Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

MegaSceneryEarth's Announcement

I think that MSE2 for the lower 48 will keep this Limey busy for some years to come.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

I just got an email from MegaSceneryEarth that says that they updated the auto-installer so that now it will open the .zip file and install the .exe file.  All automatically!!  What a big help!

Now I'm glad that I have several states that I haven't downloaded yet.  I can try this new tool out.   :smile:

I'm using it now.  I like the fact it does things automatically but I'm seeing if it is faster than the manual method.  It is extracting one setup at a time whereas I was extracting 10 setup programs at a time.  And then, when installing, I was running 5-8 setup programs at a time.  I have a feeling it takes about the same amount of time as there is just no way to speed up the extraction process.  But at least you can start the Install Manager and then go about your business or read and post here on AVSIM.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I heard the Autogen from V1 or from FSX will not work in MSE V2. Maybe in the future. Now, if you have MegaSceneryX SoCal, you could place that higher up in the Scenery Library than MSE V2 California and that will trump out that area and the surrounding areas will be MSE V2.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier... I'm using autogen from the old Colorado v1 areas in v2 Colorado and if there are problems I haven't run into them yet.  v1 autogen isn't the greatest but it does add enough in some areas for me to keep using it.  For the earlier poster, yes I've basically moved the "texture" folder's .agn files from the old MSE v1 folders to a single "texture" folder I created under Colorado v2.

I don't know if a similar strategy will work for MegaSceneryX SoCal, however, as that product's autogen and other interactions are more complex.  As noted in another thread on the California release, I'm awfully happy with what I have in SoCal with MSX SoCal and Blue Sky, but badly want the missing piece that no one's covered yet east of the Salton Sea so any experience anyone has in strategies for combining would be of interest.  As they're all photo, I expect that you're right, Jim.  Keeping MSX SoCal higher in the scenery library will probably be all that's required there, but at the expense of some memory.

Scott

Thanks Scott for the info.  Maybe it will help someone.  Personally I do not like Autogen so leave that setting off.  It's a fps killer but understand those who like it.

I just ran that MegaSceneryEarth Installer tool and it extracts the scenery and dumps the extraction.  I use to extract the scenery, run the setup program, then delete all of the extracted programs to save space.  Now I will have to compress all of the setup programs back to the zipped version.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

Just to clarify, that is the way the MSE Install Manager is designed to run, it extracts the ZIP files and retains the installer EXE files because both the ZIP and the setup EXE are the same size, so there is no space saving if you re-zip the setup files.

Keep in mind the ZIP files are merely containers to facilitate downloading without Internet Explorer/Anti-virus software kicking up a fuss when downloading an EXE file. The ZIP files are not compressed, the compression is applied to the installer EXE files so there is no advantage in keeping the MSE installers hidden within a ZIP archive.

Hope that clears it up.

Fermin Fernandez
FSWidgets & TweakFS Developer
Melbourne, Australia (UTC+10)
FSWidgets  logo.png

To me, if PC Aviator have said they have an announcement which really demonstrates the Earth being in the name, that suggests they are really moving 'out of the box', the box in this case meaning the US, as it's where all of their current scenery has been based.

Hawaii and Alaska would be beautiful! ..... but being US states (and the only real choice they'd have, US-wise, now that the Lower 48 are complete), I wouldn't say that really demonstrates why it's called MSE 'Earth'.

So maybe somewhere in Europe, or maybe Australia? NZ? (there is some great source data for NZ apparantly; it's been used on a freeware XP10 project recently).... maybe somewhere really 'out there' like Iceland?

The world is our Oyster!

MSE V2 USA is it for me.  I did some flying yesterday and there is just too much here to see and do.  I had a nice flight from Las Vegas to KSFO and I had never seen anything more spectacular flying over the Sierra Nevada mountain range and into the Yosemite Valley.  I did another flight from KLAX to Phoenix too and again very impressed with the wing views.  BTW, speaking of Phoenix, as I was entering the glideslope, I noticed a message at the top that Phoenix Sky Harbor airport just went into demo mode.  I don't own the Phoenix Sky Harbor airport and can only assume FlightBeam has a demo in the Addon Manager (I own FlightBeam KIAD)?  I probably will purchase it in any case as I like that takeoff or destination location. 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

It is now a real new feeling with MSE v2 to fly the 32 VFR legs from The American Southwest by Philipp Tiemann (covering California, Nevada and Arizona).

