Sign in to follow this  
icebreaker

Glide slope issue

Hola,

My trusty 737 NGX is failing to capture the glideslope at the mo - would anyone know how to correct this. ( it picks up the localizer really well &, I approach at the right speed/height blah blah.) I've just reinstalled FSX & all my A/C etc., I've added SP 1c only, to my 737 - do I need to add SP1/B as well ?

Muchas Gracias for any forthcoming help,

Frederick B. 

You'll have to be a lot more specific if you're expecting meaningful answers to your question. People generally don't know what is implied by terms like "blah blah" and "etc." So, please provide the following information at least:

• Which approach are you flying?
  • Do you have any add-on scenery installed, and if so, which?
  • Which frequency or frequencies are tuned in on your NAV1 and 2 radios?
  • Which front course have you dialed in on the MCP? Same course for captain's and first officer's side?
  • How exactly did you arm APP mode on the MCP? Which buttons did you press at what time?
  • Did you receive a valid localizer and glideslope signal at the moment you armed APP mode?
  • Which AFDS modes are annunciated on the PFD? Which modes (thrust, roll, pitch) are active (green), and which are armed (white)?
  • What was your distance/DME at the moment you're attempted to capture the glide?
  • Any failures enabled/active?
  • Screenshots?

Thanks!

PS: if you've installed SP1c, there is no need to install any other NGX patches or service packs.

Solved - You inadvertantly gave me the answer, it was simple pilot error  :rolleyes:   I put it down to jet lag from my holiday return from Cyprus - many thanks for the tip sir & have a good summer  B)

Fantastic! I'll use the same solution when I encounter the problem…

In other words -- what was the problem a d how did did you solve it?

+1

Solved - You inadvertantly gave me the answer, it was simple pilot error :rolleyes: I put it down to jet lag from my holiday return from Cyprus - many thanks for the tip sir & have a good summer B)

It's o.k. to wish a nice summer, but a reasonable answer on a very detailed list of questions would have been a must. It is quite naughty to leave the community with no answer at all. Information is no one-way street.

So please tell us, what ever it was. We are here to learn from each other. Other wise this all here would make no sense...

Here's your answer - I forgot to press the approach button :blush:

O.K. That is indeed a good explanation for the G/S not to be captured. :rolleyes:

Just two thoughts about that:

1) The G/S can normally (in RW) be captured without being LOC established. The PMDG FMC menu option "deny G/S capture when not LOC established" would rather suprise a RW-pilot, as this would be an unexpected behaviour. But I don't know if it is a real B737-option. "Descend with the glide but not below 2000ft (AGL) until established on LOC" is a common practice e.g. in Germany. This would be difficult to comply with, when the A/P (e.g. in IFR conditions) just would refuse following this given request.  

2) Using Final Approach Course (=FAC, replacing LOC) and Glide Path (=G/P, replacing G/S) is a good way to follow an approach into runways which's ILS frequency is U/S (unserviceable), invalid or unknown:

As long as no ILS/LOC signal is recieved by NAV, pushing the APP button will arm the FAC and G/P mode. This is very comfortable, but it is in RW also subject to various restrictions, because the A/C lateral and vertical position (determined by GPS/IRS) can not be as exact as the LOC+G/S bearing from the ground...

B)  Funny thing to try when flying VNAV+LNAV on an uninterrupted FMC FLT PLN with selected Arrival: When in CRZ mode set the final approach fix altitude in your MCP and also arm the FAC+G/P by pressing the APP button. The A/C will perform the descend and the approach automatically down to the RWY. You just have to set flaps, gear, arm speed brake and autobrake correspondingly. Speeds are autom. selected by VNAV. But you should land manually, as FAC+G/P autolands are for shure not praticed in RW, as this would be quite "risky"...

I think I will try exactly that now on a short test flight!   :O

Greetings,

Claus

But you should land manually, as FAC+G/P autolands are for shure not praticed in RW, as this would be quite "risky"...

I think I will try exactly that now on a short test flight!

I am back from the above mentioned test flight:

FAC+G/P automatic approaches end at RA 100ft with a system commanded A/P shut off.

So there is no autoland... :wacko:

Greetings,

Claus