Sign in to follow this  
CTBlankenship

New i7 - 4770K FSX Rig ... comment away

Frankly, it is probably just as good ... however, the reason I wanted to get the Extreme is so that I could play around with the OC panel

Thanks, Looking at ASUS motherboards for a new rig but have had trouble getting my head around the ASUS product differentiation in particular features that are important for FSX.  Close to deciding on the Hero as the Extreme has a very hefty price tag in Australia.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Seasonic and PC Power & Cooling are the best PSUs money can buy.  Corsair are good too, because they're actually Seasonic psu's, at least some of them.  Channel Well makes some Corsairs as well.

PTPP bought!! Charles thanks for reminding me about this facility from Intel, at only $25 for a 4770K it is great peace of mind for overclockers.

Cheers, Andy.

Greg:

Your words were haunting me about the PSU ... but not for the reason you might expect ... I just started digging a little deeper into the Corsair and discovered that it has this "technology" that puts the PSU into "fanless mode".  This occurs if the system is not pulling a certain level of power ... or ... if the OS is earlier than Windows 7 (Vista) ... well, anyway ... this is what the guy posed on a review.

This got me to thinking ... what is the best PSU out there?  One name kept popping up ... Seasonic ... I first heard Linus Sebastian talk about it ... then I discovered this ... so the Corsair is being returned.

You are one handy guy to have around!

I'd go with anything by Seasonic, Corsair or Rosewill.  You don't need anything more than Gold rated.  Also, I only recommend going Modular.  You'll end up using most of the cables anyway and Full Modular is exponentially more expensive than a partly modular.

Check these lists out for compatibility:

The big Haswell compatibility list

Corsair List

The PSU's will come in an eco friendly, fanless mode in low load situations.  I have the Corsair TX650 and the fan in the PSU virtually never spins.  I think the only time I have seen it run is immediately when powering the PC up, and even then it only stays on for about 2 seconds.  I've never heard it running playing games or doing anything else other than the initial power up.  It is a feature of the new Haswell / Z87 systems.  I monitor my temperatures with HWMonitor and it has never reached anything abnormal.   I also sat the PC on my desk for about 2 weeks so that I could monitor the fans and to make sure no temperatures ran abnormal.  It is something to get used to but don't let it bother you - you just need to be aware of it.  Most people freak out that it virtually never spins but it is just something you need to be made aware of - a lot of people send them back because they don't know; but it is nothing to fret over.

You don't need a huge PSU since you are only running 1 GPU.  If you are running 2x GPUs than you'd need something around the 850-1000+ mark.  I'd say something around 650-750 Bronze or Gold rated will be more than enough.  This may help you make a decision on your PSU: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6994/nvidia-geforce-gtx-770-review/16

Remember, higher quality and lower wattage is better than more wattage and lower quality.

Bruce:

The HERO, for the price and functionality it provides, is a no brainer.  If I were to start building OC'd rigs for people that would be the "stock" board that I'd use ... then offer the EXTREME as one possible upgrade path.

Brent: 

I'm going to have to look at PC Power and Cooling ... I've never heard of them.

Andy:

You are most welcome.

C. T.

OK ... I've condensed all of my research into four potentially useful gaming rigs that people can opt to buy the components for.  These are .,xlsx spreadsheets ... the link under "Components" takes you to the Newegg page where you can buy the part ... the link under "Mfg. Part Number" takes you to the specifications page of the manufacturer in question.

Gamer Basic

Gamer XLS OC (I like this one the best ... I tear out all case fans and replace them with Noctura 120mm ... $130 of expense you really don't need though)

Gamer Maximus

Gamer Collosus

All components are of the highest quality (ASUS, Corsair, SeaSonic, BitFenix, COOLERMASTER, Intel, etc.)  The goal is not to put together the cheapest PCs ... but to put together the cheapest PCs with the highest possible quality of components.

Soon to come ... the GAMER IHMMTB ... the I Have More Money Than Brains build.

Thanks for all the help guys ... I'm almost a freakin' expert on choosing components for a PC build now ... thanks to you!!!!

CT

Good thread...

One thing to note about SSD storage space. If you have a lot of acft and scenery addons 120 won't be enough. My little SATA II mushkin is nearly out of space. I do have around 15 addon planes installed and about 14 addon scenery along with Orbx USA sceneries and GEX/FEX. I don't have AI packages at the moment nor do I have photoscenery. That will put you over the edge. I'd recommend 256GB at the smallest.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I like your Gamer XLS OC build, but you there's a couple things I would change.

Spending $135 in case fans for a case like that BitFenix that only has 2 12mm fan mounts makes no sense to me.

Why not pick a good CM HAF (full tower or mid tower if size is an issue) for 100-$150? you won't need extra fans that you can't fit anyway.

