Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

Sick of all the bugs

Lucky you!

I think I'd run miles if I saw just one grasshopper. Not a bug friendly human! :lol:

Neither am I! Lol

But on the farm they're just jumping out at you, hitting your chest as you walk....

Either or both, I meant ai aircraft and vehicles, often seem to just sit there and the atc seems to forget about them. And there seems to be no way of making an ai airport vehicle move when it doesn't want to, sometimes they'll be stopped right in front of my airplane at the gate.

There is a program called "Traffic Explorer". It is part of the Microsoft FSX SDK so you would need to install the SDK first.

With this program you can kill and ai traffic if it gets stuck.

Here is a link to the ESP documentation (which is pretty much the same as the FSX docs) about the traffic tools

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526965.aspx

www.antsairplanes.com

I use the traffic zapper that comes with FSUIPC. Also comes in handy wenn AI traffic wants to ruin approaches... You can choose to zap all of the traffic or just the object that is closest.

LABOX4.jpg

Maybe time for p3d.

Bob

I'm this close to giving up on flight simulation for good since there seems to be no way around the endless number of problems. I want to start a flight and it usually takes me an hour, not to set it up but because of one problem or other with fsx, and I'm sick of it. I want to fly, but not at the cost of my sanity. There is nothing that can support my fsx aircraft and scenery, that is more stable so my only option seems to live with the fact that it takes 5 hours to fly for 20 minutes, or just can the whole idea in the first place. Unless anyone else has an idea on what I could do?

Believe me I feel your pain. There are days I just want to get up and fly, but end up mitigating a problem here or there. It is a constant battle. Especially as the addons pile on. I think most have real hate/love relationship with FSX.  

The only thing I can suggest is to follow all the great tuning guides available to us, make sure your hardware is up to spec, make sure Windows is up to spec, make sure FSX is not overly tweaked and hd's are defragged, and that you take a very meticulous approach when installing addons and altering fsx files.

But remember, know matter how much time and money you spend, FSX will never be perfect.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I think that crashes in FSX are directly proportionate to how many add ons you are running that run concurrently and use Simconnect or FSUIPC. I used to have a mid range computer that I knew wouldn't handle a lot of add ons, so I never tried. I ran FSX full screen with no add ons except scenery with modest to mid-high settings and hardly ever had a crash. Earlier this year I invested in a new rig that can power a small country (well, North Korea at least). Now I'm spoiled and run in windowed mode with a moving map on a second screen, Ideal Flight or Air Hauler running, a weather engine, FSXsave (auto backup), etc. I love it, but I recognize that I should expect the occasional CTD when so many programs are communicating with each other. That's a good trade off in my opinion. Oh, and don't let the XPlane crowd convince you it's any better on the other side. I spent hours with the demo last week to configure it with graphics settings that were quite modest, yet I still had a CTD about every third load, which is something I never have in FSX.

If you are running a clean install of FSX (no tweaks except highmemfix perhaps) in full screen mode with no simconnect programs and get frequent crashes then something is definitely wrong. You should rarely have a crash, maybe every 10-20 flights if that. If you are running with a lot of add ons or other background programs then don't blame FSX. A clean install without the add ons should fix it. Then you can add other programs one at a time to test stability. Of course, a high end computer will give you more overhead to work with.

You WILL experience the same issues.

Hi Rendi, I would agree that you may experience the same with some but not with others. I guess my point is that P3D is going through code changes, FSX is not. So, moving forward if you are not interested in XPX or other civil FlightSims then P3D is a logical choice.

Bob

I've been running various forms of FS for...well...years and years. If I've ever had crashes or apparently insoluble bugs I look at what I did to encourage.them.

Did I implement some unproven or speculative tweak in FSX.cfg? Did I fiddle with the scenery library order "on the fly"? Did I whack up the sliders way beyond what my system could handle? There are many reasons why bugs that crash FSX happen, but almost all of them are due to unproven tweaks or pushing FSX and your system beyond what it is capable of.

I have a pretty modest system by today's standards and my strategy for getting a smooth and acceptable frame rate and stability perhaps starts in a different way from that used by many. I never start by maximising everything and working backwards. I start with virtually no scenery, weather or mesh detail and try to achieve the highest frame rate possible, followed by conservative tweaks which give the best stability over time.

