Sign in to follow this  
Todd Moore

737 NGX Autoland?

Lek 767, thanks. I could not find it on my own, even though I tried doing a text search on all the manuals

Ngx manuals are in your ngx folder in your  start menu, disregard if  you have found them

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

NGX behaves weirdly when it hits the ground hard with crash detection off. That was the only reason I asked you to turn it on, just so you can see what's happening.

Now, simple procedure for autoland:

1) Both FDs in. Capt. as master. CMD A active.

2) A/T armed

3) NAV1 and NAV2 turned to ILS freq.

4) Capt and FO course set to approach bearing

When these are true, make sure you are between IAF and FAF. You must be above 800 ft AGL (doing this from memory, but someone will correct me). Make sure you can capture the LOC (again, from memory no more that 15 deg. off the course).

5) Press APP. PFD annunciator should say "Single CH"

Make sure you are in position to capture the GS. Again, from memory you mist be within 500ft vertical offset.

6) Press CMD B. At around FAF, PFD ann. should change to LAND 3.

Sit back, relax and enjoy the landing. If it crashes badly, report the bug. However…

What's most likely happening at some point is that you are missing a warning that tells you that autoland is not available and/or you have not captured the GS/LOC. Keep in mind that by default in NGX you cannot capture GS before you capture LOC (can be changed in PMDG FMC settings).

This was all done from memory, but the procedure is detailed in the FCOMv2.

I haven't been seeing any warnings, and I never get off of the ILS.  It simply touches the ground and lifts back into the air.  I will try turning on the crash detection and see what happens.

As has been stated previously, the only scenario that I can think of that might be causing your issue is that the aircraft is following the glideslope signal and the autoland function is not active. the LAND 3 PFD annunciator should be illuminated. it generally appears at around 1500 ft AGL. Sorry if this has been brought up in previous posts. Crash detection is almost certainly turned off. Maybe the realism setting is all the way to the left as well. Regards

Do you use a yoke? I had the same problem of the aircraft lifting back in the air. I had my trim wheel on my yoke not set correctly. Turn the trim wheel up and see what happens (if you are indeed using a yoke)

As for autoland, my NGX autolands perfectly, flare and all.  I also use FS2CREW.  One sure way to know that ILS is setup is you will hear Glidescope alive and I also hear Radio Altimeter.

I am newbie at this so take this all for whats its worth

I just did an auto-land, and I actually followed the instructions in the manual to set the HGS controller with the correct landing altitude and runway length...I'm guessing that this is an important step that I have been leaving out.  But it still took over half the runway before it actually touched down.  I tried to go around, but I crashed into the fence at the end of the runway.  I really think I need to give up on the auto-land function and just land manually.  I never have these troubles with the auto-land on the PMDG 744.  

I just did an auto-land, and I actually followed the instructions in the manual to set the HGS controller with the correct landing altitude and runway length...I'm guessing that this is an important step that I have been leaving out.

No, you can forget about HGS. It is separate system and has nothing to do with autoland. The same as FMC. The most important thing was that you followed the manual.

I have never used HGS and I autoland without issue.   The youtube video above should help

Hi all, what em I doing wrong? when I am landing with "LAND 3" autoland, it's always hard landing, with lot of alarms raising at runway, contrary using "CMD" autolanding is pretty smooth, everything is set correctly in MCP, only difference is "LAND3" vs "CMD" autopilot landing. can somebody point me to some documentation where can I find more info why this is happening, it's CATIII ILS RWY31 LZIB.

What sort of alarms?

AFAIK, there's only LAND3 and LAND2 autolanding. The other one was smooth die to an accident, but well done ;-)

Unfortunately, you were recording exterior when something happened (and flaps position was altered at that time, you can hear trim sound too), and at that point, aircraft deviated from G/S, then AP tried to chase the needle without success, over corrected, and then disconnected (or you disconnected it?)

You are too fast, you reduced flaps from full to 30, ground is at 1500ft according to baro altimeter (maybe wrong pressure setting?), but i think this is irrelevant for autoland... I guess all of this upset the autopilot. Btw, your GA was all messy - you put all effort to reengage AP while losing speed.

EDIT: Ok, I'm watching second landing attempt. The same thing happened. Looks like turbulence and thermal activity? Do you use external weather engine? Can we see your weather settings?

Can you try another approach with fair weather preset and disabled turbulence and thermal effects at weather settings, correct Vref, flaps 30, and no config change at short final?

here is video, pls let me know what do you think is wrong with autoland : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPBR646dIec

get crazy around time 23:35 

your PFD says SINGLE CHANNEL - you do not have Autoland if you do not enable both Autopilots. Activate the second Autopilot as soon as you intercept the loc.

you will then see Dual Channel switching to AUTOLAND 3 at 1500FT AGL and IDLE, FLARE and ROLLOUT Modes on the PFD 

@precetralis, yeah, GA was messy a lot :) I need to practice it more, I've disconnected AP trying to land manually, then I decided to GA, I made like 5 or more attempts with same result, I thought after this vid that maybe minimums set to 50 didnt allow to land, I ve made it again with 0 mins, again same result, AP at the end gets crazy even if everything is set with LAND3, I can send you filesave prior T/D