Sign in to follow this  

Hi Simmers,

I enabled DX10 last week, and fsx has become much smoother. However, I discovered that, when running 4096 resolution texture for REX Essential Overdrive clouds with AS2012, I found that my GTX 660 is running at full load (Nvidia Inspector Monitor), and sometimes can only turn out 15 fps. My CPU is an i7-3770k running at 4.5Ghz and any of the 4 cores does not seem to run at 100% (Windows Task Manager). My FSX is tweaked with Xtreme FSX  PC (I also tried the AVSIM guide, which did not work as well as the Xtreme FSX PC) so I believe the FPS should be maximized. So do you have an opinion as to how to get better fps without changing the cloud resolution. Or do I have to get an GTX 780.

Thanks,

Zicheng

Zicheng Cai

let me tell you something Cai, I went from a 580gtx to a 780gtx last week, and I have been simming for quite a few yrs. I know its expensive, but I am pleasantly surprised with the performance of my Nivida 780gtx, FSX was never so smooth, still every once in a while will have those stutters, but that's cause FSX was coded on 06 platform. Yes I have 3770k overclocked to 4.4ghz, I would go for it.

let me tell you something Cai, I went from a 580gtx to a 780gtx last week, and I have been simming for quite a few yrs. I know its expensive, but I am pleasantly surprised with the performance of my Nivida 780gtx, FSX was never so smooth, still every once in a while will have those stutters, but that's cause FSX was coded on 06 platform. Yes I have 3770k overclocked to 4.4ghz, I would go for it.

Great purchase!

Zicheng Cai

Extremely dense cloud cover at 90 mile radius is the only thing that kills FPS with my 4.5Ghz 4770k with a max OCed 3GB 660 ti, using DX10 at 4x16 MSAA and 2xGSAA.  It'd be quite impressive if any GPU could slay that dragon in FSX...is the 780gtx up to it?

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

is the 780gtx up to it?

it's almost twice as fast as your current 660Ti. My old 580 was almost there so I would say a 780 should handle 2xSGSS no problem

it's almost twice as fast as your current 660Ti. My old 580 was almost there so I would say a 780 should handle 2xSGSS no problem

But will this 780 performance give you, while AA/GSAA is enabled, smooth performance when flying through a 90 (or more) mile radius with two or more layers of extremely dense cloud cover?  BTW, I'm not trying to bash anything here; I just want to know if there really is hope that a GPU will overcome this situation in FSX.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)