Sign in to follow this  
Groovin_DC-10

Argh! Can't find fast food autogen!

I remember trying the autogen tweak where you rename the "default" in the autogen folder to "defaultold".  I'm pretty sure I did this on a prior install before this one.  I checked again and it was named "default" so either I changed it back, or I didn't touch it at all on this current install.

From what I know, that tweak removes some autogen including the fast food joints.

Here's the deal, I just spent about an hour flying low and slow above Toronto, Vegas, and San Francisco with max autogen and scenery comp sliders, and I didn't spot a single fast food joint.  I know I've seen them before (not often, but I know I ran into a few before).

I saw a few types of churches along with stadiums and autogen density seems spot on. 

Now I'm wondering, are the fast food restaurants that rare to come by in FSX?

If anyone knows where one is exactly, please let me know. 

I'm pretty sure that tweak only works in FS9.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I'm pretty sure that tweak only works in FS9.

Nope.

I've been running a modified default.xml since day 1 and I don't get water towers, baseball fields, etc...in Germany anymore.

Hint: If you want to improve your framerates a bit, use one of the "reduced autogen" .spb files. They reduce variety and make more of FSX's batch rendering feature.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Nope.

I've been running a modified default.xml since day 1 and I don't get water towers, baseball fields, etc...in Germany anymore.

Hint: If you want to improve your framerates a bit, use one of the "reduced autogen" .spb files. They reduce variety and make more of FSX's batch rendering feature.

Hi Bjoern,

In the autogen folder, is it suppose to say "default" or "default.xml"?

Mine only says "default". 

Other than fast food joints and water tower, does it take away anything else?  I just find it odd that I couldn't find a single fast food joint after 1hr of flying.  I'm going to check again for other things.  Now I'm beginning to wonder if it messed up my autogen when I tried it.  But I still can't remember if I tried it on this installation or a prior one.

Fast food seems pretty rare. I see 'em, but not a lot of 'em.

There's a BBQ place that shows up at PASI, but it's not always there. Good luck.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Thanks. 

Will be on the look out.

It seems I didn't do anything wrong and the file on this install wasn't modified.  I just checked the autogen folder and it hasn't been modified.  Last modified was same day/date as install with GEX and UTX the following day.  Phew :Whew:.

Hi Bjoern,

In the autogen folder, is it suppose to say "default" or "default.xml"?

Mine only says "default". 

Other than fast food joints and water tower, does it take away anything else?  I just find it odd that I couldn't find a single fast food joint after 1hr of flying.  I'm going to check again for other things.  Now I'm beginning to wonder if it messed up my autogen when I tried it.  But I still can't remember if I tried it on this installation or a prior one.

Well, if you've got "show file extensions" switched off in Windows' folder options, yours will only read "default". As long as the file type is shown to be .xml everything's okay.

When editing, make sure to grab every xml tag of every entry you want to delete. An improperly deleted entry might cause problems.

Also, make sure to edit the right region in the default.xml. Here's a list:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showpost.php?p=127721&postcount=1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days