 2D panels as much as I want, the VAS then does increase a little, and when I close the panel, memory load decrease.

With the higher resolution the total load from start was 0,3-0,4 Gb higher, but the biggest problem was that memoryload for some reason kept continuing to increase.

Thanks to all of you for your advice :)

Cheers,

23.png

That's good news, Morten. Well, sorta, since I wonder if running LCD screens below their native resolution looks that good. Same goes for 16bit colours which I deemed a thing of the past. Nevertheless, if this fixes the issue and still offers plenty of fun, it's at least reasonable. :smile:

Yeah, agree to that, actually the 32/16 seems to be insignificant, and I was surprised how good everything actually looked even outside my native resolution.

With the somewhat limited time I had this evening, I made some large changes, to see if I was going in the right direction. I still managed to provoke an OOM with scenery and high sliders. So, I'll continue to change one thing at a time to see if I find what single factor(s) that has most to do with the OOM.

When that is said, my ambition with the FSL Concorde is to learn how to fly it properly and understand the systems, it is not a sightseeing aircraft and it needs 100% attention almost during the whole flight. Therefore, I will crank down eyecandy until I can fly without OOM and still keep UK2000 LHR and FSDT JFKv2, if it needs to be desert in between, so be it :)

23.png

Therefore, I will crank down eyecandy until I can fly without OOM and still keep UK2000 LHR and FSDT JFKv2, if it needs to be desert in between, so be it :)

Very reasonable attitude. I mean she's a great plane and this is such a nice and detailed rendition. Regarding the OOM trouble, did you already reduce details on the UK2000 airport? I recall the installer offering some presets which may lead to a lower initial memory load.

And with New York, I also run the FSDT V2 airport but, for Concorde, I stay away from enabling the Aerosoft US City addon for the skyline. As beautiful as it looks, it's getting you closer to 'too much'. :mellow:

I suspect that large numbers of AI planes are a big factor with respect to OOM errors. All I have to do is have UK2000 Heathrow Xtreme and VFR London X active at the same time (at maximum detail levels) with 100% UT2 AI active, and I can suffer an OOM by doing nothing more than taxiing to the runway, doing a circuit, and landing again. I also need to deactivate other highly detailed airports in the area (and the freeware FSX Power Project) if I want to stand any chance of completing that simple flight without incident.

That being the case, I decided to conduct a little test last night. I deactivated all of my AI planes, and activated ALL of the high detail airports and scenery in my Scenery Menu. I positioned myself at the runway 08R threshold at Gatwick in the RealAir Turbine Duke, and then proceeded to fly to Biggin Hill at low level (roughly 2000 feet), and London City airport. I turned west at London City, and flew right down the length of the super detailed VFR London X, and then landed on runway 27R at Heathrow.

Framerates were super smooth all the way, and I never encountered any problems whatsoever. With 100% AI active, I would have been a dead duck long before finishing the flight, and the framerates would have struggled.

Now, I rather like lots of AI planes flying around, but this little test proves that my own OOM problems are generally related to the sheer volume of AI traffic that is patrolling the FSX skies on my PC. If I want to solve this problem, it looks like I am going to have to bite the bullet, and scale back.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Then, I guess you did not install FSL Concorde-X then Christopher :P She's a resourcehungry lady, let me tell you. I have never had an OOM before in 1,5 years, maxed out on everything and all sceneries enabled at all time. BUT, I fly only online so never used AI at all.

23.png

So Concorde-X must be flown in 16 bit color depth...for ages I did not have to enable 16-bit colors in my FSX. Maybe the reason is large number of 2D panels opened all the time constantly "eat" RAM at UHD resolutions with 32 bit color palette? It's too bad because I noticed FSX looks exceptionally good in 1080p at 60'' TV screen!

I personally fly only off-line over Europe so AI traffic would be next problem for me with Concorde-X...

Anyway Concorde-X seems to be too big for FSX! :lol:

supporter.jpgpilot.gif

Mosteen tried to run Concorde-X at 2560x1600x32 resolution while FSX was "natively" supposed to run at resolutions around 1024x768x32...

supporter.jpgpilot.gif

Nope. MSFS can run "natively" in any resolution, and on any number of monitors. It's actually one of the most flexible programs around.

But like with any other game, running at very high resolution, especially with high antialiasing and HD textures increases memory usage. Though in typical game you'll rather get unplayable fps before you run out of memory.

Unfortunately, Concorde X is very heavy addon, and the most likely to generate OOM if you're running fsx anywhere near the limit.

Mike Krawczyk

A2A Simulations