Sign in to follow this  
PigsInSpace

Best Mesh, Coastline, LandClass, River/Roads for N/S America?

Hi Folks,

Please help me with your recommendations for Best Mesh, Coastline, LandClass, River/Roads for North as well as South America?

I used to use these add-ons but its been more than 4-5 years since and this is a brand new install FSX and Acceleration.

My machine seems to handle everything well and so now I want to improve things.

What do you recommend and why?

If it matter I'm in NY but also travel to Ecuador and would like to improve things there as well.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thank you very much!

BTW I have FTXG and really like it, especially the lighting.

There are several products out there for mesh, land class, (roads, rivers, coastlines), and textures.  Only you can tell which ones you like the best.  I'm sure a quick search of this and other forums will give you an idea of what's most popular, but keep in mind that popularity is fickle, and militarism is in vogue these days.  Hope you have fun doing the research and end up with a solution that serves you best.

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

There are several products out there for mesh, land class, (roads, rivers, coastlines), and textures.  Only you can tell which ones you like the best.  I'm sure a quick search of this and other forums will give you an idea of what's most popular, but keep in mind that popularity is fickle, and militarism is in vogue these days.  Hope you have fun doing the research and end up with a solution that serves you best.

Thank you for the reply.

I appreciate your point, I should have been more clear.

Not looking for most popular and go just purcha$e based on some specs and a few select images but on user input; hence my post as product have been updated, refreshed poeple who hdd X are now more happy with Y or the update to X now fixes things and its great etc.

Regards.

UTX for NA.

Genesis or Global for mesh. Both use the same resolutions for the most part. Whatever is cheaper.

There's also a freeware mesh project that has some high resolution stuff. Some of it as high as the payware offerings.

UTX for NA.

Genesis or Global for mesh. Both use the same resolutions for the most part. Whatever is cheaper.

There's also a freeware mesh project that has some high resolution stuff. Some of it as high as the payware offerings.

Thanks bonchie.

But can I really use FTXG with UTX? I dont think its compatable with all of UTX's custom LC, lights etc or am I wrong, perhaps being able to turn those things on/off in a configurator?

They're compatible.

meh...Save yourself the trouble with mesh. I just re-installed and then re-uninstalled global mesh for the 100th time...too many strips become plateaus or sink holes. Plus it increased my load time waaaay too much. Be aware FSGlobal mesh (not to be confused with FTX Global) is freaking huge and takes 30 years to install. And then you will be landing your bush plane into a sunken abyss...lol

I think I will just live with the default mesh the Aces team gave me...bleh

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I agree about not using mesh like SolRayz states.  I'm just not much for landing on plateaus and abyss'.  The company that can develop mesh without plateaus etc will make a fortune.

I have all the FSGenesis mesh but just decided to stick with default.  Good enough at FL360.

Sean Green

The best out there for mesh is FS Global. Don't worry about airports that are set to high or sink into the ground because of FS Global, you will receive AFM (Aerodrome Flattening Meshes) which will help you to flatten those airports with problems. I am using it and I can tell you that is the best way to fly.

I can't stop watching outside the windows in cruise at mountains that look like real mountains not like hills!! I recommend FS Global but watch out, it's a 30GB addon!

Regards, Albert Miu
                                                            CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.6Ghz GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 8GB OC Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI Hero RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866mhz 
                                               PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 Case: Corsair VENGEANCE C70 Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H110 Monitor: BENQ 1920x1080 Windows: 10 x64 Professional

X-Plane 11 Group:     Facebook

The best out there for mesh is FS Global. Don't worry about airports that are set to high or sink into the ground because of FS Global, you will receive AFM (Aerodrome Flattening Meshes) which will help you to flatten those airports with problems. I am using it and I can tell you that is the best way to fly.

I can't stop watching outside the windows in cruise at mountains that look like real mountains not like hills!! I recommend FS Global but watch out, it's a 30GB addon!

Agreed. the plateau issue is a non issue for me, i would rather have realistic mesh than not and the airport elevations can be fixed.

Best, Michael

KDFW

Coastline, rivers, land class , roads will be a new package from Orbx....released together or after there openLC package for FTXG.

-Iain Watson-

The best out there for mesh is FS Global.

The best mesh by far is the Orbx mesh they release with their regions like PNW. Holger does an excellent job of removing the plateaus and sink holes. This only works while you fly within the Orbx regions and if you did that you wouldn't require FTX Global or openLC packs as both are done better within the regions.

The company that can develop mesh without plateaus etc will make a fortune.

I couldn't agree more with this statement!!!

The AFM mesh solution is NOT much of solution. Personally I think the developer should incorporate most fixes in the there finished product, and then provide updates down the road to fix those that they missed. AFM works in theory but at the cost of time and immersion. What are you suppose to do, stop your approach, save, exit, apply AFM, then restart FSX for every displaced strip as you encounter. Which is probably most strips in any hilly terrain.  If you like bush flying in the mountains, this quickly becomes a pain. 

Not only that, but the more .bgl's you add the slower the load time. Incorporating the fixes in the original .bgl's would minimize this slowdown. 

I don't know, to each his own. Even I am on the fence with this. I am a stickler for accuracy...

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

The company that can develop mesh without plateaus etc will make a fortune.

Let's hope you're right!

The AFM mesh solution is NOT much of solution. Personally I think the developer should incorporate most fixes in the there finished product, and then provide updates down the road to fix those that they missed. AFM works in theory but at the cost of time and immersion. What are you suppose to do, stop your approach, save, exit, apply AFM, then restart FSX for every displaced strip as you encounter. Which is probably most strips in any hilly terrain.  If you like bush flying in the mountains, this quickly becomes a pain. 

Not only that, but the more .bgl's you add the slower the load time. Incorporating the fixes in the original .bgl's would minimize this slowdown. 

I don't know, to each his own. Even I am on the fence with this. I am a stickler for accuracy...

Well, I can agree and disagree.

Generally you are right in terms of accuracy. However, there are some other facts that have to be considered:

1. Sunken or significanly elevated airports might be implemented faulty regarding the location and/or their runway direction.
  2. Almost none of the airports worldwide is really flat. As FS is only able to provide flattened runways you alway have to compromise at least in this respect. The more detailed a used mesh is the more such problemes are becoming evident.
  3. Specifically in remote and mountainous areas you might have even heavily sloped airfields (take Lukla in Tibet as an example).

Conluding this any doubt might be allowed that an automatted tool can really deliver satisfying results for any of those cases. Of course, quite a lot of results might look sufficiently good, but...

For most products I use (e.g. FSGenesis and UTX) I got some specific airport correction packages (those "more important" ones), patches mostly done with the really nice freeware tool "Airport Design Editor (ADE)" which I use myself to correct the rest I'm tumbling over while "bush flying". It became part of my hobby. :P My best friend in this case is "Google Earth" and "Plan G" (the old version 2.0.5. is based on Google Maps providing a useful contour map, version 3.x is working with open source maps). If I would consider to have such work  "priced in" in such mesh products (BTW, what's about wrong coast lines within the sim?) I would likely give up using them. Let's calculate even only 10,000 misplaced or sloped airports to be handled manually and corrected... :wacko:

Regards,
Axel