I then, step by step, introduce a little more detail until I see stutters, or frame rates below acceptable flying (which for me is 30 fps - any less and I start to see lack of fidelity in the flight model). So I make a final adjustment based on the aircraft and scenery loaded. It doesn't take long,

In 15 years there is only one product that defeated me and that was Aerosoft's Airbus X which still crashes FSX despite a lot of troubleshooting over a long period of time.

Rather than thinking "How much detail can I cram in without bringing my system to its knees", I do the opposite: What is the maximum frame rate I can achieve and flawless stability with sliders to the far left? In my case, on a very average system, I can hit 400 fps with the default C172. Of course that is by itself not anything stunning. It does demonstrate however that FSX can work really well if you don't push it. I then load a somewhat more demanding aircraft and observe how it handles the same settings. Then I start gradually introducing more detail and look carefully at what is going on. Are there stutters? Is scenery taking a long time to load? Are blurries evident? These are all indicators that the system is getting stressed.

Over three quarters of our own apparently insoluble support issues are solved by doing very basic things: Did you enable "advanced animations" (which many addons rely upon)? Did you try some bizarre tweak in fsx.cfg that you did not declare? Have you got all sorts of wierd and wonderful other tweaks going on, together with endless shader addons etc etc?. In my experience almost all "bugs" that crash FSX can be addressed by starting from simple, straightforward beginnings. Until you eliminate the exotic tweaks you cannot possibly know why FSX is not stable.

Sometimes the simplest thing can be overlooked in the quest for better performance. I once had a customer whose computer crashed everytime he loaded up one of the Dukes. The emails went back and forth for nearly a month. We tried everything. Then I asked one simple question: "have you checked that you DO have FSX Sp2?". The reply was..."Umm...oh...I'm not sure". Case solved.

Best Wishes,

Rob - RealAir

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Realair support is one of the best, very personal and to the point, normally ending in a fast fix and and a patch released, if only they were all released so bug free!

I guess there up coming 172 will be another must buy...if only they would give us a small hint as to how things are progressing....hint hint Robert, I will buy you a nice Weiss beer if you pass by my way :-)

-Iain Watson-

Which runs fsx better, full screen or maximized window? I usually go maximized window, should I try the full window?

I'm this close to giving up on flight simulation for good since there seems to be no way around the endless number of problems. I want to start a flight and it usually takes me an hour, not to set it up but because of one problem or other with fsx, and I'm sick of it. I want to fly, but not at the cost of my sanity. There is nothing that can support my fsx aircraft and scenery, that is more stable so my only option seems to live with the fact that it takes 5 hours to fly for 20 minutes, or just can the whole idea in the first place. Unless anyone else has an idea on what I could do?

Just delete FSX ! Problem solved ! LOL....

You should try XPX !

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Which runs fsx better, full screen or maximized window? I usually go maximized window, should I try the full window?

Full screen all the way for me, but I have a low-end system. Mind you, even with a powerful rig I'd probably go full screen anyway; there's something about the window border that just kills the immersion for me. I have an old laptop that I use for viewing checklists, charts, and running Aerosoft's flight calculator etc during flight so that keeps someof the pressure off the main system.

I do follow Rob's advice to some degree in that I am happy to sacrifice detail for smooth FPS performance, but I find it's not actually that big a sacrifice. Orbx areas still look good with the autogen slider at the halfway point and the other sliders mostly on or close to the right although I won't be going with FTXG for the foreseeable future because I like to keep some less demanding scenery areas in the world for those aircraft that aren't so FPS-friendly. I run UTX/GEX in EU, AL and US for the non-Orbx areas, and have Scenery Tech landclass for Asia and, I think, Africa. My next scenery purchase will be UTX Caribbean.

Otherwise as far as add-ons go I run Ideal Flight, FSCaptain and Opus. Add FSINN to that for online flying and that's about it. I do get the occasional CTD, but mostly when I've been messing about swapping planes in-flight (after about four switches, you're into the danger zone, I find). Having said all that, I don't run anything like PMDG's 737, FSCrew (don't need it for GA) or have any big payware airports. I've even avoided buying the Flight 1 King Air because my system hates glass - and the King Air is my favourite aircraft (fingers crossed for MilViz).

