Sign in to follow this  

Best way to permanently change priority of TrackIR?

I noticed that setting the priority of TrackIR to High makes a HUGE difference on my PC. I wonder what is the best way of permanently changing the priority of TrackIR to High. I know about Prio but I don't like adding (too much) programs to my system... I also have no clue at ALL if Prio takes up resources. Are there any other ways to fix the priority setting or is Prio the only solution?

Thanks, bat seems a lot heavier program than Prio...! A bit too much, I think.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "The Win7 OS Forum" to "MS FSX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

OpusFSX can now do it if you have it, FSXAssist is another alternative.

You could also just create a batch file using the Start command to set the priority to high:

Start /high "c:\Program Files (x86)\NaturalPoint\TrackIR\TrackIR.exe"

Not sure if he path is exactly right but you get the drift. :)

Just go into Task Manager, high lite your TrackIR process, click on "Set Affinity", OK and there you are

This came up in a discussion of Multi-Crew experience when there was a disscussion of process priorities and core usage.  I used to use something called Process Lasso where you could set the priorities of the various processes when they started, and then they always started that way.

It used to be that if I didn't set Trackir to higher than FSX then it was stuttery, so that's why I got Process Lasso.

For reasons I don't quite understand, in the course of experimenting with various configurations trying to figure out a problem with MCE, I found that I didn't have to use it anymore, and TrackIR ran just fine without it.  Still, if you are having that problem, Process Lasso is a good way to go, and for what you need to do, it works just fine in it's freeware version.  Haven't heard of something called Prio.

OpusFSX can now do it if you have it, FSXAssist is another alternative.

You could also just create a batch file using the Start command to set the priority to high:

Start /high "c:\Program Files (x86)\NaturalPoint\TrackIR\TrackIR.exe"

Not sure if he path is exactly right but you get the drift. :)

Sounds good! I will give it a try and if it really works then this is by far the best solution: I don't like to install programs and utilities if I don't really have to.

Just go into Task Manager, high lite your TrackIR process, click on "Set Affinity", OK and there you are

LOL How else do you think I did it up to now...? ^_^

Still, if you are having that problem, Process Lasso is a good way to go, and for what you need to do, it works just fine in it's freeware version. Haven't heard of something called Prio.

Yes, the difference between TrackIR on normal and high is VERY obvious. Night and day. Stutters versus smooth. I will have a look at Process Lasso if that bat doesn't work out, although Prio seems to be a much lighter program: http://www.prnwatch.com/prio/ Process Lasso seems a bit heavy for just letting TrackIR run on a higher priority.

I managed to get it done with a bat file! Nice! I had to Google a bit for the right commands though... I ended up with this:

@echo off
cd /d F:\Programs\TrackIR5
start /high TrackIR5.exe

So I first had to change the directory using cd etc. and only then I could start TrackIR.

Great! Glad I don't have to install a utility for this...! ^_^

EDIT

I had to change the dir because I created the bat on my desktop... LOL I know created the bat in the TrackIR folder and now only 'start /high TrackIR5.exe' does the job. I created a shortcut to that bat on my desktop, which also enabled me to change the icon to the TrackIR one. All is fine now! :)

I remember the old Trackir software for version 2 was running at high (or realtime) priority by default. I wonder why Naturalpoint dropped this feature in the later versions, it makes a big difference on my system too. 

Mike Krawczyk

A2A Simulations

Another solution: copy your default trackIR desktop shortcut and replace, via its properties, its target value to this:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /high /affinity E TrackIR5.exe

Double clicking the edited shortcut will run trackIR with affinity E (cores 1,2,3) at high priority.  /realtime, /low, /normal are other priority options.  Can't beat the elegance of doing this.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Another solution: copy your default trackIR desktop shortcut and replace, via its properties, its target value to this:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /high /affinity E TrackIR5.exe

Double clicking the edited shortcut will run trackIR with affinity E (cores 1,2,3) at high priority.  /realtime, /low, /normal are other priority options.  Can't beat the elegance of doing this.

This is what I've done for the last few years  -  this is what you want Jeroen! ..... Just copy the above into the "Target" field of the Properties of your TrackIR EXE .......... No need to BAT files buddy! :cool:

I have Track IR4,and this worked for me,

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /high /affinity E TrackIR.exe

I get bad twitching in the fore aft axis with 5 software.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

I remember the old Trackir software for version 2 was running at high (or realtime) priority by default. I wonder why Naturalpoint dropped this feature in the later versions, it makes a big difference on my system too.

Random hijack of topic here hehe: will your PZL Orlik ever see the light of day? Or maybe as payware from A2A?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Ryan, you've mistaken me with someone else (pun intended). 

PZL Orlik is Michal's Puto baby, also an A2A employee. 

Mike Krawczyk

A2A Simulations