Sign in to follow this  
HoratioWondersocks

Meljet 777 Drunken taxiing question

Hello

I am a fan of the Meljet 747s (wish there were more repaints of these ,choice rather limited) and the 777 (of which there a good choice of paints) .My problem with the 777 is not one of flight ,it is one of taxi motion (sickness) .Obviously in attempt to add realism to the taxiing of a large aircraft ,it has this rather rolling wallowing motion on the ground (when turning).

If you know about such things and are a fan of the M777 ,is this effect a realistic one? If it is I will leave it as it is ,if not then is there something in the aircraft CFG I can alter to either reduce or remove the drunkeness of the 777 ,or is it part of the model.

Anyways

Cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

I've not used Meljet in a long time, but if you turn a jet that large 45+ degrees at 10+ knots it will sway and tilt some, that's why taxi turn speeds are low.

FS2004 Forever

Thanks Chris.

I only experience this behavior with the MJ777. All other aircraft remain 'sober' so its a case that either the MJ is showing an accurate rep of taxiing behavior, and all others are not or vice versa.

Anyways perhaps it will help me modify my taxi speeds,although I don't think iam overly speedy.

Anyways2.... if someone out there knows of a way of tinkering with the MJs aircraft cfg to modify this effect then any ideas gratefully received

Cheers Andy

if someone out there knows of a way of tinkering with the MJs aircraft cfg to modify this effect then any ideas gratefully received

Hi Andy, try opening the MJ 777 aircraft configuration file as well as the default MS 777 and compare the two. Us the default as reference; [contact points] section and the definitions listed above. Note the difference in the settings for; //8  Static Compression           (feet)  (0 if rigid); //9  Max/Static Compression Ratio and //10 Damping Ratio                (0=Undamped, 1=Critically Damped).

For the default 777 nose gear:

point.0=1,  87.42,   0.00, -17.70, 1181.1, 0, 4.521, 90.0, 1.00, 2.5, 0.7235, 4.0, 4.0, 0, 270.0, 270.0

//8  Static Compression           (feet)  (0 if rigid) = 1.00

//9  Max/Static Compression Ratio                     = 2.5

//10 Damping Ratio                                            = 0.7235

I do not know what the minimum / maximum for those three are except for //8 minimum =0. Play with those values until you find something you are comfortable with that of course still behaves as realistic as you desire.

Sorry I don't have a definitive answer for you ( no MJ777 installed) and another thought, . . . .  if you happen to have a Posky / SkySpirit 777 anywhere, you might compare that also as a reference.

Regards,

Mel

Hello Mel

I tried adjusting those three entries in the aircraft cfg as you suggested.(used the stock MS 777 and also tried entries from a Posky 777)Unfortunately no change in the MJ 777s rolling motion on taxi. Maybe its something to do with the model itself.

Anyways thanks for suggestions. You've helped me with other FS queries as well and that is appreciated.

Cheers Andy

Hi Andy,

You might very well be correct about this being a issue with the modeling of the landing gear, especially since even the stock 777 numbers didn't help - should have made it pretty 'stiff'. You might still be able to overcome that, but it would take some extreme numbers that overwhelm the built in model behavior and those numbers may be rather difficult to find if at all (a wild guess + some creative speculation in use on that). Thanks for the kind words.

Regards,

Mel

Hello HoratioWondersoks,

Give me an e-mail and I'll send you a better MJ777 FDE package.

Let me know what versions of 777 you're interested and I'll send them to you.

by versions I mean 200, 200ER, 200LR etc.

Regards,

horatiub