Sign in to follow this  
Michael Smith

Anything worth stealing from my FSX folder?

Hello everyone -  I am nearly migrated completely from FSX to P3D 1.4 after just purchasing the professional license. So far I have migrated some add-ons... PilotEdge, REX, Elite USB controls driver, and some others with no problems yet...

On the FSX drive I have left the full state of California MegaScenery and the FSX folder.

Any recommendations on what files I should save from the FSX folder before I uninstall FSX? Maybe some CFG files?

And please no trying to change my mind and keep the FSX install alive... I have just been too happy with P3D thus far!

Hello msmithjr,

May I suggest that You Temporarilly keep Your FSX install - The longer You keep P3D - the more You learn about Moving Your good Stuff over !! - Uninstall the stuff that You know You will not use - and Keep the stuff You like - I know that with a few exceptions - You can just drag and drop Your Aircraft directly into Your Sim Objects Folder !

The Fsx to P3D Migration tool May work for You - I tried using it and ran into an ocean of Alligators - Trying to Fly both Fsx and P3D - It creates a Dummy Folder and things can get very confusing When You try to switch back and forth ! I ended up with a complete Re install of both programs !!

However it does work well for installing FSX addons into P3D !

Hope This Helps

Johnman     :p0504:

@msmithjr Would be interested to hear your P3D experiences as you go forward. Likely when V2 available, I will capture a pro license and start the migration of all that will go.

Hi guys - I apologize for just now seeing your posts... I thought I would get an email when I received comments on the thread... anyhow...

Henry - everything so far has been just wonderful. The hardware is all still working and add-ons have gone in seamlessly. I have not moved the photo scenery package but not sure I even will since FTX Global is out now... we'll see. I am also looking forward to V2 later this year or next. The only thing that could seriously hinder me going to P3D 2.0 is if someone developed a 64-bit plug-in for my Elite ProPanel II hardware for X-Plane 10. As off now, nothing exists and no one is interested.

But no complaints here with P3D!

John - thanks! But how long is temporarily? I just don't want to need any of these files in the FSX folder and not have them. I'm not interested in keeping them around for nostalgia...

Also the Caravan and Beaver and maybe others. Don't forget their gauges in the Gauges folder. Some freeware and even payware make use of sounds or gauges from the default aircraft so even if you don't plan on flying them it's a good idea to move them over.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Hey y'all - update as I have now migrated to P3D v2...

Enjoying it thoroughly, especially with the new Orbx packages that have P3D v2 installers!

Happy to field any questions you might have!