Sign in to follow this  
Spartan0536

FSGenesis NextMAP Mesh

yes it can http://www.airportdesigneditor.co.uk/

Not hard at all, open the airport, go to tools, change airport altitude

Plateaus are not issues IMO, they are the side effect of quality mesh

I get that. The problem is so pervasive that you could spend your life in ADE...lol.

FSGlobal solution (AFM) provides an overall generic approach to the problem that works efficiently, but has the added issue of inserting more .bgls into the scenery.cfg, and thus slowing down fsx load time further. And load time for global is already prohibitive as is imo.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Just want to observe here that in many of the hillier parts of the world, airports are in actual fact, on plateaus. For example, in my home state, Utah, KOGD, KHIF, and KSGU are (or were) on plateaus or high regions nearly exactly the size and shape of the airport and facilities... It would be inaccurate to insist that they be blended into the terrain.

Thinking about upgrading my European terrain mesh with FSGenesis NEXTMap as well. I am aware of the airport plateau consequences but does this occur predominantly with default FSX airports only? I have a lot of Aerosoft payware airports within Europe and I was wondering if the plateauing will effect payware airports as well?

John Pipilas

Win 10 ​- i7 2600k CPU - AMD Radeon R9 Fury X GPU 

Yes, a trade off - higher detailed landscape or less plateaus.  I put in a request a ways back for the next version of ADE to include a simple tool that lets you create a ground poly around your airport.  The center of it automatically takes the airport elevation while you circle around your airport dropping in points of elevation around the outer circle either taking measurements of your current mesh or manually adding an elevation point.  The idea was it would smooth out that plateau to match the ground around the airport.

Hopefully they will put something in like that in the next major release as simmers could push out dozens of airports in a matter of minutes and share them like they do AFCADs.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

For example, in my home state, Utah, KOGD, KHIF, and KSGU are (or were) on plateaus or high regions nearly exactly the size and shape of the airport and facilities... It would be inaccurate to insist that they be blended into the terrain.

Looking at KOGD for instance though even. Check the threshold elevations for every runway .. They are all VERY different. FSX see's an airport as simply one elevation. Sure you can take a fair bit of time to massage it using ADE which may work to varying degrees of success.

To fix/tweak every airport you have a plateau issue with would take a very long time. I love the look that good mesh provides but it's all washed away when on approach and the airport and surrounding area looks so awful. Another case of asking more from FSX than it was meant to give us.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Given FSGenesis's reputation to be pretty solid and they fact they put out multiple sales per year if it goes on sale for the US I might just pick it up, ADE is not so hard to use and understand to a competent level, if the NEXTMap terrain is really that good I might take the plunge, I don't mind the plateau's so much so long as its not "jagged" but rounded to look more like an incline than a sheer cliff (unless of course that is realistic for that airport). This is one of the reasons why I did not get into FSGlobal Ultimate which looks extremely accurate; speaking of which anyone used that free tool that supposedly comes with FSG Ultimate, and if so what are your thoughts?

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg

Given FSGenesis's reputation to be pretty solid and they fact they put out multiple sales per year if it goes on sale for the US I might just pick it up, ADE is not so hard to use and understand to a competent level, if the NEXTMap terrain is really that good I might take the plunge, I don't mind the plateau's so much so long as its not "jagged" but rounded to look more like an incline than a sheer cliff (unless of course that is realistic for that airport). This is one of the reasons why I did not get into FSGlobal Ultimate which looks extremely accurate; speaking of which anyone used that free tool that supposedly comes with FSG Ultimate, and if so what are your thoughts?

They are sheer cliff's.  The default airports themselves will be elevated on a plateau over the accurate terrain elevation.

Thinking about upgrading my European terrain mesh with FSGenesis NEXTMap as well. I am aware of the airport plateau consequences but does this occur predominantly with default FSX airports only? I have a lot of Aerosoft payware airports within Europe and I was wondering if the plateauing will effect payware airports as well?

It is possible that payware airports can be effected as well.  It all depends on how good the developer of the airport is to "fixing" this.

I have NEXTMap and quite a few of the Aerosoft European airports and haven't noticed any issues.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024