RAM: 8GB is enough, you save almost $200: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231585

Tick off that Norton AV crap and use Microsoft Security Essentials (free)

That should save you a good $350

If you pick the OEM version of W7 you save another $100

The BitFenix website specifications for the case says this:

Cooling Front:  (120mm x 1 - included)

Cooling Rear:  (120 mm x 1 - included) 

Cooling Top:  (120mm x 2 - optional)

Cooling Bottom:  (120mm x 1 - optional)

But I agree, this is an expense that is not necessary.

As for Windows if I include and OEM version I have to handle Windows support issues and I don't want to do that.

As for memory ... components are optional so a customer can order 8GB or 16GB ... up to them ... I like 16GB in this case since I can create a 8GB RAM drive.

Cases are optional as well ... I personally like the CoolerMaster 942 ... with all of its cooling fans that are included ... but it is HUGE.

Norton 360 is really good now days ... if I was going to go for free I'd first side with Avast.

Thanks for taking a look ... I really appreciate it.

C. T.

RAM Disk? what for may I ask?

LOL ... the answer is ... for now ... just for fun ... I'm going to try and install some scenery on it!

Dario:

I also like this case ... lots of space and lots of cooling options.

And this one from CoolerMaster is another great bargain ... just look at the quantity and quality of eggs on this one.

C. T.

Dario:

What a great comment ... I updated the Gamer Basic and Gamer XLS OC to use the newly discovered Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus and added the additional BitFenix fans (120mm, 140mm and 200mm) to round out a nicely uniform cooling solution for that case.  Now, every fan in the machine glows a nice, ominous, red.  This should be some nice eye candy.

That suggestion was perfect!

Also, by creating the savings on the fans as well as the case, I was able to substitute Corsair Dominator Platinum  8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 instead of the G.SKILL ... making memory consistent over all models.

C. T.

For one time only ... you can have this PC Gamer Basic for cost + $75.00 shipping (UPS insured) ... and optimized for FSX. You can save $100 if you choose the OEM version of Windows ... but I will not provide Windows technical support ... for a total of ($1,578.63 + $75.00) $1,653.63 (with SSD option) ... $1,413.64 (w/o SSD option).

1 year labor
1 year technical support
3 years parts
30-day money back guarantee (shipping and software purchases not refundable)

Now that the components have been reviewed and OK'd for quality (the hard part) ... a build can begin.

Qualifications:

6 years U. S. Navy Electronics Technician
Certified Micro Mini repair technician (component level replacement on PCBs)
4 years PC Technician at Old Dominion University
15 years consulting experience

Service includes:
1. Assembly
2. Performance Testing
3. Burn-in (AIDA 64 stress test)
4. Stick by Stick Memory Testing (MemTest86)
5. Video Benchmarking ((3D Mark 11)
6. Windows Patching and Activation
7. BIOS Update
8. Device Driver Update
9. Professional Wire Management
10. MSFX installation, activation and optimization

Your choice of virus software (Norton 360 or Avast (free).

C. T.

PS: And just for fun, if you want the PMDG 737NGX (800 & 900) installed for $69.99 and the latest FMS data AIRAC from NaviGraph (4 cycle package) for 14.90 EU... that can be accomplished as well.

Place order on Tuesday ... two day shipping ... components arrive on Friday ... assembled and tested Friday - Sunday ... shipped Monday ... arrives in 3 to 4 days ... (variable based upon location in US).  If I have to deal with DOA or defective components this will delay shipping 2 to 3 days as the new parts are ordered and the old parts RMA'd.

If you want overclocking ... you will have to upgrade to the ASUS Maximus V Gene (ROG) (+$70) motherboard (Mfg. Product Page) and pay for a PTPP (+$20) from Intel.  With this combination ... the Ivy Bridge overclocks very well. Depending upon how far you want to attempt OC'ing you may also have to upgrade the CPU Cooler to a ThermalRight Silver Arrow SB-E "Extreme" Duel Fan Universal (+$57.00)

What is ROG?

Dario:

I also like this case ... lots of space and lots of cooling options.

And this one from CoolerMaster is another great bargain ... just look at the quantity and quality of eggs on this one.

C. T.

Freak out, and go for the Air 540. Great cooling.

http://www.corsair.com/en/pc-cases/carbide-series-pc-case/carbide-series-air-540-high-airflow-atx-cube-case.html

The new 330R is called a "quiet" case, but don't be fooled, it will still take TWO 140 fans at the front, 2 140's on top, and can even accomodate the Corsair H110 cooler. So it's as quiet or cool as you make it. Further more, the door can be left open, in which case it would be as cool as any case.

http://www.corsair.com/en/pc-cases/carbide-series-pc-case/carbide-series-330r-quiet-mid-tower-case.html