Sign in to follow this  
pablo_gsxr750

Am I Chasing The Impossible..?

Hello,

Am I chasing the impossible..?

Despite owning what is I think is an above average pc to run both FSX and PMDG smoothly - I continue to be frustrated by the lack of smoothness at most if not all stock airports during takeoff and landing with an average FPS of 23 when flying my 737NGX instead of the stock Microsoft aircraft where I can achieve an average FPS of 34.

For information I do utilise a 3 x 22" widescreen setup using TrackIR and AMD Eyefinity Multi Display with a resolution of 5760 x 1080 @ 60 Hz (Bezel Compensation = 6048 x 1080 @ 60 Hz) and also utilise these additional programs...FSGlobal2010, AS2012 for weather and REX for textures.  My only tweaks to the stock fsx.cfg are HIGHMEMFIX=1, a visit to http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html and using an external FPS Limiter set at 30 FPS.

To be honest I'd be very happy with something above 20 FPS at all times if it could remain smooth.  I wouldn't say I am a FPS junkie but, if I adjust my FSX settings to give me more than 23 FPS when using my 737NGX the world around my flight ends up looking crap.  Surely, with a above average pc spec I could expect more or is it as I suspect I am just chasing the impossible..?

Any help, guidance or suggestions would be appreciated as I'm slowing losing the plot to control myself and kick the pc out the window.

Regards...Pablo

System: ASUS P8P67 PRO Motherboard B3 | Intel Core i7 3770K 3500GHz | 2 x ATI Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB (Cayman Pro) Crossfire | G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL10-8GBXL 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1600 | Microsoft Windows 7 Pro

Regards - Pablo

Overclock the CPU, shouldn't take a lot of effort to reach ~4.5GHz (as long as you have a good heatsink!!!). There's a program called RaedonPro (i think?) that allows you to set up graphics profiles, similar to what Nvidia Inspector does for Nvidia cards. Should be more info in the forum. I'm not an AMD user so I can't tell you a lot about it.

Or, if you are going to upgrade the GPU....nvidia is the way to go  :biggrin:

Jaime Boyle

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

pilotbanner.jpg

That kind of resolution in FSX is a frame killer. The only solution I see is to overclock your cpu as high as possible. It will probably only give you and extra few frames but that should be enough.

Smoothness and framerate seem interlinked but they are not really. Sometimes in super dense areas with tons of addons my beast of a computer gets down to 17-18fps. But here is the thing - I really dont notice because its still really smooth - seems like 30fps. Id turn the frame counter off and concentrate on getting a smoother experience. Id highly recommend an adaptive v-sync (not sure if this is possible on multi monitors though?)

Upgrading the GPU seems like a waste of money to me. FSX barely uses the GPU anyway - a mid end one would suffice.

I have one of the best computers and have the same problemen with fsx framerate. I have tried an i7, an AMD, I have tried several gpu's, but it is always the same old story of low fps, like 10-15 at an adon airport and 25 in the air. And I have tried every tweaking tip that I could find. I tried fsxbooster, etc...

I gave up...

32fps with stock aircraft? thats really bad. i hope 32 when fps locked only.

fsxbooster, venetubo and too many tweaks may be a very bad idea... ATI may be another bad idea too. Most of happy fsx users are folowed Word Not Allowed's guide, or Avsim DX10 guide

I have one of the best computers and have the same problemen with fsx framerate. I have tried an i7, an AMD, I have tried several gpu's, but it is always the same old story of low fps, like 10-15 at an adon airport and 25 in the air. And I have tried every tweaking tip that I could find. I tried fsxbooster, etc...

I gave up...

Martin - this sounds very unusual. If you would like some help then drop me a message and I can try my best. Im pretty good with FSX systems. Just let me know what hardware your using and send me a copy of your CFG settings, NVIDIA inspector setting and FSX settings and Id be happy to take a look for you.

maybe it's time to think about the future like PMDG mentioned at their Conference.....Other sims that are better optimized to use all your PC's power.  PMDG is planning on releasing new products in the future on a new sim :ph34r:

Hello, I don't know what all the fuss is about frame rates, if a simmer came and saw my pc with the 737ngx flying in the outside view on my other monitor he/she would have no idea what the frame rate is. Bear this in mind. regards, Richard Welsh.

maybe it's time to think about the future like PMDG mentioned at their Conference.....Other sims that are better optimized to use all your PC's power.  PMDG is planning on releasing new products in the future on a new sim :ph34r:

I have been hearing about a "new sim" here and there in the forums...I am wondering if its the next iteration of P3D or another?

I have been hearing about a "new sim" here and there in the forums...I am wondering if its the next iteration of P3D or another?

PMDG is staying away from P3D......EULA :ph34r:  :P

Just a couple of thoughts. 1. Overclock your CPU, 2 Overclock your CPU, 3 Overclock your CPU. You should be able to get to around 4.5 Ghz with a decent heatsink. I have a $30 Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and 2 fans in a push pull arrangement. NVIDIA is a better GPU when it comes to FSX. It has shown to have particular performance issues with 2 graphics cards in a Crossfire setup ("crossfire" is an ATI/Radeon marketing term but its really just another word for SLI). I learned that the hard way. Overclocking with all 4 RAM slots filled might be an issue though. Its more work for the memory controller. If you have an issue, consider a 2x8 gb setup. anything more than 8gb is overkill if only using for FSX. Regards

Martin - this sounds very unusual. If you would like some help then drop me a message and I can try my best. Im pretty good with FSX systems. Just let me know what hardware your using and send me a copy of your CFG settings, NVIDIA inspector setting and FSX settings and Id be happy to take a look for you.

Thanks,

Last month I switched to a computer with an AMD FX-8120 processor and an AMD Radeon HF 7800 series. I could by that one very cheap and it is water cooled.

I had a I7@920 with a geforce GTX 660ti GPU. Many games go way better with my new computer, except fsx. I doesn't even matter if I have my fsx settings high or low. Framerates are nearly the same. 

Default airplanes do have a good framerate!

Do you know anything about ATI?

I was wondering; I have overclocked my cpu and videocard somewhat... however when I check the processor usage, it never exceeds like 50%. It also uses way less memory then I have got. So, is overclocking usefull anyway? Why is fsx so bad when my processor is not being used fully?