Sign in to follow this  
pablo_gsxr750

Am I Chasing The Impossible..?

Thanks,

Last month I switched to a computer with an AMD FX-8120 processor and an AMD Radeon HF 7800 series. I could by that one very cheap and it is water cooled.

I had a I7@920 with a geforce GTX 660ti GPU. Many games go way better with my new computer, except fsx. I doesn't even matter if I have my fsx settings high or low. Framerates are nearly the same.

Default airplanes do have a good framerate!

Do you know anything about ATI?

I was wondering; I have overclocked my cpu and videocard somewhat... however when I check the processor usage, it never exceeds like 50%. It also uses way less memory then I have got. So, is overclocking usefull anyway? Why is fsx so bad when my processor is not being used fully?

No that does not sound right at all. FSX should be using 80% plus on the cpu during high load times (in high alt cruise the % will be much less).

I used to have ATI - Nvidia is better for fsx but that doesnt matter much as it seems your problem is with FSX not using your CPU efficiently.

Your memory will not get used all at once. Only however much is required will be used and by FSX the max it can use is 4.1GB due to system32 restrictions.

Can you send over a copy of your CFG settings? You can find this file at %AppData%\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.cfg.

Also, at what Ghz is your overclocked cpu at now? (stock is 3.1ghz correct?)

I tried over clocking CPU from the BIOS settings, and it was FSX was really good, until it froze. Also some really bad blue screen errors started happening. So I had to revert to normal settings.

I guess if your PC is at the end of it's life its a thing worth doing, but I have seen a lot of bad things about over clocking.

I tried over clocking CPU from the BIOS settings, and it was FSX was really good, until it froze. Also some really bad blue screen errors started happening. So I had to revert to normal settings.

I guess if your PC is at the end of it's life its a thing worth doing, but I have seen a lot of bad things about over clocking.

Sounds like you dont know how to overclock. Looks like your vcore was too low for the multiplier you had set.

Ive overclocked my processor from 3.5ghz to 4.8ghz straight out of the box from day 1. 2 years later still no issues or blue screens. You just have to get it set up right. 

Get rid of all add on's with the exception of one weather engine. Overclock the CPU to what you can. If you do anything with the Gpu switch out to Nvidea. With the multiple screens you are asking a lot out of your CPU. I remember the hit I took just going from a 19" to a 27" screen. It does make a big difference. All I have is AS2012 and Aircraft and I run maxed out. Keep it clean.

Thanks,

Ron

I must take my words back!

I was having very bad fps on a high end computer. So Elliot (RiceySpicey) helped me out big time. He helped me tweaking and after a lot of it I finaly get 30fps during cruise in the NGX. So you might not be chasing the impossible! Breakthru was the fact that I had to set the fps to unlimited (maybe an idea to anyone who's having problems. All tweaks say you should limit it to 30). It did a better job then putting it to 30fps. And you should have the right settings on ATI or Nvidea. So it should be possible!

Thank you Elliot Westacott!

In prep of the 777, and the fact that my computer just fried itself, I am rebuilding. I know that I want the intel i7 4770k 3.5, but I am not sure about the motherboard. I am thinking about the ASUS MAXIMUS VI EXTREME LGA 1150 Intel Z87 Motherboard. Anyone think thisnisna good combo, or not?

I used to worry about fps with FSX until I got fed up lol. Then i gave XPX a try and everything runs smoothly with awesome graphics. I still play fsx, but not as much as I used to.

Another Intel user complaining about poor FPS.

and also utilise these additional programs...FSGlobal2010, AS2012 for weather and REX for textures.  My only tweaks to the stock fsx.cfg are HIGHMEMFIX=1, ******* tweaks, and using an external FPS Limiter set at 30 FPS.

You are running a lot of graphically intense add-ons, which FSX just can't handle well at all (I have to drop my AA *mode* to the lowest level for FSX whereas I can keep it maxed out for everything else, because the FSX graphics engine just can't handle it).

For the hell of it, strip FSX back to the basics, lose the tweaks (except for HIGHMEMFIX=1), and see how it goes.

My "meagre" AMD/AMD rig gets at least double the performance of yours, because I have realistic expectations of what FSX can handle. The fastest Intel overclocked to the point of melting its poor silicon together with a tweaked fsx.cfg is not going to improve the fact the underlying quality of code is junk.

