Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

MegaSceneryEarth's Announcement

Just got an e-mail from MSE HQ and the CEO advised the lower 48 is almost done with just Washington (being released on 6 Aug) and California (being released sometime in late August) are the only two left in the lower 48.   They go on to say "then there's going to be some exciting new announcements and releases."  They hint that their aim is to "truly make this product line MegaSceneryEarth."  I think this means they'll be publishing Alaska and Hawaii and many countries around the world.  I hope they start with Canada.  I'm interested in hearing other guesses as to the next product line after MSE V2 USA.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Remind me. Have they said when the night lighting modules would be released? I hope they don't try to make it through the remaining 195 (?) countries before moving on to night lighting.

All get Western Canada like BC, MB, SK , YT then Alaska to connect. Make vfr Minnesota to Alaska runs in fsx having western Canada would help. Night textures be nice be nice to have, but hope corrections are made on certain areas with time,

OK help me out here please.

I haven't paid any attention to this product but as a result of you announcment I just went to their website.

Correct me if I'm wrong...its just photo scenery with no autogen or annotation, correct?  I can't see anything that says there are objects available.

Also, it's like really, really, really expensive...ie Washington State is $150...for one state?  Or is there something I'm missing here.  And you can buy a little dinky square for some price like $7-10 bucks.  And its daytime, summer only set of aerial photo real scenery?

So...how does this compare to donation ware Blue Sky?

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I haven't paid any attention to this product but as a result of you announcment I just went to their website.

Correct me if I'm wrong...its just photo scenery with no autogen or annotation, correct? I can't see anything that says there are objects available.

- Correct. There is no autogen.

Also, it's like really, really, really expensive...ie Washington State is $150...for one state? Or is there something I'm missing here.  And you can buy a little dinky square for some price like $7-10 bucks.  And its daytime, summer only set of aerial photo real scenery?

- As far as I know, it's not that expensive per state and you can't buy small areas but haven't checked the website lately. And, yes, just summer.

Edit - I take that back...it looks like you can just buy the individual "squares" of a state. So, maybe that does make Washington like $150. That does seem expensive!

- It's basically the same I think.

And, yet another edit to what I just posted...I think the prices per "square" you're seeing for CA and WA are because they aren't converted to version two yet. When they are, you should be able to buy the whole state for one much lower price than what we are figuring here. For example, Wyoming is $40 and that is probably bigger than Washington in terms of square miles. So, I'd expect WA to be equal or less than that.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Correct me if I'm wrong...its just photo scenery with no autogen or annotation, correct?  I can't see anything that says there are objects available.

Also, it's like really, really, really expensive...ie Washington State is $150...for one state?  Or is there something I'm missing here.  And you can buy a little dinky square for some price like $7-10 bucks.  And its daytime, summer only set of aerial photo real scenery?

You do not need autogen.  In fact that's what makes it so great (for me at least).  You can turn off Autogen saving invaluable fps.  The only issue might be the lack of autogen around some default airports.  Commercial airports look great in MSE.  The solution would be to fly from a payware airport to a payware airport destination.  Wash State has not been released so no price for the product has been released yet.  I think the most expensive State so far was Texas as it was divided into 3 separate purchases and case around $110.  I doubt Wash State will be that expensive and most likely around the $40 that many of the other States in the US has cost.  California will probably be divided like Texas and may be just as expensive as Texas if not more.  Most states cost between $30 and $40.  Not sure where you got the $150 unless you went to the wrong website.  There was another payware photoscenery that cost at least that much but it came with a USB or HDD.  From my understanding, they have merged with MSE V2.  The Dinky squares you are talking about is for the original MSE which you can still buy.  I am talking about MegaSceneryEarth Version 2 which is a whole new product.  It only has one season as it would be a massive download to download all four seasons for each State.  

Here's a link to the MegaSceneryEarth Store.  On the left hand side is the list of States available.  When you go to each State, you will see photos and videos of the product.

Best regards,

Jim

hope corrections are made on certain areas with time

I totally agree.  There are some anomalies that need to be fixed and I hope they fix those before venturing to new projects.  I would like to see more and better watermasking too.  Thanks for your comments.

Best regards,

Jim

ave they said when the night lighting modules would be released?

No night lighting but it does use the default night lighting.  I also heard rumors that people who install FTX Global will get the night lighting that comes with that product.  I'm not sure if GEX does that too as GEX does the same as FTX Global in that it replaces all of your default textures.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

OK thanks for the follow-up fellows.  Not sure I want to venture into this although it would be great to switch off the regular + Orbx land and run with photo scenery for certain types of flying.

I would have to come out or retirement to afford this.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I would be interested in seeing photoreal for Canada and Alaska, especially since source data for that area is really bad. While I would like them to revisit each state and add autogen, night maps and seasons, it won't happen because the amount of work involved in that and the increaed cost because of it and as noted earlier, some think what they are getting is already too expensive..

I would love to see the Caribbean done in 30 m/pixel photoreal, that would be something with accurate water masks and HD mesh.

Best, Michael

KDFW

I only have the southern half of the US, and my 1TB Raptor is about full.  I can't imagine what sort of HDD array would be necessary for the entire planet.  And the cost is becoming a factor.  But, I can see that those who live in other parts of the world (Europe) would be very interested in MegaSceneryEurope.  I love MSEv2.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

Western Europe is pretty well covered by Photo Scenery...UK, Irish Republic, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Germany, Switzerland and Spain. Then there are projects partway done...Poland, Italy. Many of these are free.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

I recevied an e-mail message with a notice for imminent release of MS V2 thisTuesday.

I was excited and went and looked at my MS So cal and MS V1 scenery folders and noticed that they have two folders one with a bunch of bgls in folder "scenery" and another folder titled "Texture" containing agn files where I believe are the photo textures.

I was thinking I can use the same bgls containing autogens and leave behind the the textures agn files from V1 and so cal and use the high resolution textures from MS V2

But when I looked at the Texas V2 folder, it only has a folder titled "Scenery" with bgls. it has no "Texture" folder and hence no agn files. Hmmm..so in V2 they have all the photo scenery files as bgls.

What would happen if I bring over the V1 bgl files (that contains only autogens) into the V2 folder "Scenery that has bgls with photo textures..would they jive?

Any ideas?

IF they don't then no way I am losing my autogens and trees in CA.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I heard the Autogen from V1 or from FSX will not work in MSE V2.  Maybe in the future.  Now, if you have MegaSceneryX SoCal, you could place that higher up in the Scenery Library than MSE V2 California and that will trump out that area and the surrounding areas will be MSE V2. 

They are suppose to come up with an announcement on what they plan on doing next as California is the last State in the Continental US.  Maybe Alaska or Hawaii?  I am personally hoping they will fix some of the anomalies found in this latest version before venturing further.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Just photo textures I downloaded the Hawaii ones that was freeware and they are more than adequate..they have some clouds but not much so they are ok.. and Oahu....with all the awesome autogens not sure why this "new" version would add value. I was excited in the beginning assuming the V2 would have better color and resolution and then I could use the autogens from the previous version. But it looks like I can do that... so I am deflated with this.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Megaearth scenery hope its Canada as no vfr photoscenery or Australia.

I agree. But that would mean shelling out even more money. 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM