Sign in to follow this  
TracyQ

172, Realair or A2A?

I certainly won't buy both, don't see the reason. Given the choice I'll probably stick with Realair, probably because I own two of their planes which happen to be my faves in my hanger!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

My lame approach: get the one that supports DX10 cockpit shadows (which is neither).  That is why at this time I fly the in-game C-172 with the freebie RA FS9 C-172 FM inserted into it.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

I have tremendous respect for both development teams.  I would hope that we can end up at least with two different kinds of 172.  A2A is shooting for an R model.  Maybe RealAir can shoot for an older 60s-70s model, or maybe even the old straight tail.  It would be easier to justify getting both if they represent different types of 172. 

Cheers

TJ

Probably both, the first on release (for these developers I'll break my own don't buy on release rule) and the other when funds allow.

In the meantime, there's my "pimped" default 172 with RealAir FDE, RealityXP T and N gauges, FSD radios and Friendly panels GPS...aka "Frankenplane".

:smile:

Based on the  Legacy I'll opt for Realair, then again if A2A are first of the blocks impatience might get the better of me. I'm flying the Carenado version for a few years now so it'll be interesting to see how much it can be eclipsed. 

A2A due to the advanced Engine Modeling. In a GA this will make all the difference! But I expect the RA to come with a kick &@($* FDE also! Let's see, it will be fun to compare those two, and since lots of people have real C172 experience, lots of judges!

It's almost more brave to release a C172 than something like a Lancair Legacy or P-51. Everyone will have an opinion about how it doesn't behave exactly like the C172 at their flight school...

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Look forward to either of them but won´t buy both.  The strange thing for me is, the Realair website has not been updated for a very long time, Realair post here often but never mention anything, even PMDG are not that secret!

-Iain Watson-

Look forward to either of them but won´t buy both.  The strange thing for me is, the Realair website has not been updated for a very long time, Realair post here often but never mention anything, even PMDG are not that secret!

I like RealAir a lot but I've never understood their persistent refusal to give people a reason to pay their website a regular visit. If I'm not mistaken, the last change was the announcement of the 172, what, a year ago now?

Don´t understand either, it was beginning June 2012 when they announced the 172 under the "coming soon" header.  Rob is on here all the time and doesn´t say anything, if I could spend money on all addons I would, but do I buy the openLC for Orbx, the DC6, the 777, not sure, I can´t buy them all. I don´t understand Realair´s business methods?

-Iain Watson-

We make announcements when there is something to say. Our business methods are to make quality aircraft and support our customers. We've been doing that for nearly 12 years and our customers think that's quite a good business method! When we say "coming soon" that is in the context of the development time of each aircraft we produce, which has never taken less than a year.

The C172 is in development and will be released when it is ready. We never take advanced orders or do advanced hype. We release things quietly and do minimal "marketing" because the only marketing really worthwhile is customer feedback. We're a two man team and almost all our available time is spent helping customers, updating current aircraft so they last, and slowly but surely developing the next item on the list. We do have families to attend to, friends and other interests, all of which keep us sane.

That's our business model and it works for us, and seems to keep our customers happy too!

Best Wishes,

Rob - RealAIr

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Folks, remember that Realair is run by just two guys, Rob and Sean.  They don't have a big PR department like some of the bigger development groups.  They don't need a big PR department either, because we as simmers already know the excellent quality of their work from previous releases.   Having a Cessna emblem on their 'coming soon' page for a year is just how they do things.   I think the Duke was on the coming soon page for quite a long while too.  They will show more screenshots when they are ready to release it, until then, enjoy their other airplanes.  I have no problem with this method either as the high quality of the finished addon will speak for itself.  I've bought everything Rob and Sean have made since their FS9 Scout and every purchase has been worth every cent. B)

Cheers

TJ

All is cool, I know a bit about the company and dealt with Robert a few times for support. It's good to hear its ongoing...it's still alive! I don't ask for anything else. Sorry if I came across too pushy.

-Iain Watson-

Definitely the one from A2A. Realair has done some great work with the Legacy and Turbine Duke, but I couldn't do without accu-sim anymore.

Both for sure if RealAir release theirs first. If A2A are first, probably still both, since I have every RealAir plane with the exception of the Lancair and that's only because I don't like Lancairs, and the SF260 already fills that space adequately, nothing against RealAir.

In another thread during the past week Rob gave some (very interesting) details of an approaching Duke upgrade, I asked specifically about the 172, but got no response, so it looks like A2A's will be available first.

I hope I'm wrong though. :smile:

It seems that both companies are doing the airplanes in a detailed and through fashion. Otherwise it wouldn't have lasted this long.

Hopefully though, we'll get either of them this fall. I was kind of expecting the RA offering to shoot the market before last christmas :). Obviously that was an error in my part, as these things do take time. Especially if quality is what they are after.

Tero

PPL(A)