Best regards,

Robin.

OK...thank you for all your tips and advice I'll start adjusting things one at a time and see how I go furthermore, I'll also look into a Nvida swap out for Christmas.  Once again thank you I do appreciate the replies.

Cheers Pablo

System: ASUS P8P67 PRO Motherboard B3 | Intel Core i7 3770K 3500GHz | 2 x ATI Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB (Cayman Pro) Crossfire | G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL10-8GBXL 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1600 | Microsoft Windows 7 Pro

Regards - Pablo

OK...thank you for all your tips and advice I'll start adjusting things one at a time and see how I go furthermore, I'll also look into a Nvida swap out for Christmas.  Once again thank you I do appreciate the replies.

Cheers Pablo

Do you fly in DX9 or DX10 mode?

If DX9, dual GPU solutions are known to have problems in FSX with most plane's VCs. You may want to try DX10 or simply use a single GPU.

You have to be careful with AA settings at that resolution. What CCC settings are you running?

Also, as already mentioned, overclock your CPU 

Hello,

I fly DX9 because I've read that DX10 is yet another can of worms that will add nothing but problems.

I'll try DX10 later to see if it makes a differance or even a single GPU setup come to that.

So far out of all the tips and tweaks suggested above overclocking my CPU to 4430.1 MHz (5900.0 MHz Turbo) and getting rid of ForceFullScreenVSync=1 in my FSX.cfg has helped the best so far with smoothness and an average FPS of 24.

Here is my current venetubo cfg...

Current - Venetubo [bufferPools] BufferPools=0 RejectThreshold=131072 [VirtualCopilot] VirtualCopilotActive=0 [sOUND] AmbientUI=0 AmbientUIMusic=FSX01 AmbientUIMusicVolume=-6.000000 PrimaryDevice={48262C7F-01C0-406F-88A8-C280A49FCC66} SOUND=1 SOUND_FADER1=0.500000 SOUND_FADER2=0.500000 SOUND_FADER3=0.500000 SOUND_FADER4=0.500000 SOUND_LOD=1 SOUND_QUALITY=2 UISound=0 VoiceDevice={48262C7F-01C0-406F-88A8-C280A49FCC66} [slewTextInfo.1] AirSpeed=1,5 Altitude=1,3 Heading=1,4 Latitude=1,1 Longitude=1,2 [DISPLAY.Device.AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series.0] Mode=6048x1080x32 Anisotropic=1 [AContain] LabelColor=FFFF0000 LabelDelay=2000 ShowLabelAirline=0 ShowLabelAirlineAndFlightNumber=0 ShowLabelAirspeed=0 ShowLabelAltitude=1 ShowLabelContainerId=0 ShowLabelDistance=0 ShowLabelFlightPlan=0 ShowLabelHeading=0 ShowLabelManufacturer=0 ShowLabelModel=1 ShowLabelTailNumber=1 ShowLabels=1 ShowUserLabel=0 [ATC] AutoOpenAirTrafficWindow=0 COMM_MSG_AI_ATC_COLOR=FFFF7840 COMM_MSG_ATC_AI_COLOR=FF00FF00 COMM_MSG_ATC_USER_COLOR=FFB6FFB6 COMM_MSG_NONE_COLOR=FFFFFFFF COMM_MSG_USER_ATC_COLOR=FFFFD21B PilotVoice=458752 ShowATCText=0 UsePilotVoice=0 [TextInfo.1] AirSpeed=1,5 Altitude=1,3 Heading=1,4 Latitude=1,1 Longitude=1,2 WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6 [AccelerationPack] ControlsFirstRun=0 HomePageFirstRun=0 [iNTERNATIONAL] ASLAT=3 ASLON=0 MEASURE=0 [CONTROLS] Controls_Current=Standard Controls_Default=Standard JOYSTICKS=0 KBDAIL=0 KBDELEV=0 KBDRUD=0 [FACILITIES] CITY=0 COUNTRY=0 GTL_BUTTON=4096 STATE=0 [TextInfo.3] AirSpeed=1,5 Altitude=1,3 FrameRate=2,1 FuelPercentage=2,4 GForce=2,3 Heading=1,4 Latitude=1,1 LockedFrameRate=2,2 Longitude=1,2 WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6 [PointOfInterestSystem] CycleSetting=2 [GRAPHICS] AC_SELF_SHADOW=0 AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1 AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=0 ALLOW_SHADER_30=1 COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1 D3D10=0 EFFECTS_QUALITY=2 ForceWindowedVSync=1 GROUND_SHADOWS=0 HIGHMEMFIX=1 IMAGE_QUALITY=0 LANDING_LIGHTS=1 NUM_LIGHTS=8 See_Self=1 TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024 TEXTURE_QUALITY=3 Text_Scroll=0 SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693500672 SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693500672 [TrafficManager] AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=2 AirlineDensity=50 FreewayDensity=5 GADensity=50 IFROnly=0 LeisureBoatsDensity=5 ShipsAndFerriesDensity=5 [DynamicHeadMovement] HeadMoveTimeConstant=0 LonAccelOnHeadLon=0 LonAccelOnHeadPitch=0 MaxHeadAngle=0 MaxHeadOffset=0 RollAccelOnHeadLat=0 RollAccelOnHeadRoll=0 YawAccelOnHeadLat=0 [REALISM] AllowEngineDamage=False AutoCoord=False AutoTrim=False CrashDetection=True CrashTolerance=1.000000 CrashWithDyn=True GEffect=False General=1.000000 GyroDrift=False GyroEffect=1.000000 ManualLights=True PFactor=1.000000 RealMixture=True StressDamage=True Torque=1.000000 TrueAirspeed=False UnlimitedFuel=False [Weather] AdjustForMagVarInDialog=1 CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=8 CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=3 DETAILED_CLOUDS=1 DisableTurbulence=1 DownloadWindsAloft=0 DynamicWeather=0 MaxGustRampSpeed=200 MaxGustTime=500 MaxVarRampSpeed=75 MaxVarTime=50 MinGustRampSpeed=1 MinGustTime=10 MinVarRampSpeed=10 MinVarTime=5 THERMAL_VISUALS=1 TurbulenceScale=0.500000 WeatherGraphDataInDialog=0 WeatherServerAddress=fs2k.zone.com WeatherServerPort=80 WindshieldPrecipitationEffects=1 [Misc] Com_Rate=7 [Main] HideInfoText=1 HideMenuFullscreen=1 HideMenuNormal=0 Location=1892,16,3774,1064,\\.\DISPLAY1 Maximized=0 SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter ProcSpeed=18042 PerfBucket=7 [Trusted] C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\737-400.DLL.llbwzzzbqwqblkibazaqlnwwtnaaahkuewzihehc=2 C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\GCAS.GAU.qwaqonqirwbrrconwwtlanbrbbniwrorwqeecchi=2 C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\PMDG_737NGX.DLL.iwzzrnuilciahliukzchrubzbctcwuribozziakr=2 C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\PMDG_737NGX_3.DLL.nzrqhicrtkcuhcunzublqihblzniqrbicqqnheik=2 C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\XGauge.DLL.wecruqcniohrracqrauiutekrrlatcqwlulaqzzw=2 C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.dll.tuuunuwrochlocuotbinbouekaazanhelccthnke=1 C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\PMDG\DLLs\PMDG_HUD_interface.dll.ketcqrtcaehbhnozarhehqwcbaznkhouoaqaqoca=1 C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\RAASPRO\RAASPRO.dll.iloihkclcreckkrotuukttalzuncqzqeertiihnc=1 C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\bglmanx.dll.ekkiribnaiqiahhwbqlotwnzotetqriozlkrrizl=1 C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsdreamteam\couatl\couatl.exe.kcnieeoqahuabuhzttllkenluettakkhbkclewlz=1 C:\Program Files (x86)\EZCA\EZCA.exe.tnaahocohrbnewibwzltheqlzwqnziztuezwclle=1 C:\Program Files (x86)\Heli Traffic 2009\HeliTraffic2009.dll.riwczuctlhuhiiwtkbrenrwrtluttqitruqltutb=1 C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Cessna.DLL.huqiqiiiuchwewuzcrkucwkekkltlthlatnncinz=2 C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Cessna172.DLL.ukaururiubuwranquuqicnhwilnzrqanquiewauo=2 C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Cessna182s.DLL.lroewcohcbubkccboznbweerlrzibobunhnaqotw=2 C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\CessnaWAlpha.DLL.cucoqkwezhhnbwilzzwzntzawbtbeloaeqbirnct=2 C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Bendix_King_Radio.DLL.ebkqkbutrkkouwqwohwcatazqltelzbnwnebzeac=2 C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Bell_206B.DLL.rkrbbwwwazirkbhozanbqtewhizuihwwtecnewrw=2 [TextInfo.2] FrameRate=1,1 FuelPercentage=1,4 GForce=1,3 LockedFrameRate=1,2 [uSERINTERFACE] Map_Orientation=2 OpenATCOnCreate=0 PAUSE_ON_LOST_FOCUS=0 PROMPT_ON_EXIT=0 PageID=6 SHOW_MISSION_CAPTIONS=0 SITUATION=C:\Users\PMC\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\YMML - Cessna Skyhawk 172SP SelectAircraftManufacturer=All SelectAircraftPublisher=All SelectAircraftType=All ShowAllACPaintSchemes=1 [sIM] SYSCLOCK=0 [Display] ActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=0,28,140,64 ActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255 BLOOM_EFFECTS=0 ChangeTime=1.000000 InfoBrakesEnable=False InfoLowerLeftBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128 InfoLowerLeftTextColor=255,255,255 InfoLowerRightBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128 InfoLowerRightTextColor=255,255,255 InfoOverspeedEnable=False InfoParkingBrakesEnable=False InfoPauseEnable=True InfoSlewEnable=True InfoStallEnable=False InfoUpperRightBackGroundColor=0,0,0,0 InfoUpperRightTextColor=255,0,0 NonActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=24,33,87,64 NonActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255 RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=0.25 RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=0.25 RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=0.25 RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=0.25 SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1 TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40 TextureMaxLoad=30 TransitionTime=1.000000 UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=0 WideViewAspect=True [JOBSCHEDULER] AffinityMask=84 [slewTextInfo.3] AirSpeed=1,5 Altitude=1,3 FrameRate=2,1 Heading=1,4 Latitude=1,1 LockedFrameRate=2,2 Longitude=1,2 [PANELS] DEFAULT_VIEW=0 IMAGE_QUALITY=1 PANEL_MASKING=1 PANEL_OPACITY=100 PANEL_STRETCHING=1 QUICKTIPS=0 UNITS_OF_MEASURE=0 [sTARTUP] DEMO=0 LoadWindow=1 SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN=0 STARTUP_DEMO=0 [slewTextInfo.2] FrameRate=1,1 LockedFrameRate=1,2 [TERRAIN] AUTOGEN_DENSITY=3 DETAIL_TEXTURE=1 LOD_RADIUS=6.500000 MESH_COMPLEXITY=100 MESH_RESOLUTION=23 SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=2 TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29 WATER_EFFECTS=4 [sCENERY] DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1 IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5 LENSFLARE=0 MAX_ASYNC_BATCHING_JOBS=2 SmallPartRejectRadius=4.0 [MULTIPLAYER] condAccoutPassword=0

With regards to CCC I use nothing but default settings as online tweaking suggestions just create stuttering when in my PMDG 737.

OK - I'll try the DX10 and single GPU and let you know what happens..!

Thanks Pablo

System: ASUS P8P67 PRO Motherboard B3 | Intel Core i7 3770K 3500GHz | 2 x ATI Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB (Cayman Pro) Crossfire | G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL10-8GBXL 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1600 | Microsoft Windows 7 Pro

Regards - Pablo

Just tried out DX10 and a single GPU...it's not for me I'm afraid and little if any difference in smoothness overall.  One thing though I put ForceFullScreenVSync=1 back into the Graphics section of my FSX.cfg and with DX9, CPU and GPU (crossfire) overclocked I achieved the best result so far with smoothness and an average FPS of 27.  I'm happy with that so I'm off to fly from YMML to YSCB!

Thanks for all the help everyone...much appreciated!

Pablo

Regards - Pablo