HI all

I need some serious advice for a new computer.   I am going to get a new computer however I am lost on what I should get.

All I am going to have on this new system is FSX Deluxe gold addition running the PMDG queen, 777 and the new Aerosoft EGLL

scenery and that is it.   I never have a chance to fly a lot, Lucky if I get 1 flight a week in so I don't need the super duper machine I am

sure some here run.   Also the new build idea is not happening, I have not got the real time or the computer smarts to do it and a lot of the things I read on this forum regarding gaming computers is like a foreign language to me  (yes I am a certified computer moron).

So I would love if people out there would give me advice on what to get.

all I really want is a great sim experience when I fly and the computer to last at least 4 years or more.

I don't plan on getting anything else for the sim, in my limited flying per month I am happy with the default scenery and traffic

as well as the weather.

I want to thank all of you in advance for any of the advice.   I figure you folks are the serious simmers so you would know what would fit me.

Ian Snow

HI all

I am looking between 1,000 to 2,000 depending on the bills in the next few months

13ifs40

Here is what I would recommend:

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($279.99 @ Microcenter) 
CPU Cooler:  Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard:  Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($177.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory:  Kingston Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($58.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage:  Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($94.99 @ NCIX US) 
Storage:  Corsair Force Series GS 360GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($292.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card:  MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card  ($399.99 @ Amazon) 
Case:  NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply:  Corsair CX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply  ($74.99 @ Microcenter) 
Optical Drive:  LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer  ($15.99 @ Microcenter) 
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ Outlet PC) 
Total: $1675.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-02 10:50 EDT-0400)

I can explain any part choices if you have any questions. Also, if you do not like the idea of building your own computer, take the parts to your local computer store, and have them build it and over clock it.

You might want to get the Phantom 820, as I don't believe the h100i will fit in it. Many people can't get it in. Other than that, the above comment is perfect and I want it ;) btw I have the Phantom 410 and h80i and it was tricky to put in. If you're having someone else build it such as cyberpowerpc then by all means use the phantom 410 and h100i. Be sure to have it overclocked too. Fs loves the clock speeds and strong cores. Hyper threading will not help at all for fs

Alex Brinson

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "PMDG General Forum" to "MOBO, RAM, CPU's & Other Hardware". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

good morning

ok thanks for that great list.      I will run this by the finance department (my wife) and see what I can do

13ifs40

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Microcenter)

Submit that you should instead look at the i5 4770K, an over-clockable non-hyper threading CPU.  FSX makes no use of HT.

spacer.png

Submit that you should instead look at the i5 4770K, an over-clockable non-hyper threading CPU.  FSX makes no use of HT.

Sometimes the i7 clocks higher, and if you have a microcenter near by, why not. The 4670k or non k is great with a limited budget, or if you are not going to over clock.

HI

I hate to ask this a sound dumb

but can I get a translation on some things

what is over clocking?

and what is a ht you talk about?

also does a normal computer you would just buy come with the storage things that is talked about?

and how would I know it if it bit me?

also     what is the hyper threading thing?

thanks all

Ian Snow

Overclocking is the process of altering the clock speed in the processor. With overclocking you can go from 3.4 Ghz to 4.4Ghz, significantly improving performance. The downside to overclocking is the heat generated, which is why you need a cpu cooler. You could easily bring your computer to your local computer shop, and have them set up the overclock for you. You cannot overclock a computer from a big brand name like Dell or HP. You have to get a computer custom built from someone like cyberpowerpc, or build it yourself. You also need to have a processor with a k on the end of its name.

Hyperthreading or (HT) is a process that some of the higher end intel processors have. It allows the processor to split up tasks more efficiently. The downside is that very few programs make use of it. FSX does not use it, but programs like photoshop do. 

The hard drives in the build above, are all Solid State Drives. Most computers still have regular spinning drives which are slower, but cheaper. Some computers come with solid state drives, but very few do.

HI

Ok so that I understand this       when you overclock a computer you are heating up the insides, hence you need a powerful cooler or you are

looking at a melt down.    Is this also the reason I need a huge power supply like that 750 watt thing?

Also I always thought water was bad for electronics/     are there some danger with a water cooled thing?

now to answer a wife question

what makes this different then a dell or hp or a gateway

she is concerned I mite build this and blow up the office by accident

thanks again for all this info      it is an education for sure

Overclocking does use more power, but the 750w was for the beast of a video card that the GTX 770 is. Water cooling can be dangerous for the components if done cheaply or incorrectly. The Corsair water cooler comes with a great warranty, and if the cooler leaks due to a manufacturing error, corsair will replace the computer. This computer will be more powerful in the areas that count for flightsim, and will have the option for overclocking. Dell, HP, etc., do not allow for overclocking, and are optimized for work stations. There is not much of a chance of things catching fire or blowing up, but I guess it could happen. There is a far greater chance that a wiring fault in your house will cause something to explode, over the computer.