This message is for those considering purchasing a Precision Flight Control product.  I know that many have had good experiences with this company, I unfortunately have been nothing but frustrated with their poor craftsmanship. 

I purchased a $875 PFC cirrus jetliner yoke w/hall sensors in April of 2012.  In April 2013 one of the buttons on the yoke quit working and the yoke made a persistent popping noise whenever I moved it left and right. After paying $35 for return shipping the yoke was sent off on 16 April, nearly a month and a half later (23 May) I received my yoke back. The button turned out to be a broken wire inside the case which was pressing against the back of it.  As for the popping noise I am uncertain as to what the fix was.  Immediately upon calibrating I heard a snap and watched as the cross-hair on the calibration screen went immediately to the bottom of the box.  I opened the case and sure enough a wire from the potentiometer had been incorrectly installed from the first repair and had broken from the connector.  I called PFC, and they agreed to have UPS pick it up to be sent back for round 2 of repairs on 29 May.  Once again nearly a month later (24 June) my yoke was returned to me.  I noticed that the wires inside were now zip-tied to the bottom so that they could no longer get caught and break .  Problem resolved right?  Sort of.  I noticed a popping noise whenever I moved the yoke left and right during calibration.  Each time the yoke would pop the cross-hair on the calibration screen would move slightly to the right and cause the yoke to be out of calibration.  I could recalibrate but every so often the yoke would pop again forcing me to pause fsx and recalibrate.  Finally tonight the yoke decided to give up on me, I can no longer re-calibrate the yoke, something inside has completely failed once again.  I have sent yet another angry message to PFC support for repair #3. 

At this point I will never buy another product from PFC.  As a customer who has now spent $910 in purchase and repair shipping, the quality I am receiving in return is completely unacceptable in my opinion.  It has now been nearly four months since I have been able to use this product.  I should be up and running again by Christmas...ha.  As a consumer I feel nearly helpless as they continually send me poorly manufactured and repaired products.

A kind warning before anyone considers paying a large amount of money for a PFC product.  Research all of your options before making a decision. 

Brian Riggs

PPL 2001

I had a similar experience. In my case it was a rocker switch that quit working on my Jetliner Yoke. They sent me a replacement, and when I popped the old switch out, it was the extremely poor solder job, not the switch that was the culprit. When I confronted them on the issue, they admitted having high school students, who were part of a regional occupation program (ROP) do the soldering. The Cirrus pedals I bought at the same time were problematic as well, and required constant adjustment.  I ended up selling it all about a year after they switched from game port to USB interfaces. Conversations with them regarding an interface upgrade were frustrating and futile. This was over 8 years ago though, so I'm not sure what their manufacturing practice is these days. The past few months I've emailed them several times regarding the beech yoke/clock, specifically what the current turn around time with hall sensors is. I've yet to hear from them. Thanks for the heads up, I think I'm gonna pass, sounds like ROP might be back in the picture, and customer service nil. I'm really sorry you had/having to go through this too. :sorry:

Chris Strobel KSNA

original.jpg

I am very sorry to read these postings.  I bought their Single Professional Console about 12 years ago and have been very pleased with it. The product is high quality, but has some flimsy elements - mostly in soldered areas.  My solution to faults that have occurred over the years is  - do it myself.  My latest solder repair was to the Cirrus rudder pedals.  They have supplied necessary component replacements from time to time.

I have long since stopped buying from them as their freight charges can almost double the price of a component.  Why?!  It is sad to see a good company slipping like this.

Regards

Frank Jones

Hmm.. food for thought I guess.  I've recently been on the fence in deciding what yoke I want to purchase; looking to upgrade from my Saitek.  PFC was high on the list, was very interested in the Beech yoke.  The lack of a hat switch on the yoke had already given me pause, now I read about workmanship issues... yikes!

I'd look at the Go-Flight yoke, but I didn't really want an airliner style yoke.  No idea what to do now.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Jimmy...I really enjoy the PFC yoke when it is working.  I'm to the point now though that every time I move the yoke to extremes or push any button I'm afraid something is going to break.  I got a reply back stating that they will have UPS pick it up once again and will perform a 100% inspection of the yoke.  I wish they would just send me a replacement at this juncture.

Go-Flight looks interesting, the $750 price tag for their 737 yoke seems a bit steep, one could buy a thrustmaster warthog hotas for $430!  I have a TQ-6, which was sent back for repairs a few years ago, the wire on one of the thrust reversers broke.  Got it back and now three of the four reversers are inop due to broken wires.  I just the use the throttle, flaps, and spoiler levers now.

Brian Riggs

PPL 2001

That's pretty shocking quality control for a company that probably doesn't have yokes flooding out the door at that price range.

Glad I heard about this have to look elsewhere now anyone have a goflight yoke.? Or recommend a good 737 one? I'm into tube flying ngx and T777 when it's released. Thanks Wayne.

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

Be nice if someone's used the to flight one or a review could be found? I haven't seen one anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

I've used the airliner yoke for 6 years now and works flawlessly once calibrated.  Although I can understand the original poster's concern or paying $1K for a product that doesn't work, the judgement to buy one product over another based on customer support is not always cut and dried.  Six years ago there were few choices in the quality, and I stand firm on the quality.  The components are quite ofter the same in the industry, however the labor to assemble is always an issue to be aware of.  Just read any forum on user assembly of purpose built cockpits.  Everyone has a different perspective.  I will always take the professional look and feel over the gaming or non-aircraft specific products.  They array is getting better for the consumer, but as with everything we have to be willing to work around issues on our own.

Update for those interested...I called PFC on 6 September to request the repair status, they said it was finished and would be shipped out in a day or two.  The yoke never shipped so I called again on 26 September and they said that it would be shipped out that day.  I just received the yoke today (2 October), plugged it back in, let the drivers load and the device initialize.  I then went to calibrate it and the calibration cross hairs wouldn't move at all.  Neither would the throttle axis.  I checked all the buttons, which are now sticking and binding and only six out of the twelve buttons respond. I assume the logic board is bad. 

So another unanswered phone call to tech support made and e-mail sent for support.

I am an extremely angry customer and I have no idea what to do at this point, $800+ down the drain.  I don't want to send this yoke back for the fourth time, I have no confidence whatsoever in PFC.  This has been going on for the past six months now with no resolution, only a product that gets worse every time they touch it.

Brian Riggs

PPL 2001