GTX 1660 Ti

I'm using it now.  I like the fact it does things automatically but I'm seeing if it is faster than the manual method.  It is extracting one setup at a time whereas I was extracting 10 setup programs at a time.  And then, when installing, I was running 5-8 setup programs at a time.  I have a feeling it takes about the same amount of time as there is just no way to speed up the extraction process.  But at least you can start the Install Manager and then go about your business or read and post here on AVSIM.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim,

yes it could be done manually possibly faster, but with the Install Manager, it is far less stressful and you can just set it, go make a coffee and watch some TV and come back and it is all done for you, and less chance you might miss an installer and hence have some gaps in the scenery too. :)

Hi Jim,

Just to clarify, that is the way the MSE Install Manager is designed to run, it extracts the ZIP files and retains the installer EXE files because both the ZIP and the setup EXE are the same size, so there is no space saving if you re-zip the setup files.

Keep in mind the ZIP files are merely containers to facilitate downloading without Internet Explorer/Anti-virus software kicking up a fuss when downloading an EXE file. The ZIP files are not compressed, the compression is applied to the installer EXE files so there is no advantage in keeping the MSE installers hidden within a ZIP archive.

Hope that clears it up.

Well said :)

To me, if PC Aviator have said they have an announcement which really demonstrates the Earth being in the name, that suggests they are really moving 'out of the box', the box in this case meaning the US, as it's where all of their current scenery has been based.

Hawaii and Alaska would be beautiful! ..... but being US states (and the only real choice they'd have, US-wise, now that the Lower 48 are complete), I wouldn't say that really demonstrates why it's called MSE 'Earth'.

So maybe somewhere in Europe, or maybe Australia? NZ? (there is some great source data for NZ apparantly; it's been used on a freeware XP10 project recently).... maybe somewhere really 'out there' like Iceland?

The world is our Oyster!

Next up will be MSE2 Hawaii which will include all islands. Beyond that we are not saying as yet, but there will be more :) Naturally, being photoreal scenery we have to have a fairly decent source of imagery availble for any particular country or area to create the texture files. So not every country on earth can be covered in decent photoreal textures, but we have identified a number of countries moving forward which we plan to do, in conjunction with updates to existing MSE2 products as needed.

It is now a real new feeling with MSE v2 to fly the 32 VFR legs from The American Southwest by Philipp Tiemann (covering California, Nevada and Arizona).

Glad to see you are enjoying the new real scenery experience!

Dean
Manager - PC Aviator Australia

Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories

in conjunction with updates to existing MSE2 products as needed.

Ah, this is great news.  I think you'll get more support for the MSE V2 products by fixing some of the anomalies many of us have found. 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Just got an e-mail from MSE HQ and the CEO advised the lower 48 is almost done with just Washington (being released on 6 Aug) and California (being released sometime in late August) are the only two left in the lower 48.   They go on to say "then there's going to be some exciting new announcements and releases."  They hint that their aim is to "truly make this product line MegaSceneryEarth."  I think this means they'll be publishing Alaska and Hawaii and many countries around the world.  I hope they start with Canada.  I'm interested in hearing other guesses as to the next product line after MSE V2 USA.

Best regards,

Jim

I hope they start with Canada too Jim!

Thanks for mentioning that.

Regards,

Daniel

I hope they start with Canada too Jim!

Well, according to their response (in the Answer above), they are doing all of the Hawaiian Islands next and not saying anything beyond that but I cannot believe they do not have Canada on their mind.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Well, according to their response (in the Answer above), they are doing all of the Hawaiian Islands next and not saying anything beyond that but I cannot believe they do not have Canada on their mind.

Best regards,

Jim

Canada must look stunning in photoreal quality....... Now I wonder if it will have seasonal textures?