Sign in to follow this  
aircanadaT7

Question about SBuilderX

Hi! I am new to the whole photoreal airport creation process and I had a question regrading SBuilderX.

I am creating a version of Catalina Airport in Southern California, USA and I wanted to get some photoreal scenery. I opened SBuilderX and did what I needed to do and it works; I get all my photoreal scenery loaded in FSX.

My problem is that the photoreal scenery is a square or a rectangle. I want to customize the shape and how much photoreal scenery I want.

This is how much comes up on FSX:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=155348671329755&set=a.155348667996422.1073741830.127081567489799&type=1&theater

This is how much I want to show up on FSX (The yellow shaded part):

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=155348687996420&set=a.155348667996422.1073741830.127081567489799&type=1&theater

Thank You for you help and I really appreciate your response! 

You need to use blend masks. Sorry, I don't have time to find links for you but google fsx photo real blend masks and you should find some help that way. If I have more time later, I'll try to post actual links to how-tos and stuff. You can also check out Microsoft's SDK documentation for FSX.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

As pointed out, you will need to create a blend mask that defines what will actually show from the sat imagery and also a water mask to define what is water and what is not. Then there is also a night map so that it doesn't glow at night, LOL.

There are a million threads on different sites on how to do it as well as a file in the library on the whole process. It's funny, I just finished the water mask on a 2 gig file, now resample is doing it's part, LOL.

Best, Michael

KDFW

AircanadaT7, you can download this file from the Avsim library http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=140539 by Luis Feliz-Tirdao that has step by step instructions on how to make the water masks, blend masks, shape scenery, etc. I used it when I first started using SbuilderX and found it to be a great guide.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator