Sign in to follow this  
JaneRachel

777 first beta impressions

Do I see an option for the FMC to load the fuel in for you?! See, with the NGX, I just guessed the amount of fuel (don't kill me!), so, if I were to select "medium" range, it would load a suitable amount of fuel in?

Or, with the NGX and this, am I thinking of something different, was the fuel done auto in the NGX, too?

Andy, you raise a really important and another exciting point!

Yes, you can load in fuel through the FMC, either a pilot specificied value or the presets such as medium and long range,but that is scraping the surface only.

Wouldn't it be great if there were proper ground operations modelled? say with a known turnaround time. During that time the aircraft can be loaded with passengers and baggage and you could ask for the aircraft to be refuelled, all in real-time. Everyone on the ground would ensure that the aircraft was ready to go when the turnaround time was complete.

Well, I can reveal another well kept secret (sorry RSR!), PMDG Ground Operations is now an integral part of the aircraft.

You can see on this page (I have zoomed the CDU up manually, so don't worry about the aspect ratio - it is me doing this with my mouse!)

Ta Da queue drum roll - Ground Operations

You can see the turnaround time I have chosen. You can use presets or select your own turnaround time at the gate.

I have requested 50,000lbs of fuel. I had 9999 already in the tanks, so I need an uplift of 41,000lbs from the fuel truck. The fuelling guy has given me an estimate of how long that fuel will take to fill. You can monitor fuel entering the tanks with the fuel synoptic too!

I know how long I have left at the gate and how much of that gate time is going to be taken up with the refuelling etc! The refuelling might not start straight away, but the ground guys will get to you with plenty of time to spare before your agreed pushback time!

groundops_zps8fc6bafc.jpg

- Jane Whittaker

PS on my above image, notice how the APU is taking fuel from the left tanks due to the centre being empty (hence the X). When sufficient fuel hit my centre tank, hey presto, the APU automatically changed to a centre tank feed!

and how about terrain and TCAS ?

terrain and TCAS modelling are fully and accurately implemented, here is a terrain shot from on the ground In Reno

terrain_zpsef5d8a69.jpg

- Jane Whittaker

another nice feature is the manual or automatic control of all the cabin lights

lights1_zps5ffcab0d.jpglights2_zpsfa7b2153.jpg

- Jane Whittaker

Can you preview the APU sounds from the exterior please? Or reveal in context how realistic it sounds. Thanks.

another nice feature of the 777 FMC is automatically suggested alternates. Of course you can override with an alternate of your own choice, but it is a nice feeling to always have a constantly updated list of the nearest airports with a runway long enough for landing.

The FMC generated alternates will appear on your navigation display with the legend A circled in blue! You can also ask the FMC to calculate a direct course there if you feel the need to divert!

alternate_zpsaca3553e.jpg

- Jane Whittaker

Jane:  can I (hopefully) assume that with the PMDG T7 coming, your PCP jet liner tutorials will shift away  from the 737 to the 777?

spacer.png

Without these aux tanks, the aircraft can carry 47,890 US Gallons and 53,515 US Gallons WITH these aux tanks. I think it´s possible to activate these tanks in the settings?! 

Maurice, you are quite right, there are a number of fuel tank options in the settings, including the full three auxiliary tanks for maximum range, so you have no worries at all!

auxtanks_zps8e78945c.jpg

- Jane Whittaker

can someone explain the purpose of the APU outlet/inlet/the thing sticking up by the tail?
Is that for the air to come in?

Hi! Did they model a cabin at all? or just the VC? Thanks!

one of the guys posted cabin shots on the forum yesterday, showing both business and economy layouts. It has to be said though, in all honesty, this aircraft is really not about nicely rendered cabins, but getting your hands on the controls :)

- Jane Whittaker

You feel the weight, I have done a few 14+ hour flights in the last two weeks. YVR-SYD-YVR, YVR-HKG-YVR, SEA-DXB-SEA and YYZ-HKG-YYZ (via the Polar Route) and those flights have departed with the MTOW averaging 700,000 lbs of cargo and fuel. The 200LR is the hot rod of the 777s, you get really good climb rates even at MTOW. Its a bit unnerving to see the end of the runway approach quickly when you hit your VR (around 170kts give or take a few knots). The 200LR ain't no slouch when it comes to flying and has too much power attached to it.  

Try taking off with 80,000lbs of fuel and no cargo or pax, your climbing out at 6000 fpm with your airspeed still increasing, you will break through flap retraction speeds in a hurry. You need to be on your toes... its fun, like a 757 on double dosage of steroids. I think personally, way more fun than flying a 757.

Cheers,

How was your Polar route performance? On the 747-400X I have always had the aircraft veering off course and doing sharp turns to chase route.

I have a question for beta team members:

Dirt. How bad is it in the cockpit? Oily finger prints on the screens? Nasty caked in grime on the knobs? How dirty is the exterior?

I'm not all OCD about cleanliness but I wanna be prepared! :)

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

another nice feature of the 777 FMC is automatically suggested alternates. Of course you can override with an alternate of your own choice, but it is a nice feeling to always have a constantly updated list of the nearest airports with a runway long enough for landing.

The FMC generated alternates will appear on your navigation display with the legend A circled in blue! You can also ask the FMC to calculate a direct course there if you feel the need to divert!

Is the ETP (Equi Time Point) for ETOPS operations simulated in the FMC?

Regard,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

I just wish PMDG would make some shop in Europe sell their full flight manual sets. Would buy one but shipping with Fedex to Finland would be over 230 dollars or so, almost as much as the actual complete chief pilot's flight manual set. Way too much.

Regards

Joona L