HI

thanks again for all your advice and help.    With a system like this do I need a good power strip?

or am I looking at something else to plug into it?

what happens in a power outage or electric surge?

also    I have a old Gateway case in the house

is that something that I can use?

thanks again

Ian Snow

what happens in a power outage or electric surge?

You will want to get a good surge protecter for all of you electronics. 

I have a old Gateway case in the house
is that something that I can use?

You could, but it might work or it might not. It all depends on how Gateway designed the computer. If it uses standard motherboard sizes you will be fine, if it does not, then there is a problem.

Hi

ok I guess that is all the questions I have

thank you so much for your help and advise

I will now present my ideas to the finance department and hope for the best

Ian Snow

The list above is pretty much for a very high end computer.

I have a few suggestions for alterations.

Nr1. The list has 2 separate SSDs. You only need one. It's a very common misunderstanding that you need separate drives for FSX and Windows. This is still true for regular harddisks but with an SSD you can have both FSX and Windows on the same drive no problem. Size vise around 256GB would do you fine. A 128GB might even be doable given that you said you will use standard scenery. It all depends on what other programs you plan on using. Also get a regular harddrive to keep all your photos/movies/music/'insert whatever you want' on.

Nr2. RAM. Get faster than 1600MHz RAM. You can get faster RAM for the same or very little extra money today. FSX is one of few programs that actually makes use of faster RAM. More than 8GB won't help in FSX.

Nr3. CPU. The i7 4770K will be slightly faster than the other option, the i5 4670K. But the i5 is a lot cheaper. Worth remembering when deciding if to get the i7 or not, is that I'd does have hyperthreading an that can (yes can, completely opposite to what most people say) be made to good use in FSX to load photo scenery ground textures quickly. So probably not applicable to your own use case scenario. Hyperthreading won't however give you higher FPS.

Good luck at the finance department=)

I've been researching this quite a bit and have come up with four levels of PCs for a build.  Feel free to mix and match ... the link on the left under "Component" is a link to the Newegg product page ... the link under "Mfg. Part Number" takes you to the manufacturer's product page. 

I don't much like the Basic build ... I like the Gamer XLS OC as I tear out all of the case's 120mm fans and replace them with Noctura fans ... this is a $130 cost that you do not have to endure if you don't want to).

Gamer Basic

Gamer XLS OC (Personal favorite)

Gamer Maximus

Gamer Collosus

Hope this helps ... if you don't want to build your own I'll be more than happy to do it for you ... if you live in the Continental US.  The end result features a fully patched installation of Windows, updated BIOS, Professional Wiring, Performance Testing, Burn-in, stick by stick memory testing using MemTest86, Overclocking to desired amount w/ 24 hour stress test with AIDA64 (within reason) Windows Activation, Antivirus Installation, Driver Updates and last but not least ... MSFX installation and Optimization (extra).

When I bought my rig from CyberPowerPC I spent $2,200 (including shipping) for a PC that wasn't even close to the quality of these.  I also had to update the BIOS, patch Windows (over 130 Updates that if not applied properly and in the right order  ... fail).

All components are of the highest quality ASUS, Corsair, SeaSonic, Intel, Western Digital Black, BitFenix or CoolerMaster.

C. T.

The i7 4770K will be slightly faster than the other option, the i5 4670K

Jury's still out on that one :) Based on FSMark11 results, it falls within the error margin

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApeEiOXGIvXidG9rNUdkSi13a09fb0JPQU5CektEelE#gid=0

I would definitely like to see a larger sample in your clock for clock test (sorry I couldn't be of much help there, not sure what was skewing my scores)

hi all

ok I got a major question

how do I know if a computer comes with a solid state drive?

do I ask for it or will I see it in the specs?

would it be in a dell or an hp?

or will I only get it in a computer built by a specialty place?

thanks

Ian Snow

how do I know if a computer comes with a solid state drive?

They would normally put it into big font and try to advertise it, since it is a major selling point for some computers. SSD's mainly though can only be found in most custom gaming builds, by companies like cyberpowerpc.

HI  snowingairlines

got a question on the rig you listed

which is the hard drive on your list

here is the list you gave me

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($279.99 @ Microcenter) 
CPU Cooler:  Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard:  Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($177.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory:  Kingston Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($58.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage:  Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($94.99 @ NCIX US) 
Storage:  Corsair Force Series GS 360GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($292.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card:  MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card  ($399.99 @ Amazon) 
Case:  NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply:  Corsair CX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply  ($74.99 @ Microcenter) 
Optical Drive:  LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer  ($15.99 @ Microcenter) 
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ Outlet PC) 

just a little lost on the hard drive area

thanks again

Ian Snow

The smaller SSD was what I thought that you could use as the main drive. The larger SSD would be for fsx, and all related files.

good morning

ok so the build from scratch thing was canceled

so I am trying a company called Cyperpowerpc

they have a 4000 brand that looks like what you described in the list you gave me

what exactly will give me the best FSX performance

the hard drive?

memory?

NVidia drive?

solid state drive?

or the op system?

thanks again for all your help

Ian Snow

Make sure you upgrade the Mobo and most importantly the PSU.  The default PSUs they use are of zero quality and cause everything from RMAs to fried components.  Take a day to read through their forums and you'll see what I mean.  The best PSUs are Corsair, Seasonic and PC Power and Light.  I believe they'll only offer you Corsair.  A good one for the 4000 is the 860 watt - Corsair AX860 860W 80 PLUS PLATINUM certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply.  A more affordable one is the 850 Watt Corsair Enthusiast series tX850 V2 850W 80 PLUS BRONZE.

Also make sure you do not get anything like engraving.  If you engrave the case you cannot take advantage of the 30-day return policy.

Do not get any of the "free" software bundles offered.  If you do, and you return the PC for any reason, they'll charge you $19.99 for each one you wanted.

If you get anything special like additional packaging, professional wiring, etc ... that too cannot be refunded.

Notice that he 3 year warranty is parts only ... labor expires after 1 year.  Do not forget to take into account shipping.  I live in NC so it took $118 to send the PC back ...

More than 8GB of RAM does not help much with FSX.

Stay with Windows 7

The most important part you left out ... the 4000 comes with an i7 4770k so go with Extreme Overclocking (20% or more) ... this will get you a 4.2GHz machine for only [+49].  Make sure all of your chosen components are OC Certified.

SSDs are the bomb ... I noticed a huge difference in loading times.

NVidia cards are the only pony in the show ... according to NickN

Good luck.

Thanks for your Help CTBlankenship

couple of questions

what is the MOBO?

and what is a RMA?

thanks again

Ian SNow

hi

also what digital storm do you own

I am looking at them and I am interested but don't want to break the bank

thanks

Ian Snow

Mobo stands for motherboard.

RMA is Reterun Merchandise Authorization ... you need one before you return something to just about any company.

I don't own a Digital Storm computer ... I built my own (see the Gamer Maximus in my signature to view the components).  The only thing different is that I have the MAXIMUS VI HERO motherboard not the Formula ... which just has to be the coolest looking motherboard I have ever seen.

How much do you have in your bank <s>?

CT

PS:  I took a maiden flight today from KFLL to KTPA ... the new rig purred along like a kitten ... smooth as glass.  Much better than my old Wolfdale 3.0GHz PC.