Sign in to follow this  
JaneRachel

777 first beta impressions

I'd be curious to hear your impression of 'weight' when you're at heavy/max take off weights.

How do you find performance after a 14 hour flight? The "OOM" is obviously a big concern in the community (personally, I've never had one) and blasting a 14 hour flight could cause issues. Do you run any add-on scenery?

You feel the weight, I have done a few 14+ hour flights in the last two weeks. YVR-SYD-YVR, YVR-HKG-YVR, SEA-DXB-SEA and YYZ-HKG-YYZ (via the Polar Route) and those flights have departed with the MTOW averaging 700,000 lbs of cargo and fuel. The 200LR is the hot rod of the 777s, you get really good climb rates even at MTOW. Its a bit unnerving to see the end of the runway approach quickly when you hit your VR (around 170kts give or take a few knots). The 200LR ain't no slouch when it comes to flying and has too much power attached to it.  

Try taking off with 80,000lbs of fuel and no cargo or pax, your climbing out at 6000 fpm with your airspeed still increasing, you will break through flap retraction speeds in a hurry. You need to be on your toes... its fun, like a 757 on double dosage of steroids. I think personally, way more fun than flying a 757.

Cheers,

Jason Brown - Exterior Model Engineer,

http://www.precisionmanuals.com
Posted Image

Specs: MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Intel i7 4970K OC @ 4.6GHz | Gigabyte GTX970 G1 4GB | 16GB (2X8GB) G.Skill Trident | Corsair Air 540 White Case | Corsair AX750 750W PSU | 27" Samsung SyncMaster 275T+ | 27" Samsung S27D850 | 13" Wacom Cintiq | Windows 10 Professional x64

777checklist2_zpsaded3c5c.jpg

Non Normal checklist for an autothrottle failure

777checklist1_zpsd0392f30.jpg

16 categories of non-normal checklist, each menu item spinning off in to further checklists for just about every eventuality.. The checklists are interactive too! responding both to pilot input and onboard sensors which monitor aircraft status

How does one interact with that checklist? Have they made it touch screen? 

You feel the weight, I have done a few 14+ hour flights in the last two weeks. YVR-SYD-YVR, YVR-HKG-YVR, SEA-DXB-SEA and YYZ-HKG-YYZ (via the Polar Route) and those flights have departed with the MTOW averaging 700,000 lbs of cargo and fuel. The 200LR is the hot rod of the 777s, you get really good climb rates even at MTOW. Its a bit unnerving to see the end of the runway approach quickly when you hit your VR (around 170kts give or take a few knots). The 200LR ain't no slouch when it comes to flying and has too much power attached to it.  

Try taking off with 80,000lbs of fuel and no cargo or pax, your climbing out at 6000 fpm with your airspeed still increasing, you will break through flap retraction speeds in a hurry. You need to be on your toes... its fun, like a 757 on double dosage of steroids. I think personally, way more fun than flying a 757.

Cheers,

Cheers, Jason. Appreciate it.

Cheers,

Jason is absolutely right, you fly this plane and you think you have got yourself a new job at NASA!

Of course as Jason is the developer he knows better than me, but I can tell you that all the climb and performance figures are COMPLETELY accurate at all weights and power settings.

There is one word that describes a climbout with a lightly loaded 777LR - exhilarating!!

- Jane Whittaker

Jane,

It all sounds amazing. Especially the time compression feature.

So how long does Beta testing last?

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

Jane,

It all sounds amazing. Especially the time compression feature.

Dave it is amazing seriously. RSR gave us complete freedom to say what we like and what we don't like in the forums and you know what, none of us can find a thing that is not pitch perfect with this aircraft. That is genuine and serious!

We keep getting OMG moments in the testing group, like for example when the first one of us got notified (complete with an EICAS message!) that the cabin was now secure for departure!

- Jane Whittaker

@JR

Will you be doing the same in-depth features as you are currently doing for the NGX in PCP?

A wing view with flaps all the way down and spoilers up would be awesome too!  :rolleyes:

Thank you for the fantastic previews Jane!

A wing view with flaps all the way down and spoilers up would be awesome too! 

There is a wing view that's set up perfectly for that.  Hopefully someone else will post something for you.  If not, I'll remind myself to do it Sunday when I get back home and back to the sim.

Kyle Rodgers

RSR gave us complete freedom to say what we like and what we don't like in the forums and you know what, none of us can find a thing that is not pitch perfect with this aircraft. That is genuine and serious!

We keep getting OMG moments in the testing group, like for example when the first one of us got notified (complete with an EICAS message!) that the cabin was now secure for departure!

The more I read, the bigger my smile gets. I am truly excited for this. Is finding nothing that is not pitch perfect a good thing? Beta will be short?

can anyone confirm that a system performing well the ngx will perform well this most promesing product?

I'm flying on a good system, but still a laptop, and no way to change, because my job makes me travel all the time ...

Besides the CDU, what 2D panels are there? I know there isn't a complete 2D panel, but are there pop outs for the PFD, ND, etc? Or the MCP perhaps?