In short, odds are your system is better than mine (I've yet to find anyone on here with lower specs!), and I don't have anything like the level of problems you're describing (God of FSX, please don't smite me), so I'd agree with the others that the problem, is likely not FSX itself. A couple of days of pain doing a re-install might well be worth it.

Best of luck.

Just delete FSX ! Problem solved ! LOL....

You should try XPX !

I think MarkSC already covered that. :smile:

I would like to parrot the wisdom in the #24 post by Rob Young. While I won't compare myself to Mr. Young's phenomenal manipulation of MSFS, I can admit to having experience since MSFS v.1.0 on the IBM AT back in '84 and X-plane v.3 a little later.

I spent decades chasing the Holy Grail of mid double-digit FPS until I defined what I actually wanted to accomplish. Surprisingly, there is remarkably few simmers that really understand what he/she is trying to accomplish. Let ask you a couple of questions...

Q1: Do you spend your sim time flying an enjoyable, well or not so well planned (ad hoc) flight?

Q2: Do you spend your sim time constantly tweaking, configuring, adding the newest aircraft/scenery addon, etc.?

The answers to the above questions will tell you whether you really want to fly or if your enjoyment is derived from the constant pursuit of the mythical, "Super-Tastic Flight Simulator." Either one is your choice and perfectly acceptable. There are different compensations depending on which choice you make. Just make sure you know which choice you are making; otherwise, you are doomed to constant, unfulfilling frustration.

So, do you want to fly or do you want to fiddle and twiddle? Once you identify what you really want to do with your sim time, life will get sweeter.

I really wonder why this concept is not better understood since it applies to everything in life... People spend their time doing what they really want to do.

Getting back to Mr. Young's wisdom and my ONE recipe for happy simming...

(1) Start clean with the basic and most accepted tweaks.

(2a) Start with all sliders to the left for ONE hour making the baseline, initial entries in a paper(?) log. The vast majority of flight simmers never keep a log of their changes. Your log should include blurriest, FPS, stutters and the "feel" of the flying experience plus whatever other comments will serve you best. It is possible to enjoy a superb flight experience with very low FPS if you stay in the cockpit.

(2b) Make ONE change.

(2c) After 4 hours of flying, make your entries in your log. Since this process is not a quick fix, but an orderly and methodical project it is liable to take days or weeks. Keeping an orderly and complete log will be an invaluable asset, especially if you have some days between flights.

(3) Enjoy flying ONE aircraft of your choice for ONE week. You will be better able to appreciate the model and enjoy flying more because your gained familiarity with the airplane will allow more freedom to just fly!

(4) While enjoying #2, keep your wits about you and record on paper what happens.

(5) Repeat steps 2b through 4 until your log tells you that you have reached the apex of the capability of your computer hardware.

(6a) Now that your base flight simulator performance has been identified you can now begin to include your favorite payware/freeware aircraft, scenery, mesh and utilities.

(6b) Continue making notes in your log as you add ONE addon and fly for no less than 4 hours.

(6c) If you notice any degradation, be sure to double-check you have configured your flightsim per the developer's instructions. If you have and are still seeing poor performance and post on the developer's forum and/or the AVSIM boards. Others may have experienced the same thing and the turn-around will normally be much quicker.

(6d) DO NOT PROCEED TO ADDING ANOTHER ADDON UNTIL THE ISSUES IN 6c ARE COMPLETELY RESOLVED. Not yelling, using CAPS for emphasis. The reality is something is amiss and any additional variables will only create frustration. Be prepared to accept any particular addon may not be compatible with your particular computer. It may be necessary to scrap it and move on.

(6e) Repeat steps 6a through 6d as necessary.

The astute simmer will recognize this "ONE" recipe keeps the actual act of flying as the primary activity and it is my hope that in following my recipe the flightsimmer will rediscover the joy of what we all wanted to enjoy... The simulated experience of flying an aircraft. Otherwise, what are we all doing here?

Anyway, that's my $0.02.

Thanks code trucker. Your 2 cent is worth a million...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reece

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV