Sign in to follow this  
flyaway

Do I really need HIGHMEMFIX?

If anyone knows a way to run multiple monitors off the one card with full screen let me know

I may be misunderstanding the question, so apologies if so, but I had nothing but freezes using two monitors. Eventually I noticed that my fsx.cfg was missing info for my second monitor (I think it was the line: Mode=1680x1050x32) which when reinstated stopped the sim hanging when switching between windowed and full screen. As I say, may be of no help to you whatsoever but it sure as hell helped me!

Tristan

I also get better FPS using windowed as opposed to full-screen as well (for some odd reason).

Interesting. My fps srop by nearly half when in windowed mode.  I use ALT ENTER to go windowed and then do what ever I need to do outside FSX then ALT ENTER again to return full screen when I'm done. 

If I do happen to accidently leave FSX while in fullscreen I have to go to task manager and select "switch to" on FSX to not have a black screen. I do not run ENB or similar. 

shade is a good, bugg-free alternative to ENB and SweetFX with no FPS impact http://secure.simmarket.com/mogwaisoft-shade.phtml

The only problem is that Shade is nothing like ENB or SweetFX... ^_^ I don't really understand why people keep on posting about Shade when there is talk about ENB or SweetFX! ENB and SweetFS change things that are related to the GPU/hardware: bloom, contrast, gamma, saturation and those kind of things. Both addons have NOTHING to do with FSX itself. Shade on the other hand changes the way the shadows work within FSX. ENB and SweetFX cannot do what Shade does and Shade certainly can not do what ENB and SweetFX can do. Calling Shade an alternative for ENB and SweetFX is the same as calling REX an alternative for nVidia Inspector. :P

The only problem is that Shade is nothing like ENB or SweetFX... ^_^ I don't really understand why people keep on posting about Shade when there is talk about ENB or SweetFX!

That's true  :lol:

I mentioned shade becouse i thought that is ther same category, and is trouble - free. 

ENB and SweetFX are simpler to use and both looks better, but seems to have some fps impact and may induce some instability with FSX.

But you have right, i just asked google and shade is about colors, not rendering, AA, gamma etc...  :wacko:

The only problem is that Shade is nothing like ENB or SweetFX... ^_^ I don't really understand why people keep on posting about Shade when there is talk about ENB or SweetFX! ENB and SweetFS change things that are related to the GPU/hardware: bloom, contrast, gamma, saturation and those kind of things. Both addons have NOTHING to do with FSX itself. Shade on the other hand changes the way the shadows work within FSX. ENB and SweetFX cannot do what Shade does and Shade certainly can not do what ENB and SweetFX can do. Calling Shade an alternative for ENB and SweetFX is the same as calling REX an alternative for nVidia Inspector. :P

+1

Dirk

For those using windowed mode you may want to try using pseudo full screen available in the Avsim library (pseudo_full_screen.zip by Maarten Boelens). Gives a full screen look with the windowed performance.

Works great for me!

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

For those using windowed mode you may want to try using pseudo full screen available in the Avsim library (pseudo_full_screen.zip by Maarten Boelens). Gives a full screen look with the windowed performance.

Works great for me!

Thanks for the heads-up. Trying now, it works very well!

Does anyone have an idea that when I have graphical anomalies (fsdreamteam airports appear vertically on approach, other planes with jumbled parts, etc.) why going into windowed mode fixes things? I never had these issues with xp and my gtx570 but do now with w7 and a gtx660. I can't stand windowed mode, I've got a 27" monitor and love it

when things look right, but something is causing these annoying issues...

Does anyone have an idea that when I have graphical anomalies (fsdreamteam airports appear vertically on approach, other planes with jumbled parts, etc.) why going into windowed mode fixes things? I never had these issues with xp and my gtx570 but do now with w7 and a gtx660. I can't stand windowed mode, I've got a 27" monitor and love it

when things look right, but something is causing these annoying issues...

If you use windowed mode, with the above script from the file library, it looks exactly like full-screen.

If you use windowed mode, with the above script from the file library, it looks exactly like full-screen.

That's ok I guess but I would sure like to find out why fullscreen with my current set up is so unstable at times. I do use highmemfix, tuned windows per NickN's guide, i keep thinking I made a mistake when my 570 died and I went with the 660. I do run FSX (1920x1080x32) at a different resolution from my windows desktop (1680x1050), could that be the cause? I don't have the bufferpools entry either... 

+1 for the utility that makes windowed mode look like full screen. It has completely changed my flight sim experience since I can now use other programs on a second screen (the bars used to annoy me). It is a bit fickle, though, if I try to run it after FSX is already loaded. Works much better for me (windows 8) if I run it before FSX (it auto starts FSX if it is in the FSX directory). For anyone using the program with windows 8 and need to load it after FSX because of programs like Air Hauler or Ideal Flight, I've found that you first need to click the maximize window button once FSX is up and the plane is ready, then run the program in admin mode from a link pinned to the task bar, then click on the screen. That works about half the time. If it doesn't on first try, hit alt enter twice and try again (sometimes it takes away the top bar but not the task bar and needs a second try). Maybe someone else knows a better way. This might just be a windows 8 issue in any case.

Just realized I'm using another program for the full screen conversion and not pseudo_full_screen. I can't seem to find it on AVSIM at the moment. It isn't a hot key and doesn't need auto hide to be on for the task bar to disappear. That is the program I was referring to.

I do run FSX (1920x1080x32) at a different resolution from my windows desktop (1680x1050), could that be the cause?

I would suspect so. When running FS in Windowed mode your resolution setting is ignored.

Simple enough to test.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Works great for me!

What a fantastic contribution Maarten is making to this community. Wonderful stuff.