Sign in to follow this  
clayton4115

FSX on a 1080p short throw projector

I use a DLP Mitsubishi XD490U at 1280x768 shown on a wall with a 115" diag image. Once you try a projector you'll never want to go back to a regular TV screen again. The only issue is the need to replace the projector bulbs, which are quite expensive.  

Not anymore, bulb life has dramatically increased with next gen projectors. Im still using the same bulb simming 6 hours a day for 12 months although Im 3 months over due for a bulb,  the one I have still working perfect.

Replacement bulb from china $98

how do you live with that type of resolution, ( Mitsubishi XD490U at 1280x768) that was the big downside with my dells300 but with this new 1080p projector its so much better!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/745427-REG/BenQ_MX613ST_MX613ST_Short_Throw_Projector.html

Im using 768 and when I bought it I was prepared for some blurries to get the immersion as I have second screen for instruments .

That never happened! they claim to have some sort of special lens blah blah but whatever it is it works. I fly Pmdg with crystal clear Dials , no need for the second screen.

Im sure the 1080 is superb but Im not going up in res when I buy the second screen. I shall avoid looking at 1080 just in case I "have to have it"  :P

ZORAN

hi, I am sitting 100 inches away from the screen. I am using logitech pedals, and the saitek yoke plus the flightdeck solutions 737 FMC. The projector I am using is the w1080st from Benq. 

Cool :) I tried buying a FDS 737 FMC but was told its only for sale with a complete Jetmax kit which is a shame.

thats news to me, i purchased mine a couple of years ago now, maybe now they are not selling the FMC as a standalone unit.

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Cool :) I tried buying a FDS 737 FMC but was told its only for sale with a complete Jetmax kit which is a shame.

Shouldn't be, either that or they can't match demand. Either way an alternative is to get the opencockpit v3 cdu, it is nearly half the price of the FDS cdu.

Eventual goal:

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Possibly. I would love to have a projector but I only have about 2-3m of distance so I'll probably be too close.

Possibly. I would love to have a projector but I only have about 2-3m of distance so I'll probably be too close.

2-3 m for a short throw is completely fine. 

2 m is more than enough

ZORAN

How about height as I'm quite tall so my head might cast a shadow?

The projector should go in front of you, so it shouldn't cast a shadow. If you have to mount it on an overhead I believe you can angle it such a way so it doesn't cast a shadow. You could also try mirrors. 

Hate to make anyone green here, but I use three NEC WT610's with a triple head to go unit. Projectors sit on floor 30 inches from my wrap around screens giving a picture size of 19'6" X 5'6". I have my own 737-800 cockpit, and from inside can't see upper or lower edge of screen. Lots of pennies yes, but can't get much better for a home set-up? Unless anyone can tell me otherwise?

how do you live with that type of resolution, ( Mitsubishi XD490U at 1280x768) that was the big downside with my dells300 but with this new 1080p projector its so much better!

Like Zoran says, it's not bad. Resolution isn't as important when projected on the big screen, plus the projector uses different technology called DLP (Digital Light Processing) then the regular LCD monitors. It projects on microscopic mirrors, so there isn't any noticeable pixelation. If you go right up to the screen you'll see the image is projected as a grid of small squares, but sitting back 6-8 ft from it you can't tell that they're there. The newer projectors are even better, as I'm sure your 1080P one is. Eventually I'd like to get one, but I could live with this one for now. What is your projector's Lumen rating? Mine is 2500 Lumens, (About 2200 in low power mode) which allows me to use it in normal ambient light. (It is better though the darker the room, especially if flying at night)

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Ah ok. How did you mount your protector clayton4115?

hello, i have not mounted the projector anywhere, it sits on the desk in front of me, this is a short throw projector, the room where my flightsim is is only 2.6M x 3 M or 8.5 feet by 10 feet, so it is a small room, 

see the video i posted in my first post, i will post a better video of the whole room when i get a chance (abit in a mess at the moment)

Like Zoran says, it's not bad. Resolution isn't as important when projected on the big screen, plus the projector uses different technology called DLP (Digital Light Processing) then the regular LCD monitors. It projects on microscopic mirrors, so there isn't any noticeable pixelation. If you go right up to the screen you'll see the image is projected as a grid of small squares, but sitting back 6-8 ft from it you can't tell that they're there. The newer projectors are even better, as I'm sure your 1080P one is. Eventually I'd like to get one, but I could live with this one for now. What is your projector's Lumen rating? Mine is 2500 Lumens, (About 2200 in low power mode) which allows me to use it in normal ambient light. (It is better though the darker the room, especially if flying at night)

hi projector lumen rating 2000,

more details here

http://www.benq.com.au/product/projector/w1080st/

very happy with the projector so far!

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Hate to make anyone green here, but I use three NEC WT610's with a triple head to go unit. Projectors sit on floor 30 inches from my wrap around screens giving a picture size of 19'6" X 5'6". I have my own 737-800 cockpit, and from inside can't see upper or lower edge of screen. Lots of pennies yes, but can't get much better for a home set-up? Unless anyone can tell me otherwise?

Sounds amazing, any pics please? :) I though for a wrap around screen with 3 projectors you needed to mount them on the ceiling. Did you stack yours on top of each other?

hello, i have not mounted the projector anywhere, it sits on the desk in front of me, this is a short throw projector, the room where my flightsim is is only 2.6M x 3 M or 8.5 feet by 10 feet, so it is a small room, 

see the video i posted in my first post, i will post a better video of the whole room when i get a chance (abit in a mess at the moment)

more details here

Nice, how to do feel not having any peripheral vision when taxing etc?

more details here

For the price that's the highest lumen rating for a 1080P projector I've seen! Most are in the 1000-1200 range, with some 1600. The best thing about that projector is it uses a 6x color wheel. That should eliminate any chance of rainbow effect which affects some people with DLP  projectors, Luckily I'm not one of them, mine only has a 2X color wheel.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d